Traded in my Gen II, and got SCREWED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
$400 is cheap from getting out from under this nightmare, consider it a big victory. Perhaps the owners are just inexperienced and naïve, why would they think a bike bought at auction (at a price obviously below what Yamaha would sell it to them for if it were new and in the crate) would be covered by the factory warranty? As I read the OP's last note above it sounds like this was bought at auction directly from Yamaha so it must have been damaged when it was in Yamaha's custody. Very odd that Yamaha didn't disclose the damage to the people bidding on it, but that is typical with auctions. It's always 'buyers beware' and they have to do their due diligence. It doesn't pass the funny smell test and as a dealer I would have been worried about it's history and how it came to auction. And wouldn't the paperwork from Yamaha to dealer state that it was not covered by factory warranty? Very odd. In any event $400 is not chump change but considering the alternative I'd be damn happy.

I wonder how all that damage occurred on a bike that never rolled on the street. Hard to see a tipover doing that damage. Damaging a frame at it's weld point is not commonly seen on brand new bike. I wonder if a forklift didn't do the damage during shipment and Yamaha just put it to auction to clear it through the system. But a repaired frame would seem to be a huge potential liability for Yamaha and I'm surprised they would go down this road.

Damage is next to a weld point, but not on the weld point

my guess is the bolt that went in that support pressed in too hard, you can see some of the support broke where it would have went into the frame

This is awesome news! They owned the problem as they should have and made it right with you. Kudos to them. Sorry it cost you time and money but very happy to know you've recovered from it without any more stress. Well done for keeping your cool and handling the entire situation professionally. Great job!

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Being the superstitious person I am, I'd probably be waiting a while to get a new bike. That just has to be a sign of something or other! ;)

Already looking, but wife wants me to wait till next year.

I definitely learned a lot from this and will know a whole lot more going forward

So happy to read all of this and find it worked out in your favor. I would have taken the demo bike though knowing how badly the dealer would have wanted to get the deal back and considering the $400. I can also understand your desire to just end the whole thing and escape unscathed.

All in all, you never did anything wrong and anyone purchasing a new zero mile bike at a reputable Yamaha dealer would have done what you did. You are really lucky to have found those issues prior to riding it though.

Congrats on getting it resolved and the right bike will come. There's always another bike, although I think getting $5,000 on trade for an FZ1 will be tough to match again. That's why I would have considered taking a shot at the Demo R1.

Ride safely and we all can learn from this experience. Thanks for posting.

So happy to read all of this and find it worked out in your favor. I would have taken the demo bike though knowing how badly the dealer would have wanted to get the deal back and considering the $400. I can also understand your desire to just end the whole thing and escape unscathed.

All in all, you never did anything wrong and anyone purchasing a new zero mile bike at a reputable Yamaha dealer would have done what you did. You are really lucky to have found those issues prior to riding it though.

Congrats on getting it resolved and the right bike will come. There's always another bike, although I think getting $5,000 on trade for an FZ1 will be tough to match again. That's why I would have considered taking a shot at the Demo R1.

Ride safely and we all can learn from this experience. Thanks for posting.

I was close to taking it, but not knowing how well it was broken in, the owner telling me about him riding an r1(telling me some crazy stuff) and him not owning one but the demo having 1450 miles and the sales lady said those were done by staff, plus damage to plastics and tank having dent, no way for me

I'm to finicky to take a bike improperly broken in

Found one close to me for 10,999 before all other fees. Ya not sure what I'll get on trade but the higher cost is worth it to me for solid piece of mind

Sounds like they may work a tad with me because of the crap I just went through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from having to swallow the $400, glad matters worked out without becoming worse. Been following your post. Navel-gazing:

Sometimes knowledge don't come cheap or easy. Prolly a sign to keep the FZ1 and keep riding it.

See you on Campus.

Full reversal like it never happened so far.

Mechanics are looking at R1 and my FZ1 is loaded in my truck already

4ybuduqu.jpg

Not sure why they want me to wait to inspect R1, but I'm not too worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear, and nice truck! You have a leveling kit on it or a lift?

How do you load if you do not fire the bike up?

I have a 2008 f350 long bed, but not much hauling bike experien e on a truck, and only twice with my car hauler.

Sent from: Liberated Galaxy Tab

Its leveled on 33" tires. Ive done quite a bit to it. 2008 Duramax. Its my baby, I love it.

Very nice, I have a 2007 Silverado Classic, I want to go with the Torsion Key Leveling kit and get either 32 or 33inch tires for it.

I have a 2008 f350 long bed, but not much hauling bike experien e on a truck, and only twice with my car hauler.

I have a ramp for my truck, and a spot in my front yard where I can get the tailgate lower to the ground so it is easier to get in and out.

Excuse the ignorance but could someone explain why people put oversized wheels & chunky tires and lift kits on their trucks? It seems like it would make it quite difficult to get stuff in and out of the bed, which is the point of a truck in the first place, right?

Also, I can't imagine those big, heavy wheels and tires do much good for performance or fuel economy. Is there some benefit to it?

Is it just a cosmetic thing?

Sent from: Liberated Galaxy Tab

I have a 5 ft aluminum ramp, and like Klurejr said, I sometimes use a hill at my house for dirtbikes. I also can let tailgate rest on bumper and it helps.

Very nice, I have a 2007 Silverado Classic, I want to go with the Torsion Key Leveling kit and get either 32 or 33inch tires for it.

If your a 2500 or 3500, look at a cognito kit. I can go on for days about the dangers of just keys and turning up torsion bars. the quick version, very harsh on front end and parts and will prematurely wear the parts out. Those get spendy fast. Not to mention the back spacing you do with your wheels can affect rub and other issues. I did a cognito UCA and a lot of other parts. I sunk over $2000 in just my front end alone in upgrades.

Excuse the ignorance but could someone explain why people put oversized wheels & chunky tires and lift kits on their trucks? It seems like it would make it quite difficult to get stuff in and out of the bed, which is the point of a truck in the first place, right?

Also, I can't imagine those big, heavy wheels and tires do much good for performance or fuel economy. Is there some benefit to it?

Is it just a cosmetic thing?

LOL I understand. To a point its a cosmetic thing, but I also ride dirtbikes on trails and go camping, so I need a little more room and better tires to get to some spots. This truck isn't just a hwy queen. Im leveled in front for height to match the rear, so rear is just as tall as stock, besides 1" higher from the tires.

Performance no it hurts a tad, but I have a lot invested in my truck with performance mods and custom ECM tuning (Think Ivan ECM mods) with different tuning options that I can select on the fly. My diesel truck has roughly 500HP and 900 ft/lbs torque with minor mods, and I got 21 mpg on the way home yesterday from getting my bike, 17 mpg going to get it with a nasty head wind. About a loss of 1-2 mpg with my tires over stock.

I researched for months before I did anything to my truck as it is my baby and I could talk a lot about everything duramax/diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back