Time for a new tire??

Definitely time for a new tire. I've actually just recently started a depth gauge and you'd be amazed at what you think is good and what really is.
I had Vulcan come into the shop, looked at the tires thought they were close but still ok. Both were toast according to the gauge.

My Bridgestone BT023 have that little line on the front and rear. I've never noticed that before on previous tires. There's a ton of life left in the centre, too

Last edited:
All the Michelin's I have used show the line in the last 3rd of the tire life, no big deal. Time to order a new tire as that one is getting close to done. It's up to you how "well done" you want your tire once you hit the wear bars.
Best to have a new one close by for that unexpected ride :)

I would still ride it but order a new one so it is on hand. That being said I always seem to look at tire and think good for another few hundred miles then next thing I see the cords.

Better to have the wife kill you than the motorcycle.

I have used rear tires until the cord shows, but do not recommend it. In the rain, the traction is very limited; and in the dry, the remaining thickness of rubber/cord can become very thin - allowing the possibility of a puncture from a sharp rock, bad spot in the road, debris, etc.

I live in flat terrain, and have found that the flat spot in the center of the tire will become slightly concave, just before the cord shows. There may only be about 1/32" of rubber remaining atop the cord. Not much.

Back