07 FZ1 Manual & engine warmup

Hi all, I'm a new FZ1 rider with 550km's on the odometer, I would like to know if riding the FZ1 with a cold engine *Lo on the temp meter* cause damage to its engine (basically ride straight after the dashboard does its self check). Currently I wait for the engine temperature to read 50 degrees before I ride; is this necessary?, in the manual it states that I can ride with the temp meter reading "Lo" (Page 3-5: Instrument and Control Functions).

Last edited:
manual in states says...."for maximum engine life, always warm the engine up before starting off. Never accelerate hard while the engine is cold!"

After sitting overnight, let it warm up while you are putting gear on and easy for a few KMs.

I'd give it a chance to warm up....to at least the "LO" that the land down under manual specifies.

manual in states says....\"for maximum engine life, always warm the engine up before starting off. Never accelerate hard while the engine is cold!\"

After sitting overnight, let it warm up while you are putting gear on and easy for a few KMs.

I'd give it a chance to warm up....to at least the \"LO\" that the land down under manual specifies.

"Lo" is the temperature reading that shows up as soon as you start the bike up (if you haven't ridden it before hand). This reading disappears after the engine has warmed up past 39 degrees celcius. My question is will I damage the engine riding it **conservatively; ie. not revving it to 12g after start off lol..** in the "Lo" temp range (below 39 degrees) or should I wait till the engine warms up to 40 degrees and over.

As with any engine that uses oil in a sump, you should at least give two minutes to let the oil circulate up into the motor before heading off into the sunset. I've seen these guys that turn the key and take off. That can't be good for the state of the piton rings. Some may disagree with me on this. For me, it's more important to let the bike warm up for at least two minutes than to wait for a specific engine temperature. Once the oil is up in the motor, even if you took off and just kept the rpm's down, you would be just fine.

As with any engine that uses oil in a sump, you should at least give two minutes to let the oil circulate up into the motor before heading off into the sunset. I've seen these guys that turn the key and take off. That can't be good for the state of the piton rings. Some may disagree with me on this. For me, it's more important to let the bike warm up for at least two minutes than to wait for a specific engine temperature. Once the oil is up in the motor, even if you took off and just kept the rpm's down, you would be just fine.

That's my method also. :tup:

well to clarify -- b/c I did not in original -- I usually let me bike warm up as I'm putting gear on (start/roll it out of garage/say goodbye to family/jacket/mp3/helmet/glasses/gloves/backback) and then cruise along for about a mile in the neighborhood.

seems to have worked well for me soo far.....

Billy -- gonna test your memory....remember back when I had posed a question on the "other" forum (maybe here) about a noise that was being generated upon start up in cold temperatures that disapperared after the bike had warmed up. Well, it is no longer dependent upon the cold and does it consistently.....any thoughts??

Adam

With modern oils and modern bikes I think it's just a waste of gas to let the bike sit there idling. Now in the warm weather it doesn't take the oil very long to circulate throughout the engine. Also since the Gen II bikes are FI you don't have the issue of some of the carbureted bikes that want to stall if you don't let them warm up for a minute or two. I know my previous Yamaha (97 YZF1000) was like that.

All that being said use common sense if you take off right after you start the bike. Let it reach operating temperature before really revving it and you'll be fine.

sound????
reach down and feel where the clutch lever disappears into motor block on right side (if sitting on bike), do you feel it there??
todd

after doing some research----it points to the EXUP. I'll adjust and see if that improves.

The sound is like a rattle that is intermittent. I really experienced it this winter upon start up in the am after sitting overnight and would go away when bike reached operating temp. Now, in full on summer, it stills comes/goes --

I'll report more upon investigation....

Adam

Back