02 FZ1 Clutch

mgosset1

Adjusted my clutch the other day; bike runs and shifts good...Have noticed that when I initially put it in first it has a little jump to it, not bad...I assume they all do it....Should I have my clutch plates inspected in the shop or just go with the flow...Bike has 12k miles on it....When in neutral the back tire barely turns; don't really think there is a problem...just wondering...Maybe I am just too critical on this....bike runs great...their not cadillacs....
When I wrap up the rpm's on it, the shifting is super smooth...just cruising around town going thru the gears on low rpm's it is a little noisy shifting....Any opinions appreciated.....

VA your probably right...I may be over/critical on this...My 02 is about as clean as you will find in that year..really love this bike....Took it to the Yamaha house for inspection the other day; all they want to do is mod it out to make it faster....I'm 57 years old; it don't need to be any faster...They rode it there and said nothing about the clutch...

I've got 38,000 miles on the clutch on my Gen 1, and I regularly beat the everloving crap out of it... Wheelies, Drag Racing.... you name it.. anything that's bad for the clutch, that about explains how I ride it daily....

One spot where the Gen 1's clutch is notoriously weak is the clutch springs.... I replaced the springs on mine at about 15k as it was starting to slip just a hair... I went with the EBC springs that are stiffer than the stock units, and that made the clutch come back to life with no more slipping... I might look into doing the springs if I were you... but... other than that... these clutches are hard to mess up.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/230611...fff3fe8&itemid=230611822474&ff4=263602_325002

Last edited:
FYI, my Gen 1 had 60,000 miles when I sold it and the records I received from the original owner (and his son thereafter) indicate a clutch was never replaced so I would assume it was the OEM unit as they were very meticulous about keeping paperwork and getting things dealer-serviced.

At 60,000 miles, the clutch felt as good as any other bike I'd ever owned so I think you're safe.

Back