Yama-CAT???

Guess A/C and Yamaha are swapping technologies...
A/C is giving up chassis tech in exchange for engine tech

yama-cat_zpsd4d163f2.jpg

800rr_zps62da762c.jpg

Makes sense. Nothing handles like a Cat, but it was always a challenge to keep one from blowing up for 3 consecutive corners. Yamaha has always boasted bulletproof reliability. I work in a shop that deals in snowmobiles, among other things, and we're all Yamaha guys here. The buzz in the shop is cautiously optimistic. The bad news is that the machines will be built in an Arctic Cat factory. I'd be more confident in build quality if Yamaha was building them from Cat's drawings. It's going to be interesting to see how they work out. I'm interested to try one out.

Guess A/C and Yamaha are swapping technologies...
A/C is giving up chassis tech in exchange for engine tech

yama-cat_zpsd4d163f2.jpg

800rr_zps62da762c.jpg

You got it!....That's what I've been told by the local Cat dealer here a few months back. He went on to say it will be the 4 stroke stuff and mostly all going 3 cylinder

It's been in a few of their snowmobiles for a few years now. I just rode a Nytro with the 1050 3cyl and, frankly, I was underwhelmed. Good on the low end, but lacking that heart-stopping rush at the top of the tach. If the GenIII FZ1 is a 3 cyl I'll keep my GenII until the wheels fall off.

I live in northern Michigan, although I winter in Ariazona or Alabama, and I can remember when there must have been twenty manufacturers of snowmobiles but gradually they dropped out of the business till Bombardier, Polaris, and Arctic Cat were the only companies left making any money. With the poor winters that we've been plagued with over the last ten years, I doubt having more snowobiles is a good idea for the manufacturers. A friend of mine just bought a new 2013 2-stroke Ski-Doo and I was amazed how quiet and solid that thing sounded when he got on it. He actually traded down in size because he thought his older/heavier/bigger sled was too porky. Anyway, the Canadians got it started and although the competition is pretty heavy, I think they are still in the forefront of the business. The best snowmobile I ever had was a Yamaha 340 Enticer though. It was light, easy to handle, and never had a problem. Another vehicle I should have never sold. I'd like to get back in the sport but too many guys I know purchase a $12,000 + sled then get to use it a few weekends a season and after a couple seasons they try to get their money back out of it (not happenin).

The new Viper looks good but not what I want in a snowmobile. I ride groomed trails only so have no use for a snowcross sled. Its also underpowered in my opinion, not sure why they went with the engine they did. I also worry about the quality/fit/finish. There's a reason I won't own a newer Arctic Cat, seems like every time I go to the U.P. I see these new Cats blown up, belts coming apart every few hundred miles....I expected big things from Yamaha this year (direct injection for a start), I'm pretty disappointed. I have 4400 miles on my Attak so far and STILL on the original belt. Just changed the hyfax and carbides this year too. Runs like I just bought it new. I think 2015 models will show Yamaha's plans for the future, if there is one for them.

**EDIT**

I hope no one thinks i'm starting an arguement with any Cat guys, I have owned 3 of them myself. The last 6-8 years are crap in my opinion, seems like they rushed new machines into the market and let the public do their R&D for them. Hard to imagine when your charging over $10,000 for the product.

Last edited:
I live in northern Michigan, although I winter in Ariazona or Alabama, and I can remember when there must have been twenty manufacturers of snowmobiles but gradually they dropped out of the business till Bombardier, Polaris, and Arctic Cat were the only companies left making any money. With the poor winters that we've been plagued with over the last ten years, I doubt having more snowobiles is a good idea for the manufacturers. A friend of mine just bought a new 2013 2-stroke Ski-Doo and I was amazed how quiet and solid that thing sounded when he got on it. He actually traded down in size because he thought his older/heavier/bigger sled was too porky. Anyway, the Canadians got it started and although the competition is pretty heavy, I think they are still in the forefront of the business. The best snowmobile I ever had was a Yamaha 340 Enticer though. It was light, easy to handle, and never had a problem. Another vehicle I should have never sold. I'd like to get back in the sport but too many guys I know purchase a $12,000 + sled then get to use it a few weekends a season and after a couple seasons they try to get their money back out of it (not happenin).

You must not have been keeping track of our winter this year its been like when I was a kid we got plenty this year.

Back