01 FZ1 stalls when put into gear.

Nuka

Hello, I just recently brought my bike out of storage and it’s stalling out when I put it into gear. It will start fine and idle alright, ( yes my kickstand is up ) I’ve messed around with the kickstand switch and cleaned it, all of the connections seem alright. I even grounded it out but still had no success. I’ve heard that it could be the neutral safety switch or the clutch switch but I’m not sure.

Thanks in advance

Your on thhe right track IMO just dive deeper into the sidestand switch. Have you taken it apart? It may have a coating of chain lube inside that needs cleaning.

Neutral safety switch is a 4 wheel thing and im pretty sure theres no switch on the clutch.

There is a switch on the clutch perch that interacts with the side stand safety switch and the neutral switch. This allows bike to run with side stand down and clutch in.

Put bike on center stand and try all the switch functions with the bike in gear and out, the clutch in and out, and the side stand up and down.

I agree with Bunk that it's likely the side stand switch but you should be able to confirm going through the various scenarios on the center stand.

What's the chances of this exact same thing happening on my Gen 1 today. Battery is at 13.2, dash lights all on, no click at all when pressing starter button.
Put bike on center stand and worked the side stand open and closed about a dozen times. It was working after checking it again. So I went for a ride and will do a better job of cleaning the switch and area soon.

HHM, i need to pay attention to what my bikes voltage is when i turn it on. Its cranks like a new battery, but reads 10.2 when idling.

You still have the dreaded white connector in place?
Kinda. I yarded it out when i first got the bike. But only had a harbor freight solder iron...so the solder job is not worthy. That drove me to buy a weller 650 solder iron to do the job right....but the bike keeps working so the job stays on the back burner. Unfortunately its going to stay that way because im crazy driven to keep slabby progress going. Famous last words !

Back