Winterizing your bike...

Ok pardon my ignorance (might have to do this a lot with me) but where does the o-ring go? I am assuming it is for the oil drain plug? I will for sure be buying my filter and oil from Walmart from now on, I like my dealer but they raped me on the price of oil and a filter.:doh2:

Thanks,

Chad

Yes, that's where it goes and as for dealer pricing...well you already got a taste of it...enough said.

i goes on the drain plug..its a o-ring gasket......sorry about that.....Next time you change your oil go with the Mobil 1/4T...10W-40 and filter at Walmart....Want to spend a little less on oil use the Castrol 10W-40; its just as good....I run the Castrol in my Vmax......that Yamalube oil they sell is nothing special.....

Thanks, I will be changing oil this week on the FZ1 and will have to put it away for winter, but had a great last ride last weekend (cold but great). Thanks again for your input and advice, I really appreciate it.

Chad

man that is a drag having to put your bike up for the winter.....no such thing in texas....its year round riding...make sure you put a float charger on the battery...

All you F.I. boys got it easy! I won't be "winterizing" anything this year but when I did, I would fill my tank with 89, give it 5.5 ounces of Seafoam and run the engine for 10 minutes. Then I would lift the tank and shut the petcock off and start her up and let her run until she shut off. Then I would start her again to make sure that the floats were empty and thats it. Plug in the tender and keep her on the centerstand. Come Spring I would flip the petcock, cycle the key two or three times to prime the pump and fill the floats and she'd crank over on the first shot. This winter I'll just be dreaming of what I'll be riding come March/April??? Carbed or Fuel Injected?? Sport or Sport Touring?? Clip-ons or Handlebars?? Naked or Fully Faired??? Boy, I have a lot to think about!!!

I actually do the same thing only drain the float bowls, easy and only takes a couple of minutes that way you are sure no fuel in carbs.
Some winters I just start and run every few weeks and do not bother draining the carbs. Bike is in a heated garage so not a problem, usually start when I am firing up sled to head out riding.

I agree the having to have to put the motorcycle away for winter is one of the tough parts about living in Wisconsin, it is snowing like crazy out side as I write this. Snowmobiling helps to make up for it for a little while at least. Have a great rest of your week and I will talk to you soon. Thanks again for your help.

Chad

Bonjour from the UK...

I bike all winter, come rain/shine/snow because I'm hardcore haha!

To winterize my bike I give it a good fairing strip and full clean and coat the whole thing with ACF50. After that initial wash I will clean it every 4 or 5 rides to get the salt and dirt off and re-apply ACF50 where I can reach without stripping fairings.

Also on the initial clean ill polish up the forks and any other shiny bits.

The rest of my time is then taken up trying to get rid of that damn fault code 20 from my FCE thing...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.192308,0.725101
Member of the 1 litre club...

Winterize surely means what you do to your bike in the winter... Not just how you pack it away when not in use.

Therefore, I do as my post says to protect my bike during winter ;)

---
I am here: Google Maps

Sorry for the confusion, I change oil & check coolant. But we ride most all year, rode about 170 miles yesterday.

Sorry for the confusion, I change oil & check coolant. But we ride most all year, rode about 170 miles yesterday.

Oh god, I'm so sorry! I completely misread your post haha. I'm about to set off on the bike on a 70ish mile trek home from the g/f's house.

I actually love riding through the winter, wrapping up warm and beating mother nature!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.192129,0.725428

It know it's a sad subject, but for some parts of the country it's getting close to time to put the bike down for the winter. To help make sure your bike is in good running condition when you pull it out next spring, above are a few tips for storing your bike.

Back