%#^*€> small brad

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Fairly new rubber on rear......about 1000 miles on a pilot 2ct

Picked up a small brad about 1/2" from dead center on left side of rear.

Pulled and has a very slow leak.

It went almost longitudinally as opposed to a straight puncture, but going for a more seasoned opinion on what options may be.....

slime
heat it up to seal
new??

Last edited:
I have never yet had a tire patched, only because I have been lucky that the tire was nearly shot when I punctured it. If it were nearly shot I would air it up and do a huge burnout. At least that way you get some pleasure or entertainment out of what's left of it. If it is in great shape I would (for a rear) like you, seek professional advice, like Aaron (for instance). I wouldn't consider patching a front.:2cents:

boy.....times like these when I wish I had a shop grade setup to change out the skins.....will explore options tomorrow when the shops are open.....just don't want to hear the BS that we don't patch'em......

I'm without my digital tire gauge to know how fast the leak truly is.....

boy.....times like these when I wish I had a shop grade setup to change out the skins.....will explore options tomorrow when the shops are open.....just don't want to hear the BS that we don't patch'em......

Well in these times of lawsuit-happy people you can't really blame a shop for not wanting to do it. Same can be said of the tire companies. I bet not one of them recommends a patch on their tires...

I know personally for me it would always be on the back of my mind while riding. I was freaking out the other day after I discovered that my front tire only had 27 PSI. Well not really, but did keep thinking about it the whole ride...It was the first ride of the season and I was anxious to ride and didn't remember to check my tire pressure before I left.

I was freaking out the other day after I discovered that my front tire only had 27 PSI. Well not really, but did keep thinking about it the whole ride...It was the first ride of the season and I was anxious to ride and didn't remember to check my tire pressure before I left.

:nono: You'll never make it to Top Gun school if you don't do a proper pre-flight walk around and check. Don't feel too bad I started mine with the rubber pipe plug in one day ( it even has a big red tag that says, "Remove before Flight") . :spank2: What a weird sound.

I'd patch it from the inside... and try not to think about it while riding.
Other than NOT going above the speed limits, rather don't be trying for any tripple didgit stuff.........sound advice! Deffinatly patch from the inside and specify 'Radial patches', there is a difference..:)

The conservative thing to do is to replace the tire, certainly the most expensive but safety should come first. The way I see it is that riding a bike is dangerous, and I take actions to minimize the risk. When I had my FJR, I took my bike down to the shop to have my tires looked at because they were getting close to need replacing. The manager of the service department came and and took a look (he is probably mid 50's in age). He said "you could go another 500 miles or so before you really need to change your tires but its your call, if it was my bike I would replace them now and have peace of mind". He wasn't pressuing me to get new tires. I replaced them and felt safer on the bike for having done so. I see people all of the time riding without helmets and I think they are crazy. I think some states mandate helmets, Colorado is not one of them.

Vulcanized radial patch on the inside. a small hole like that probably didn't break a belt or cord in the tire but pushed them aside. I'd totally trust a vulcanized patch on this and wear the tire out. :D

Hopefully you don't live in a new subdivision that is being built up. When we first moved into our current home, they were still building on our street and I think we had 4 or 5 tire issues that year.

I've heard of tires being cut resulting in a sudden loss of air from hitting a bad chuck hole or speed bump that wasn't designed propperly but I've never heard that a small hole that was patched correctly resulted in a casualty type of accident. Sometimes I think people get paranoid about the small stuff like a nail. I know people who think any motorcyclist has to be insane because of the risk. I just smile. If it's reasonable to fix something without replacing it I think it's justifiable. Today's tire designs are better than they have ever been and tires are built to take a hell of a beating. A simple micro hole in the rubber is not going to jepardize the integrity of the tire, although the tire and bike companies may say differenty because of the afore mentioned (lawsuits).

well, no one seems to patch squat these days.....so, new rubber mounted (soon to be picked up) and then a trip to wally world for said patch.

scuff up the area on the inside to get good adhesion, slap it on, and wait till it is time to change.

I almost decided to run the existing tire w/o patching, and just monitor pressures to see what short commutes caused before taking it to an extended beating.....

There is always hope for a good burnout vid next go around....

Adam

I may have to look at tube, but did not have time/patience to explore all options in the crux of the momment and just bought new....now I'll have to take time to investigate options further....

Thanks for the recommendation though, was still thinking of trying to remain tubeless.....

Back