What did you do to your FZ today?

Installed a Memphis Shades Demon shield to try out....

Didn't work out for me.. wind blast over the shield hitting me in the face... put it on craigslist and sold it within an hour to a biker traveling through Austin on a Yamaha cruiser with no shield..he was happy ... :)

Last edited:
jscaggs-albums-billet-cargo-rack-givi-monokey-ready-picture3059-fz1-rack4.jpg

It is very sturdy, I am working on building an additional brace to help the stock steel subframe bracket out. It is a work in progress but I think the end result is great.
The setup made by Givi is only rated for 6kg which is about 13.2 lbs. thats not much. I have would say that this rack without any additional bracketry under the seat would be fine for that weight. But I would like to be able to hold 30-40 lbs securely. I've been trying to start a thread on this without much luck but I'll keep posting updates.

Last edited:
Nothing to the FZ1 but definitely to the helmet I ride on the FZ1

Finally installed my SMH5 in my RPS-10. Sound quality is far better than my O'Neal Fast Track helmet. Much more comfortable to have BT in the RPS-10. I am ordering a secong speaker and mic setup to install in my new DS helmet.

I will do a product review later after I have a chance to ride with it.

Nothing to the FZ1 but definitely to the helmet I ride on the FZ1

Finally installed my SMH5 in my RPS-10. Sound quality is far better than my O'Neal Fast Track helmet. Much more comfortable to have BT in the RPS-10. I am ordering a secong speaker and mic setup to install in my new DS helmet.

I will do a product review later after I have a chance to ride with it.
Just used that set up on my 3800 mile trip to Yellowstone and they worked great. I plan on ordering the bluetooth device their coming out with soon.

Ugh im so mad, ive just removed the AIS on my gen1 and TPO_parts on ebay have sent me the wrong size plugs!

Theyve sent a 9mm plug and the hole size measures about 6.6mm.

The right part was ordered, well, the ad says its for a gen1 fz1.

No bloody riding for me for a few weeks, so so angry, the weather he is absolutely perfect!

Can anyone with a gen1 measure the diameter of their plugs to confirm?

Ugh im so mad, ive just removed the AIS on my gen1 and TPO_parts on ebay have sent me the wrong size plugs!

Theyve sent a 9mm plug and the hole size measures about 6.6mm.

The right part was ordered, well, the ad says its for a gen1 fz1.

No bloody riding for me for a few weeks, so so angry, the weather he is absolutely perfect!

Can anyone with a gen1 measure the diameter of their plugs to confirm?

Can't you just tap the holes yourself? If so then you can source some ss bolts to cover the holes...just a thought.

Went for a ride to checkout the Corbin seat I just bought.... a no-go for me.. came home took a couple pictures and put in on Craigslist... will see if I can find a Sargent to try...

Most of my changes are visible in the picture. It's getting about where I want it.
Cut screen, Superbike Bars, Tank Grip pads, Sargent Seat, Ventura Sport Rack, Adjustable Lowering Link, Bar End Mirrors, Extra Long SS Front Brake Lines..........I think thats it.

Nearly cooked my motor. Heres what i did, learn from it.

Took out ais and carb coolant system.

Made up rubber plugs for exhaust ports because TPO plugs are shit. Used radiator hose onto ports then rubber cap onto hose, then hose clamp around them all, the caps were deep. Also used gasket goo inbetween all layers. Started reassembling radiator.

Had unannounced visitors who thought it would be nice to catch up when im busy and doing something completely new to me. Ive never even serviced a car as ive had company vehicles my whole life.

They left, then tightened up all parts on radiator and flushed it. New coolant installed after that.

The plugs seemed to be ok, held up when engine warmed up for new coolant to mix through.

Happy with my work i decided to do my first carb tune. They were out by a fair bit. Sync the first two and the second two carbs.

Looking for last screw to sync all four carbs, what a bitch to find, still havent found it.

Got my head under tank when coolant starts pissing out near my leg. It was also hissing from the plug put on the radiator after the carb bypass mod was done, i had used a carb plug like pat did. I think i overtightened the clamp and either weakened the rubber or split it.

So i let it cool, and installed a better bung from a carby shop on the radiator spigot. Topped up the radiator with new coolant and disposed of the stuff i caught in my oil tray.

Noticed the oil level was almost at the top of the sight glass, so dropped a tiny bit out to correct level.

Fired up bike again to do last carby sync step when i hear a popping noise after a few minutes. Turn off the bike and notice the exhaust bung i installed has melted at the top and blown through!

Why is my bike getting so bloody hot?

Oh thats right, i forgot to plug the radiator fan back in. Thanks unannounced visitors for interrupting my busy weekend right when im putting things back together.

I think my rubber plugs may have held up but now i cant be sure, so will order holeshot caps when the US holiday is done.

I really hope i can get my plugs off, and i really hope i havent done any damage to the motor.

FML, i just wanted to go riding.

Ps, dont buy TPO plugs because they will cause more dramas than they are worth.

My motor is still too hot to leave my hand on it an hour later.

Motors cooled down, looks like im ordering holeshots kit. Was able to get the plug off as it was left side with hose clamp easily accessible.

The first cylinder was hot as i revved to 6k a few times.

Glad i found out this way, not in the middle of nowhere.

Pics of the aftermath here...

View attachment 11412
View attachment 11413
View attachment 11414

Will take off the radiator when holeshot gear arrives.

The exhaust gaskets feel a bit stiff, are they normally soft?

Back