Tire valve stems

Yes,only thing I did`nt like is if you crack the clear top by stone etc you will lose all air pressure

If that's the case then probably not the best idea for a motorcycle. Just check your tire pressure before every ride. Not a big deal, especially if you get a pair of the angled valve stems.

For the everyday commuter, I see these as a good thing. The odds of it becoming damaged are slim.

***my opinion has changed.

Last edited:
If that's the case then probably not the best idea for a motorcycle. Just check your tire pressure before every ride. Not a big deal, especially if you get a pair of the angled valve stems.

Yep. I have some angled valve stems, but I bought them after my new tires. :retard: I should need new tires at the end of this season, so I have to remember to have them installed. The rear tire is always ease, but those disc rotors on both sides of the front wheel make it a nightmare to check! :rant:

In regards to the visual pressure caps, I love the idea, but it does sound just a bit risky on a motorcycle.

They have a bigger chance of being damaged on angle valve stems,as they stick out close to the edge of the rim,a friend on a FJR 1300 had one on the front tyre broken [angle stem] by a stick and lost air pressure,after that I took mine off.

Still, a handy way to check pressure - just change out the cap with a standard one for riding...?

or maybe they should devise it with a side-indicator instead of a top-indicator. Like you would view oil-level? that way it would be contained in the metal body. (hey, I just patented this BTW, send royalties here...)

At that point I would probably re-balance the wheel.

Still, a handy way to check pressure - just change out the cap with a standard one for riding...?

or maybe they should devise it with a side-indicator instead of a top-indicator. Like you would view oil-level? that way it would be contained in the metal body. (hey, I just patented this BTW, send royalties here...)

At that point I would probably re-balance the wheel.
If you are going to change the cap you might as well just check the pressure,they are also not as accurate as a gauge.

Last edited:
As a mechanic at an auto shop and having started out as a tire tech, I can say that those nifty little things leak. We have several customers that love them, but wonder why they continue to have flats. The leak is often not noticeable until you've lost air pressure. They are a great idea and are awesome if you check your pressure everyday. The little "gauge" thats built in doesnt seem to work very well. I hate to sound so negative, but I'd rather tell you my experience, then see you with a flat and wonder why.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I was going to answer this post from work but it got busy and I couldn't do it then. I have personally used these on the FZ1 and I will vouch for the fact that they indeed leak. While they seem real nifty, I wound up putting air in my tires every other ride. I switched over to aluminum valve caps with a rubber o-ring which cost a fraction more but held the air better than any cap I have ever used. I haven't gone back to anything else. I'd pass on these and invest in a quality digital gauge and metal valve covers. Just my two cents of course.

Thanks for all who replied, I think the fact that it acts as a second valve taking over the function of valve in the stem, if not very well made it can cause slow leak by working itself loose from vibration, the idea is great though, accuracy is also a concern. I'll scrap the idea & just install the angled aluminum valves when replacing the tires to make it easier to check.

Update in these valve stem pressure indicators

I posted the first post after I ordered them so they came & I am giving them a try, no leaks so far, I really want them to work, if they leak its easy to know just by looking at them, so far they remain green, I bought the 40 PSI, they came in a set of 4/ package, the ebay seller sent me two packs = 8 valves caps.
I am willing to part with two, the 4th PM sender will get them free:stunta]:.
if they hold up it sure beats getting my hands dirty checking the tire pressure,
if they work them selves loose, my riding will prove it quickly since I ride surface streets all day long every day.

This is the best price I found & below is the seller I bought them from
New Set of 4 Accu Pressure Safetycaps Tire re Minders 40 PSI | eBay

who was that guy that said "a fool and his money"?

these things are junk just another way to get a flat as they hold the valve open. and are very cheep junk so they do leak air. and the reading is way off anyhow.
could show good to go and be 10 pounds (or more) low psi in the tire.

I just had a valve stem fail yesterday on the rear wheel. It was a 90 degree valve stem like this one.

View attachment 14080

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn...39/v/vspfiles/photos/529C-90-2.jpg?1352828700

My wife was on the back and running all the full on luggage set up. We were hauling anus when I got the tell-tale shimmy that says "hey dude, something ain't right. So we slowed down and pulled off. I could not find the puncture. So I try to add air to find the hole. That's when I found the torn rubber on the valve stem. AAA premium membership covered the flat-bed tow truck and we made it home safe.

I run a tire shop and seen countless ones leak and are not very accurate to begin with. Even if you already order them chuck them in the trash. You really think you can trust them on a motorcycle?? :doh2:

I've had these valves on the new 2 month old tire, it picked a nail yesterday, the valve cap alerted me as it turned red, I took a closer look and sure enough there was a nail, in the two month before that they kept tire pressure as I set them 40PSI without any leaking. will keep an eye on pressure with the plug I put in the tire so far its holding at 40 PSI.
I was never convinced that these valves are any good but I am slowly changing my mind about them.

Back