Tire Repair

New guy with a question, I put new tires on my bike last week and picked up a screw this week on the back. My question is has anyone here had their tire repaired (plug from the inside)and how did it hold up? Is this safe to do? Thanks for any help.

I've had a few tyres plugged and never had any issues with them. Infact my current rear tyre has been plugged and has done about 3000 miles since then without problems!

As long as they're plugged properly, they'll be fine.

I found this info from a tire manufacturer:

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way.

Tire Tips

A plugged tire is good for standard speeds but I wouldn't do a lot of excessive speeds, canyon carving, or any sort of a track day on a plugged tire. If you're a standard 5 - 15 mph over rider who does not carve, you'll be fine. :D

The speed is what concerned me, I dont go to the track but the freeways in california are close. When I am going 80 people pass me all the time and I do get to about 90 at times. The dunlop tips said to not go over 75 on a plugged tire, That might be hard to do here.

The speed is what concerned me, I dont go to the track but the freeways in california are close. When I am going 80 people pass me all the time and I do get to about 90 at times. The dunlop tips said to not go over 75 on a plugged tire, That might be hard to do here.

Well if you're that concerned about the speed then you might just want to replace the tire for peace of mind. I know it sucks since it was just put on, but do you really want to worry about it every time you get on the bike :confused0024: As the others have said if properly repaired it should hold up just fine, but ultimately you're the one that has to feel "comfortable" with it.

I picked up a nail in a brand new battleax on my superhawk in 2000 I put an old school plug in it, we were in the mountains and had no other choice, I had no Issues and rode it as fast as ever with it in.

Back