Why did you choose your gps system?

I've been on other forums reading threads with people asking for gps advice. The first answer is always Garmin. Get Garmin this or Garmin that.

Before I decided on a gps, I researched a lot of the different interfaces. To me, Garmin was not even on the top of the list for ease of use or routing speed.

Are they answering Garmin because it is the best or just the easiest answer?

I had a Magellan to start with and it lacked a lot of features. (It wasn't any where near their top of the line). I was going to get the Tom Tom Rider 2 but I have a BMW friend who bought one and is now on his third unit. One failed circuit board and another one leaked even though they are supposed to be waterproof and built for motorcycles.

I wanted a Zumo from Garmin but the price was way over the top, so I settled on the Garmin Nuvi 765T for several reasons: Widescreen, large navigational buttons on-screen, MP3 player with microSD card slot, bluetooth connection with my phone (The GPS in the cage is now a hands-free speaker phone), FM tansmission to my helmet, free traffic for life, and most important for me was route planning. I'm able to set waypoints and follow a trail rather than a GPS telling me to go from point A to B.

I really don't have any issues with the routing speed and it recalculates quite fast if a turn is missed.

Another cool feature is the ability to search for places nearby your location AND bring up discounts and coupons to show off at the checkout. :tup:

The security is great too. PIN code and if you lose the GPS, it will only unlock at a safe zone you've set in the unit (which is NOT my home or work, btw... :D )

Hope that helps! :D

Fz1, the 765T does not have a microsd slot, but a regular SD slot.

What kind of routes are you using with it? That is, routes made on your computer in mapsource, or just using the gps to set points you want the route to pass through?

I have the same unit, and have quite the issue with it interpreting routes made with mapsource. I'll expand on this in a future post following your reply.

Fz1, the 765T does not have a microsd slot, but a regular SD slot.

What kind of routes are you using with it? That is, routes made on your computer in mapsource, or just using the gps to set points you want the route to pass through?

I have the same unit, and have quite the issue with it interpreting routes made with mapsource. I'll expand on this in a future post following your reply.

Yes, you are correct about the card... I use my micro in the SD adapter so I had microSD on the brain. :gagged: ;)

I am using the Mapsource routes. I set up the waypoints first then route in the software by using the waypoints. Then, send it to the GPS and go load it from the system menu. No issues to date with using it this way.

Other times, I have just loaded waypoints and then selected them on the fly at each destination because we we're on a set route... just deciding at the moment what the next place to visit would be.

I should also add that the battery on the unit failed inside the first year and Garmin did not go good for it. I got the run around each time I called support. I think their support is crap.

I may get the next iteration of the Tom Tom Rider when it is released (bug free and actually waterproof!)

The issue I've run into is the way the gps interprets turns and way points. Yes it will get me there, but not all way points appear as way points on the route in the gps. For example, it will get to me where the way point is, but the name will not be present, and to continue on the route, it will say U turn. Occasionally, it will also do this uturn nonsense on via points too.

If yours doesn't do this, please advise, what firmware are you running? I've got the TW 3.00 installed, which adds a few more features (bugs perhaps).

Back