What did you do to your FZ today?

Took the short ride over to Ivan's this morning to pick up the Block Off Plates while I await the Two Brother's Can to get here next week. Now you guys that are keeping track of the "mods" or lack thereof, I really don't consider this a "mod" in the sense of the word as it, IMHO, goes hand in hand with installing the Slip-on to cancel out any popping on deceleration. Therefore I consider this part of the only "three" mods that I'll be doing to the 09'. Wink...Wink! Besides, it's always a pleasure to head over to Ivan and shoot the breeze for a while. I'm typically a moron when it comes to this second generation bike and Ivan always answers my questions no matter how trivial they may be. Got some work around the house tomorrow but if I'm done early it's down to the garage to install the kit!

CAM00210_zps3e0f6400.jpg

Billy, you're not a moron, you're an atypical moron. ;)

Sounds like a fun trip a visit. I bet Ivan is a fun guy to chat up. I always enjoy speaking with people smarter than me. Now how much the enjoy chatting with me is a totally different story!

Billy, you're not a moron, you're an atypical moron. ;)

Sounds like a fun trip a visit. I bet Ivan is a fun guy to chat up. I always enjoy speaking with people smarter than me. Now how much the enjoy chatting with me is a totally different story!

Thanks Pete, LOL! I have never left his place without learning at least one tidbit of knowledge. What I appreciate about him is that I can only imagine that he has heard all my questions at least 1000 times before, yet doesn't hesitate to answer them again for me. That's what keeps me going back and giving him my business when needed.

New Shorty's arrived at work today!!! Awesome! Exhaust coming tomorrow!

CAM00214_zpsa1e00d15.jpg

Levers never interested me until I actually bought some. After returning the '09 to OEM levers and riding it for a week, I was dumbfounded at the difference! That is why I took my knock-offs to VT when I bought the new bike... I knew 211 miles home would not be comfortable, especially if we hit traffic (we didn't). Those look great Billy! Where were those from? You saw I bought a set of FP levers from Motomummy. I really liked Michele's.

Exhaust... are you blocking the AIS at the airbox? After uninstalling two complete AIS systems yesterday and installing a third one, I can honestly say "Take the easy way out!" All three, I unbolted the radiators without removing it. I undid the lower bracket from the engine and left it attached to the radiator to use as a handle to pull down and allow me clearance for all the bolts. Still, no easy task... Your bike is going to really look great with the CF can!

Levers never interested me until I actually bought some. After returning the '09 to OEM levers and riding it for a week, I was dumbfounded at the difference! That is why I took my knock-offs to VT when I bought the new bike... I knew 211 miles home would not be comfortable, especially if we hit traffic (we didn't). Those look great Billy! Where were those from? You saw I bought a set of FP levers from Motomummy. I really liked Michele's.

Exhaust... are you blocking the AIS at the airbox? After uninstalling two complete AIS systems yesterday and installing a third one, I can honestly say "Take the easy way out!" All three, I unbolted the radiators without removing it. I undid the lower bracket from the engine and left it attached to the radiator to use as a handle to pull down and allow me clearance for all the bolts. Still, no easy task... Your bike is going to really look great with the CF can!

These are from M-Factory on Ebay. Tony had bought them and told me how high quality they were so I jumped on a pair. They are really nice and yes, the quality is really really nice! As for the AIS, yes, I rode to Ivan's Saturday morning and picked up the Block Off Kit. I'm will be dropping the radiator and also I picked up a Ratcheting tool that's flat and holds a 5mm hex bit to make job a bit easier. Ivan showed me that one!

This is the Block Off Kit............

CAM00210_zps3e0f6400.jpg

Last edited:
These are from M-Factory on Ebay. Tony had bought them and told me how high quality they were so I jumped on a pair. They are really nice and yes, the quality is really really nice! As for the AIS, yes, I rode to Ivan's Saturday morning and picked up the Block Off Kit. I'm will be dropping the radiator and also I picked up a Ratcheting tool that's flat and holds a 5mm hex bit to make job a bit easier. Ivan showed me that one!

Nice! Now, ride back to Ivan's get the PCV, cut the airbox and have him flash the ECU! :Rockon: Seriously, you'll be glad to have the little ratchet tool. I have a flat, 15 degree angle up and 15 degree angle down. The one angled up was the winner and easiest to use.

This set.... 21EuoaEjtDL._SL500_SS120_.jpg

I found it easier to work from the left side of the bike and access all of them from there while pulling down on the radiator bracket. If you pop out the ECU, you can easily push the bracket holding the AIS pump down through the grommet. Get that completely out first and the rest will go easier. Also, on the left, there's a small hose going to the top of the radiator but it is zipped to more wires and such just under the frame. Undo that wire clamp and the radiator will clear a LOT better. Call me if you get frustrated!

Nice! Now, ride back to Ivan's get the PCV, cut the airbox and have him flash the ECU! :Rockon: Seriously, you'll be glad to have the little ratchet tool. I have a flat, 15 degree angle up and 15 degree angle down. The one angled up was the winner and easiest to use.

This set.... View attachment 21056

I found it easier to work from the left side of the bike and access all of them from there while pulling down on the radiator bracket. If you pop out the ECU, you can easily push the bracket holding the AIS pump down through the grommet. Get that completely out first and the rest will go easier. Also, on the left, there's a small hose going to the top of the radiator but it is zipped to more wires and such just under the frame. Undo that wire clamp and the radiator will clear a LOT better. Call me if you get frustrated!

You got it bud, thanks! Oh, and if you want, here is the info on the Levers. As I said, very nice set. Much higher quality than the last pair of Chinese Levers I bought and the price is right. Oh, and I ordered them last Monday and they are here from Hong Kong already! 7 Days! Amazing.

MFactory_zps4a38cff1.jpg

I got to ride the new 2013 with most of the mods now installed. Still cannot open her up for a while but it sure runs sweet at Stage IV with the Ivanized ECU!

Last night, I installed the Evotech FE kit and the GPR stabilizer. I ended up taking the whole tail apart because Yamaha did not route the tail wiring like any other FZ1... I couldn't fish out the plate light because it was tucked where it shouldn't have been. All sorted now and the FE kit is tight. Wiring is where I can now easily detach and remove if needed. Going to get some pics in the daylight soon as I need to make a trip to the data center. :D

Man! You work fast!

12 hrs Sunday and 3 hrs last night! I have only the brake lines and PIAA horns left. I need to order the marine-grade outlet and heated grips. Then work on the CD screen and chin fairing. I want to also put fresh paint on the Euro Scoops. But everything else is on and buttoned up! I'm headed back out to HQ but will take some sunny day pics first. ;)

WooHoo! Two Brother's CF Can is here! UPS dropped it off at work today. I'll be really busy Saturday for sure!

CAM00220_zpstljktqxw.jpg

Uh oh! Billy, it's the wrong one! The box shows it's for the slower RED one! :D Seriously, that's going to look awesome! Label your EXUP cables at the top. Bottom is easy... silver adjuster is top, black is bottom. :Rockon:

I wore through the OEM Dunlop rear and the front is 1/32" from the wear indicators and is suffering from severe cupping, so off came the wheels.

I have a fresh set of Conti-motions from my Franken-bike project, in the basement.

Pics as soon as I pick-up the wheels from my mechanic.:sport12:

EDIT>> sorry for late pics...too busy enjoying the new rubbah!
Big time improvement over the OEM dunlops. The bike feels rock solid in curves and I get more "feedback" from them. The Dunlops felt numb in comparison.

As for riding in the wet, the Conti(s) behaved very well.

IMG_20140803_195808.jpg

IMG_20140803_195819.jpg

Last edited:
Back