Would you buy one again?

Just got a new chain & sprockets at 24k miles. The beast pulled up the front wheel on me shifting into second. I've never done that before.

I won't get rid of my bike till it gives up the ghost

What sprockets did you get? I'm looking at -1 front +2 rear. I want the front wheel to lift at much lowers speeds. Cheers

What sprockets did you get? I'm looking at -1 front +2 rear. I want the front wheel to lift at much lowers speeds. Cheers

OEM replacement sprockets. I think the problem before is I was losing a lot of energy due to chain slapping. I had one section of the chain that was twice as loose as the rest of the chain. I feel like I get a lot better delivery of throttle to wheel feel if you follow me.

50K on a Gen II '06. In a hearbeat i would buy the same bike. But the good news is I don't need too. They have not changed anything since I bought this one. It does everything I ask of it.

I am delighted with my '02 Gen 1. Love the large tank, roughly 200 miles per fill up. I would by another FZ1 in a heart beat...although the FJR does look pretty cool.

I have an 08. Like it a lot. Bought it new. Have put 40k on it. I would not buy it again. I am really easy on it, take great care of it. I have had multiple ignition coils go bad, the ECU just died(600$$$). It goes thru tires, the seat is not comfortable to me, the brakes, and handling are about average. People on the forums are helpful, but often just don't know what is wrong with the engine when it sputters, stalls, won't start..... The one great thing is the power. It is spectacular! Otherwise it does not touch the quality of a BMW. I am currently looking for an ECU. There don't appear to be any available.
Just another opinion to consider.

I have an 08. Like it a lot. Bought it new. Have put 40k on it. I would not buy it again. I am really easy on it, take great care of it. I have had multiple ignition coils go bad, the ECU just died(600$$$). It goes thru tires, the seat is not comfortable to me, the brakes, and handling are about average. People on the forums are helpful, but often just don't know what is wrong with the engine when it sputters, stalls, won't start..... The one great thing is the power. It is spectacular! Otherwise it does not touch the quality of a BMW. I am currently looking for an ECU. There don't appear to be any available.
Just another opinion to consider.

That is a joke right!!!

I replaced my 2001 Gen I (bought used in 2005) with a 2008 Gen II and this year I picked up a new 2012 Gen II to keep me going for a few more years :) I have owned over 20 bikes in my time, Blades, GSXR's, VFR's, CBR's, KTM SMs, etc. Always kept the FZ1's the longest and there has been one in my garage for the past 8 years.

Alternatives? Don't like the looks of the Ninja 1000 although the new 2014 in blue looks half decent and I would love a new 1290 Duke R but know it would not be reliable like the FZ1 and would cost much more to buy and run. The new Yammie triple looks nice, yep, that's the only one I would consider as a reliable and fun replacement at the moment if I was looking to change...which I'm not ;-)

The answer is for sure a big old YES now!! I was contemplating the new FJR next spring but with the price of the FJR and how much I miss my FZ1 that has completely changed.

I have decided that I am buying another FZ1 in the spring and I will just throw some saddle bags on it like these for when I want to take some longer trips. :sinister:

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ1, '06-'11, FZ8, '10-'12 - TwistedThrottle.com

Bags-Connection Slipstream Tail Bag - TwistedThrottle.com

Probably not. It's a great bike but does have a few shortcomings. I like the idea of trying a new bike every couple of years. Maybe the FZ9, lighter and just as quick. I didn't think I would but do miss my FZ6. A friend bought it from me and I still do the oil changes on it. When I swung a leg over it I was impressed how light the bike is, quick, smooth running, high revving and comfortable. Its one of the best bikes I've own. Funny how you miss stuff after you sell it.

Probably not. It's a great bike but does have a few shortcomings. I like the idea of trying a new bike every couple of years. Maybe the FZ9, lighter and just as quick.
This is the other bike I was considering. Same dealer has both for good prices, the FZ9 being $1700 cheaper (and a 2014 model vs 2013 for the FZ1).

Back