'07 for '09 with retro kit?

Ok, I've been toying with the idea of 'upgrading' my blue '07 to a formerly blue '09 now with retro kit. I know the original owner and the bike is pretty bone stock (mine is mostly stock too). The dealer decided the blue wasn't selling, so he took advantage of Yamaha clearing out the retro kits and stuck one on it. Wow, I like it, but I don't know that there is enough advantage to trade from an '07 to an '09. I might get the blue parts thrown in too, not sure. They rode my bike and I rode theirs. I really like the stock handle bars better than the ones the previous owner stuck on my bike.

I know the fueling is slightly better on the '09 and it's 2 years newer, but I can't really justify $2000 for the trade. I figure I'd be better off putting the money (if I had it to burn) in the suspension and intake/exhaust of my bike.

I'm just looking for some opinions. Here's a couple pics I took today after my ride.

Oh yeah, I saw my first Super Tenerre today too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have a hard time with the 2grand. you sure could do alot with that much money to the bike you have. correct me if i wrong but they are basicaly the same bike? may be a little better ecu in the 09? Just seems to me to be alot for diff paint. you could probley get someone to sell you their retro kit for $2000 and they will probley put it on for you. lol. you may be able to get it painted for that much money. or maybe some vinal graphix for yors. any way do what makes you happy. just my oppion.

Take the $2k and buy suspension and cap it with the stock FZ1 bars for another $50. You can get the Ak 20 fork cartridges and a Penske 8983 dual with remote reservoir for almost $2k. Then you have a planted bike.

Or, I'm sure there are left over retro kits SOMEWHERE and they've been going for under $700.00. Then add shipping. Here's one: FZ1 Retro Body Kit from Yamaha Accessories & Apparel

And a dealer on ebay with 9 of them at $675 with free shipping. YAMAHA FZ-1 RETRO BODY KIT FITS 2006-2011 FZ-1'S INCLUDES TANK, FAIRING,COWLS + on eBay!

Yea, you can buy the kit for $675 shipped (or at least that was the price last week on eBay). As suggested you can sell some of your stock body pieces to recoup some of the money. As for the handle bars...well you can easily rectify that.

IMHO there's not enough of a difference between the '07 and the '09 model to justify an upgrade. Just mod your bike :D

You gotta be kidding me? The red fender looks stupid on that bike -- doesn't tie in with the paint.

PUT YOUR MONEY IN SUSPENSION. This way everyone will know that you really want to learn how to ride.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I was topped out at $1500. And that was my top. Stealership wanted $1000 per year newer AND the money for the retro kit. I think $2000 is as low as he'd go, so it can set another year and then we'll talk $1000 trade. :)

I'd rather have the suspension. I just wanted to confirm that the '07 and '09 were basically the same bike.

What's a good price for the '09 blue parts? I might shoot him a lowball offer for those. BTW I like the red fender on the retro.

Oh yeah. I have Michelin PR3 tires with less than 800 miles. I would have had to switch tires too!

Thanks for all the replies. Besides, blue is faster anyway! ;)

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I was topped out at $1500. And that was my top. Stealership wanted $1000 per year newer AND the money for the retro kit. I think $2000 is as low as he'd go, so it can set another year and then we'll talk $1000 trade. :)

I'd rather have the suspension. I just wanted to confirm that the '07 and '09 were basically the same bike.

What's a good price for the '09 blue parts? I might shoot him a lowball offer for those. BTW I like the red fender on the retro.

Oh yeah. I have Michelin PR3 tires with less than 800 miles. I would have had to switch tires too!

Thanks for all the replies. Besides, blue is faster anyway! ;)

True, it just isn't silver fast! :nana:

ZERO benefit. The kits can still be had if you search around for $700 or so and put the rest in the penske 8983 - $800 and traxxion valving $500. That nicely rounds up the $2000. Plus you can sell your stock body work for $500 or so.

Back