Velocity stacks

The popping people get with an aftermarket exhaust has little to do with whether they have a power commander or not. It has more to do with he AIS system introducing fresh air into the exhaust stream to burn unburnt fuel on decel. Block the AIS to fix the popping. However, every bike, even stock, can benefit from a power commander.

Popping is definitely the AIS. I plugged mine with the driven block off plates. The popping is significantly reduced by about 90%, but it still pops a bit, but not so much anymore that it's annoying.

Where is the AIS located

You can plug it by opening the airbox. On the left side of the bottom half of the box is a nipple that feeds the air induction system. You can plug it using many methods. I'll come back and edit this with a link in a few minutes... :D

*EDIT* Here's two threads to read through...

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/1246-no-more-popping-gurgling.html
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/5541-ais-block-off-newbie-how.html

You can see the hole here in Tony's (NJFZ1) picture on the lower left:

IMG_0771.jpg

Last edited:
That picture is of a Gen II and this was posted in the Gen I section. I'm not sure how different that will make things, but I doubt your Gen I air box will look the same. Just sayin'...

I used two extra hose clamps and a tight-fitting electrical wirenut. I pulled the hose off the base of the airbox and slid a clamp down a few inches. I cut the tabs off the wirenut and smoothed the edges with a file. Stuff it down the tube a couple inches so it meets the clamp you applied but cannot pass through it. I then passed some silicone through a straw on top of the plug to be sure it sealed. Put the next clamp on above the nut and tighten that up a bit so the nut cannot move in the hose ever. Clamp the hose back onto the bottom of the airbox and seal everything back up.

Others have gone a much simpler route by applying a tubing cap and securing it inside the airbox over that opening with a clamp at the base... Like this one?

125383496_amazoncom-light-blue-157-vinyl-end-cap-fits-157-tubing-.jpg

So all the blockoff plate kits and the bitch install is pointless? You just cap off that nipple? That seems like the way to go unless I'm missing something.

So all the blockoff plate kits and the bitch install is pointless? You just cap off that nipple? That seems like the way to go unless I'm missing something.

They both accomplish the same thing. Most remove it because it becomes useless and by removing the setup, you can change the plugs much easier. I ran mine plugged for 2 years and only removed it when I did the plugs. I also removed the radiator since I was flushing/filling the coolant system.

:) LOL,,,, Yep, I and a lot of other people went the long route, which is a bit "cleaner" but not any more effective then just capping the nipple. Now if I had it to do over again, I would have done it the cheap and easy way. Hind sight is.........................!!!! LOL

I do believe the air filter shown in open air box view is installed upside down.

I just put one of these filters in my FZ8. Extremely similar if not the same box and the same BMC filter that the FZ1 calls for. The rubber seal should be down against the rim on the intake side of the box. Had to finagle a little bit to sit just right but is good now. I returned my K&N for refund after found top cover gap could not be easily dealt with (on my FZ8). Got a BMC for my FZ1 also but will wait for the stock filter to need replacing to install.

I do believe the air filter shown in open air box view is installed upside down.

I just put one of these filters in my FZ8. Extremely similar if not the same box and the same BMC filter that the FZ1 calls for. The rubber seal should be down against the rim on the intake side of the box. Had to finagle a little bit to sit just right but is good now. I returned my K&N for refund after found top cover gap could not be easily dealt with (on my FZ8). Got a BMC for my FZ1 also but will wait for the stock filter to need replacing to install.

That is correct.... in the original thread, Tony noted that it was shown upside down as he'd "reseted" it there. Good catch! :D He did install it correctly when closing the airbox.

Back