02 FZ-1 with engine trouble

I have a wonderful blue 02 gen 1 FZ-1 with 13k miles. I bought it a while ago from the most thorough person. He had had a new 01, sold it, then got the most cherry one he could, added an expensive Penske shock, Seargent seat, carbon muffler, etc. I found him on craigslist a a couple of hours away. Before I came up to see him, and I might not have shown, he put in new battery, oil, filter, and had it inspected! I have maintained it well and put on tires in October.It hasn't been ridden much.

It recently developed a rattle. I was told it was the cam chain,that there is a tensioner which if you run the bike would go to the next click and all would be well. I was then told that the noise is a real engine problem like a rod.

I am no mechanic and don't know what I am willing to get into. If you have some opinion, or would like to have this bike and fix it, let me know. Thanks and enjoy beautiful springtime riding.

I have a wonderful blue 02 gen 1 FZ-1 with 13k miles. I bought it a while ago from the most thorough person. He had had a new 01, sold it, then got the most cherry one he could, added an expensive Penske shock, Seargent seat, carbon muffler, etc. I found him on craigslist a a couple of hours away. Before I came up to see him, and I might not have shown, he put in new battery, oil, filter, and had it inspected! I have maintained it well and put on tires in October.It hasn't been ridden much.

It recently developed a rattle. I was told it was the cam chain,that there is a tensioner which if you run the bike would go to the next click and all would be well. I was then told that the noise is a real engine problem like a rod.

I am no mechanic and don't know what I am willing to get into. If you have some opinion, or would like to have this bike and fix it, let me know. Thanks and enjoy beautiful springtime riding.

Would you happen to have a short video of what sound it's making? It's very hard to troubleshoot noise issues just by what some mechanic has told you or by a written description. If you could shoot a 30 or 45 second video it may help us out. I wouldn't think a tensioner would be failing with a bike that has 13,000 miles on it and that hasn't been ridden much.

Back