05 FZ1 motogp shifting mod wanted

Just replaced R6 with FZ1 my last 4 sport bikes have had GP shifting, would really like it on the new toy. Problem, can't find the part or linkage to do so online.This is my next stop for assisstance. Anyone point me in the right direction? also noticed after further inspection the rotating shaft and linkage in the expansion chamber(power valve?) area of exnaust has been removed is this a common practice? and if so, why? thanx for any help

quick shifter

Just replaced R6 with FZ1 my last 4 sport bikes have had GP shifting, would really like it on the new toy. Problem, can't find the part or linkage to do so online.This is my next stop for assisstance. Anyone point me in the right direction? also noticed after further inspection the rotating shaft and linkage in the expansion chamber(power valve?) area of exnaust has been removed is this a common practice? and if so, why? thanx for any help

Try this site for the quick shifter:Motorcycle Quickshifter, Powershift gear shifter or Race Gauge: Translogic
One of the Gen 1 guys will chime in about the EXUP valve.

aftermarket for your shifting needs, Gilles I think has the ability to do this for the gen I.

Did the previous owner install a full exhaust system?

If you are still using the stock exhaust (even with a a slip-on) then I would try and get the EXUP valve working again. It's not common practice to remove it unless the previous owner let it seize or didn't know any better. You'll lose low-mid range power and gain nothing on the top end by removing it. Check out this page for basic EXUP valve maintenance as well as to see what parts you may need to purchase:

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

No new system BroHay, the exhaust "upgrade" appears to be the elimination of the EXUP valve,(thanks for your help on that NJFZ1, good info!) and a Bolt on D&D. Looks like I'll be scavaging EXUP parts shortly. Is there an aftermarket exhaust system that will give me the same low-mid range torque without the EXUP available to anyones knowledge?

A full system can run you 650-800. Sometimes you might be able to find one for sale.

I was able to obtain a muzzy header from a board member on the "other" forum that will bolt upto my MIVV GP Shorty. Yoshimura has a full system, but I don't know if I has the ability to be joined with other cans......

FlEabay is a good source to find an EXUP.

If you go full system, will require a rejet of the carbs and porting the carb boots.

One could pay ALOT of money, or more than is needed, to go with someone else packaged kit, but there is a poor mans kit that has just as much success, but it requires you to do some of the work.

va_rider is the source of all good info, this and pretty much everything else.

No new system BroHay, the exhaust \\"upgrade\\" appears to be the elimination of the EXUP valve,(thanks for your help on that NJFZ1, good info!) and a Bolt on D&D. Looks like I'll be scavaging EXUP parts shortly. Is there an aftermarket exhaust system that will give me the same low-mid range torque without the EXUP available to anyones knowledge?

With these engines if you go with a full aftermarket exhaust you'll always lose a little bit of low-mid range as compared to the stock exhaust with a properly working EXUP valve. However, I would think a properly designed 4-2-1 full exhaust once properly jetted should work well. Stay away from a 4-1 full exhaust for this bike unless all you care about is the top-end.

I would suggest that you get the EXUP valve working again and then decide if you really want to mess with a full exhaust or not.

It appears that replacing the EXUP is the practical course at this point. Ebay really BroHay? I'll check it out.Appreciate the heads up on aftermarket stuff NJFZ1, I'll look for a used system first of course. If that doesnt work, I doubt a new EXUP system will cost any more than aftermarket+ tuning. Thanks for all the help!

Unless you try to obtain oem from the dealer or from a yamaha parts house......

The "other" forum is also also a good source to try since most of the members here are Gen II owners. Just all depends upon timing really.

if all else fails... you can buy the stock header pretty cheap on eBay with the EXUP in tact...

For me... a full system really isn't worth the extra cash... I raced a guy on a Gen 1 with Dale Walker header, hi-mount pipe... stage 2 jetting with pod filters... etc.. we had the same gearing.. at the time, I had stock jetting and just a LeoVince slip-on. I smoked his salmon... at the 1/2 mile mark, I was no less than 8 bike-lengths ahead... I'm also heavier than he is... so... low end losses aren't made up for by the top end slight gains.

Back