02 FZ1 Re-gains its Street Wothyiness!

Lentech

02 FZ1 Re-gains its Street Worthyiness!

I picked up this bike last year as a parts bike as it was a 03 branded wreck as the frame was bent in a front end collision. I stumbled on an 02 frame with title and some spare parts for $300 so we made the swap. I was missing the front cowl and all related bits except for the instument cluster and I came up empty handed on some used pieces to complete it at a reasonable price. The Tank was banged up so I sent it to a budy who has a body shop and for $300 laid on some fresh black paint on all the bodywork. I Ordered in some cheap chrome head lights and brackets and fabricated some mounts for the instuments off the the bar riser mounts. I modified what was left of the original instrument mount and placed a small brace from it to between the headlamps where they bolt together in the middle. We also intalled some LED diamond shaped turn signals and I located the front ones into the original upper rad mounts. I chopped off the back fender and and original licence plate mount and fabricated some brakets for a licence plate and signal mounts that pushes up under the fender for those hooligan rides.......Just in case I need to run the Cops!!! I removed the passenger pegs and mounts and fabricated a baffle for a short stubby stainless $30 automotive exhaust tip and it sounds great!. It all fit together like was ment to be this way........I'm so happy with the looks of the bike I think I'm going to drive her this summer as my main machine.

Last edited:
Nice! I love the look of that exaust tip, how loud is it?

I'd qualify the noise level as average......quiet enough for the street. There's a 8" 2.25" fluted baffle then another 12" 1.75" on the inside of it that goes down into the collector box........I love the stubby look of it instead of the pipe and can.

Beautiful work. I've got an '09 naked/streetfighter fz1 and love the look and feel of it.

What's with the flip up license plate bracket? i thought those were illegal, at least here in the states.

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see an FZ1 brought back from the dead

I chopped off the back fender and and original licence plate mount and fabricated some brakets for a licence plate and signal mounts that pushes up under the fender for those hooligan rides.......Just in case I need to run the Cops!!!

:disapproval: :disapproval: :disapproval:

Please don't make motorcyclists more of a target than they already are, thanks! :)

Beautiful work. I've got an '09 naked/streetfighter fz1 and love the look and feel of it.

What's with the flip up license plate bracket? i thought those were illegal, at least here in the states.

You could be right....It wouldn't suprise me if we have the same law.

I had a length of 1" x 1/8" aluminum and I had to come the bottom of the tail light mount bolts under the fender about a 70 degree angle but did't have anything here in the shop so came up with this.

Ditto here, I really like that exhaust tip. Where did you get it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I bought it at the local auto parts store.......cheap cheap cheap!!!!........and it's even stainless steel! It is the same diameter as the collector so I used a wrap arond stainless clamp to secure it.

Cool, thank you! I just noticed your sig. What kind of times are you turning with the drag bike. I love the strip.

It's completely stock other than we tuned it on the dyno to 140 whp and it has gone a best of 7.13 in the 1/8th mile and best mph was 107+ but not in the same run.....Danny's best 60' times are in the 1.70 range although he managed a 1.69 once......The best I can muster in a couple of runs is a 1.90+ but Danny has alot more practice than I and seems to have mastered the throttle and clutch as he literly beat everything he raced including BMW S1000rr, a Suzuki GSXR1000 and more...........Their really comming on him near the top of the 1/8 but Danny crosses the stripe first!!!.......So entertaining to watch a low dollar FZ take out the expensive bikes :thewave:

Last edited:
I really like the look of that double headlamp setup.

They do seem to go well with the size of the stock instrument cluster. When sitting on the bike and glancing down at the instruments the head lamps don't look too wide and with the headlamp mounting brakets reaching out slightly from the forks I think its got a tuff look to it.

They do seem to go well with the size of the stock instrument cluster. When sitting on the bike and glancing down at the instruments the head lamps don't look too wide and with the headlamp mounting brakets reaching out slightly from the forks I think its got a tuff look to it.

Do you have a shot of the bike that shows off the front a bit more?

I keep going back and forth on going naked with my 02, but I commute on mine on the freeway and am not sure I would like the extra wind on me....

Back