02 fz1 no spark

hillm250

I have an 02 fz1 with 85k miles on it. It has never given me any trouble until today. It was idleing and the engine died and failed to restart after much trying (starter still cranked but wouldn't turn over) I eventually pulled the left most plug and cranked the motor, sure enough, no spark at all :/ I didn't have much time to mess with it, but fuses for the ignition system look good. I'm guessing since it won't run at all, none of the plugs are getting spark (I only tested the easiest one to get at). Anyone ever have this issue? If so what was causing it? I'm guessing it is the stator or the cdi box. I don't think it is the side stand switch because the bike was in neutral the whole time, but I never checked it.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ok, coils test good (both have the same primary resistance) pickup coil (inside stator) tests good. Is there a way to test the igniter box (black box)? The manual doesn't give any test procedure for that

If the bike is parked outside for any amount of time and maybe subject to rain and such, I'd start by cleaning the Kill Switch by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts. I'd do the same for the sidestand switch regardless whether she's in neutral or not. They are two easy things to troubleshoot without taking the whole bike apart.

Took apart the killswitch and cleaned like you suggested, still no spark. The sidestand switch was covered in chain lube/grit but still tested good, still no spark. I eventually bypassed the side stand switch entirely and still no spark. At this point I believe its the stator itself (not the pickup coil), or the CDI black box (which has no instructions for testing).

Does anyone have a Gen1 service manual with electrical schematic you could get to me? PM me for email address. If anyone can get me subsequent generations I would also appreciate those.

I would imagine Yamaha approaches ECU management of spark the same way as the FZ6 which I'm versed in. If it doesn't I have a strong background in trouble shooting and repair.

Thanks,
Cliff

I have been able to gather some information on this bike and it indeed is very much engineered electrically as the FZ6 circuits.

The coils packs are fed from the kill (red) switch. The ECU toggles the coil pack negative primary windings from open to ground. The ECU runs the coil packs and fuel injection/fuel pump as long as the starter cutout relay assembly is sending the correct logic to the ECU. Side stand, neutral signal, clutch switch signals must all make the criteria for the starter/cutout relay unit to allow for the starter relay and ECU to get the correct logic to operate.

Since you have the starter cranking, I would suspect that all your safeties are meeting the requirements for the ECU to operate all the systems. If you have lost spark on both coil packs at the same time I would look at the Crankshaft Position Sensor to make sure the ECU is getting the CPS signal. Check the obvious by inspecting harness plugs and wiring.

One coil pack will run the #1 and #4 cylinders and one coil pack will run the #2 and #3 cylinders.

Hope this helps and I've subbed this thread to see how you do on this.

Edit: I had my R1 crank but not start because of the lean angle sensor (Yeah I crashed) so that is also a suspect when you get cranking but no other joy.. :p

Thanks,
Cliff :)

Last edited:
Everything seems to be testing good. My only 2 guesses now are the CDI box or a problem with the stator rotor. I guess its time to buy a Ebay CDI and hope for the best.:mad:

The pick up coil measures the correct resistance. Though I guess I should crank the motor with the multimeter on the pick up coil wire to see if it reads anything.

Took apart the killswitch and cleaned like you suggested, still no spark. The sidestand switch was covered in chain lube/grit but still tested good, still no spark. I eventually bypassed the side stand switch entirely and still no spark. At this point I believe its the stator itself (not the pickup coil), or the CDI black box (which has no instructions for testing).

I am in the same boat. No spark, good coils, stator tests out OK, pick up tests out OK, grounds good, battery at full charge, safety switches all check out, bought a CDI off Ebay from a bike with 10 K on it, fuel pump relay checks out... I'm out of options at this point and am seriously considering parting out the POS.

Sorry to hear man, I ended up buying another 02 FZ1, but with only 18K on it from the original owner (its mint!). I will eventually try switching the CDI boxes to see if the old one gets spark. If thats not it it must be a mechanical problem with the stator because the pick up coil tests good, and does put out voltage when I crank the motor. All the coils and switches etc also test good. More than likely the old bike will be harvested for parts, but with 86K, it had a good run :D

Update, I tried it with the CDI from my new (to me) 02 FZ1 and still no spark.
Everything that I can test has tested good. I guess this narrows it down to the stator/magneto inside the engine.

Back