08 FZ1 test ride

I'm in the market for yet another bike so I found this 2008 fz1 (9000km)and took it for a spin. BTW I also have an 03 R6...of coarse totally different, ride was smooth suspension was a bit hard and the seat (would have to go). One thing..for a bike claiming 150 hp I didn't think it felt like it, now traffic was heavy but I guess I was expecting a lot more. I know its a sport tour but isn't this machine supposed to wake up at 8 g's.( don't get me wrong it moved pretty good) clutch made a bit of noise until I pulled in the lever . shifted well and had a nice low cruising RPM at 100kph. Does this bike really suck when it comes to fuel economy ???? I have read 32mpg.. Am I expecting to much? I know the R6 is a different breed..Im looking for a sporty look but a good seating/handle bar..position. decent comfort..and lots of power.any comments would be great.... ...getting old fellas. BTW I did like the bike and may put in an offer

This tends to be a typical complaint with the FZ1 (Gen II). I also had the same complaint. Do some searching on this site, specifically on mods. A few simple and almost free mods will really wake the bike up. For me changing the stock exhaust (18lbs), removing the center stand (12lbs), changing the air filter, adding new secondary throttle plates, and PC3 really made a huge difference. I finally have the bike I thought I was buying; a very quick sport tourer that I can ride all day. Ivan's performance product website clearly show the benefits of all these mods. He also has a ECM re flash that also dramatically seems to improve overall performance and economy. Speaking of economy a long highway trip usually yields 35-38 mpg. Not great but not bad. Good luck with the potential purchase.

The stock FZ1 doesn't have 150hp. If you want the performance your going to have to spend a little. Add a slip on, do the air box mod with a performance filter, add a fuel controler then give your ECM to Ivan and let him do the reflash. Then you'll get your 150hp. Before I did the flash I could only get 125 miles out of a fuel tank of fuel before the fuel gauge started to flash and now with the flash and a PCV (or JuiceBox Pro) I can get 175 miles before the gauge starts to flash.

Stock Fz1 dynocharts that I've seen to the rear wheel are 124-129 hp. I think at the crank it's an estimated 150 hp. I've heard of forum members getting close to 150 hp to the rear wheel after going through extensive (somewhat expensive mods). Slip on Exhaust with Decat, Airbox mod with HiFlo filter, ECU reflash from Ivan's Performance, PC3/PC5, fly mod, etc. Shedding weight from the exhaust, the center stand, going naked, fender eliminator, changing to lithium battery. Upgrade the suspension, fork springs and new rear shock.

I was coming off an Fz6 so the Fz1 is more than enough to handle for the time being.

The Fz1 is a great template for a comfortable ride with a sporty side.

I was on the fence for a new R1 but was thinking of modifying it for more comfort. Then I noticed a new 2012 FZ1 sitting there at a very nice price. One test ride told me that this was the bike. More than enough power to keep me grinning, comfortable seating postion, cushy seat, decent fuel mileage and of course Yamaha's reliability. Done deal.

I don't think I will need any performance mods since I like the look of the stock exhaust, the bike will break any speed limit in 1st gear (75mph and below) and can lift the front wheel almost at will. Did I mention that I'm a bit over 60 and don't need to prove my skills to anyone.

The only mods I did and plan to do are: SpeedoDRD, Frame sliders, 12V outlet, GIVI Windscreen, GIVI removable side racks and V35 cases, tank pad, RAM GPS mount, Throttlemeisters and a PIAA Horn. I still saved a couple Gs over the cost of the R1 so I got a premium helmet with communicator, riding gear (Textile, Leather and mesh) and boots.

Last edited:
A box stock FZ1 kept above 7k or 8k rpm will outperform almost all four wheeled vehicles, and most bikes as well. How much you want to spend $ and time on mods is up to you, some owners like to take the effort as part of the hobby, others would rather be out riding. Your choice.

You won't find a service manual anywhere on this or any other forum due to copy right laws I believe. However there are a lot of good people on this forum that would be willing to help you with any repairs or service you need. Someone may be able to direct you on where to get a service manual cheap, but unfortunately I only know of the dealer and for that you will spend close to $100.

The stock FZ1 doesn't have 150hp. If you want the performance your going to have to spend a little. Add a slip on, do the air box mod with a performance filter, add a fuel controler then give your ECM to Ivan and let him do the reflash. Then you'll get your 150hp. Before I did the flash I could only get 125 miles out of a fuel tank of fuel before the fuel gauge started to flash and now with the flash and a PCV (or JuiceBox Pro) I can get 175 miles before the gauge starts to flash.

How much does changes cost ?

How much does changes cost ?
New?
Air filter $80
Air box mod DIY
ECU/Ivans reflash - call IVAN, but worth every penney.
Slip on - $300 +
PC3 $250 +-

More / better performance and better fuel economy too.

Welcome to the site and FZ1 ownership! Many, if not most of us, found the stock seat uncomfortable. For me, I got "butt burn" in about 45 minutes. I mounted a Corbin saddle and things are better now. I get about 90 minutes before needing a stint off the bike.

As for performance, coming from an R6, it may be difficult to impress you. Most of my riding is done at or below 7K on the tach and is sufficient for almost all occasions for me. Above 7K the party starts, but really extra-legal in about any gear and things really happen quickly.

The FZ1 is sort of like a blank canvas. You can make it about whatever you wish. Not many of us leave our bike "unmolested".

Have fun!

Jeff

New?
Air filter $80
Air box mod DIY
ECU/Ivans reflash - call IVAN, but worth every penney.
Slip on - $300 +
PC3 $250 +-

More / better performance and better fuel economy too.

Right on except I personally would get the full Yosh exhaust system as it provides large gains in the midrange and isn't too crazy expensive at round $750.
I would also budget for a rear shock upgrade ($150 <adapter and R1 shock> to $800 <penske>) and seat improvements ($150 reworked by Mr Dirt Road)_
Here are two charts from Ivan's site that tell the story. The first shows a stock bike VS one with his FCE. The second shows the pre-flash "full package" vs the flashed ECU full package. Notice the gain of 25hp at 7.5K rpm. That is absolutely huge. Figure 12hp less in the mid range with the stock header and slip on.

Stock bike is pretty soft for a liter bike and with the gear based power restrictions I personally never found the front end lifting without herculean efforts from the rider. After mods the power would certainly impress an R6 rider. The smooth, seamless delivery is also light years ahead of what the factory gave us. . . .

Attachments

• stk ecu vs. ivans.gif
    stk ecu vs. ivans.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 104
Is there a service manual available somewere on this site ?

Short answer is NO.

You won't find a service manual anywhere on this or any other forum due to copy right laws I believe. However there are a lot of good people on this forum that would be willing to help you with any repairs or service you need. Someone may be able to direct you on where to get a service manual cheap, but unfortunately I only know of the dealer and for that you will spend close to $100.

Buying a service manual from a legitimate source is a small price to pay, and a good investment for a bike you will have for a number of years. It will more than pay for itself over the time you have your bike. I have had one for every bike I have owned, and they now come on CD from the dealer for very little money. Then you can print job specific pages and have them handy as you do the job.

new fz

thanks for all the help and tips and the warm welcome.....well I bought it and i'm pretty exited about it. My intent is to make it look as sporty as possible. the stock front signal have to go, I need something flush mount or as close to flush but they have to work if you know what I mean...need to be seen ya know....also it came with a touring windshield and I would like a sporty smoked not black replacement..i know you people have a wealth of knowledge in this field so all suggestion would be great....BTW need a real seat to LOL...the stock one seems to push me toward the tank and de nut me...seat suggestions welcome...the power up mods will come later
did I mention that the bike is dark grey and the only mod was the tidy tail....looking forward to many sporty and comfortable miles ahead.
thank you all again
Ed....proud new FZ1 owner

Back