02 Gen I RPM Question

mgosset1

Noticed my bike at 60mph running 4k rpm's and at 70mph running 4.6k rpm's....does this sound stock normal ....... seems a little high to me for factory sprockets but I could be way wrong on it....Have had the bike a few months now and it runs like the true Beast that these bikes are know for....
I have owned numerous 1 liter and above sport bikes and none of them ran quite like this bike here runs....This bike is wicked fast....lol...
Bad thing about it is I have very little history on this bike...I know the previous owner who put 300 miles on it, then parked it....but don't know the original owner....Bike was sold new right here in Irving,Tx....Can I get nosy and find out who bought this bike new....Could get some history then....Is there a way to do this...??? Any help appreciated....

That sounds about right for stock gearing. I had a vtwin before and it took a while to get used to the higher rpms for me too. When I'm on twisty roads, after jetting I'm usually around 6-7k rpms. Before jetting, it was closer to 9k to stay smooth. The bike doesn't mind the high rpms at all. With out jetting there's a kick in the pants just before you get to 9k that catapults you into the stratosphere. After jetting, it's a steady climb and it feels like you're on a rocket. I love my bike!

And since you're gonna ask, I did the Raven Rider Carb stuff rather than going with a commercial kit. I've ridden an 02 with a commercial kit and really couldn't tell too much difference between the two bikes.

I would like to see that 60mph at around 3.5k rpm....I ran it up to 90mph and noticed a little vibration in the bars which was not too bad....
Owner at the yamaha shop told me if i thought my bike was fast, that i should ride one of the fuel injected ones....said their a lot quicker....man i just can't imagine that...lol...

Didn't feel that much quicker to me on the short ride I got to take. Hopefully I'll get another ride next month at the yamaha demo.

A sprocket change will get you where you want to be with the rpms. Don't ask me which way to go though. I don't have a problem with the rpms where they are so I haven't taken the time to learn details about it. I've learned as long as I stay below 5k, I get the ultimate gas mileage--220 to the tank. Stock gearing also works well for me on the twisty roads I like to ride. I suppose if I rode straighter roads more often, I'd have more incentive to learn about gearing changes.

I have an 02 with factory gearing and was wondering the same thing. At 80 it's running 5200 rpm. Just the right rpm to wipe out vibe in the bars. Mine is ivanized with k&n as ported boots, definitely helped eliminate vibration. On twisties I ride in the powerband, about 6500 rpm and tend to cruise about 4500 rpm. It
Pulls from 4500 like a beast though!

thanks for the info; looks like i am running factory sprockets...

one more thing; if anyone in the states is interested in my gytr risers that lower the bars let me know....i would like to go back to the stock set up....

Back