Thinking of picking up an 01 with 3500 miles

I had an '02 and had to sell when I lost my job. So I see this '01 for sale yesterday with only 3500 miles on it and figure I gotta go for it. The current owner has a Harley and he bought it from a friend who was an occasional rider. Has a GTYR pipe, risers, levers. Best stock suspension I have ever had was on my '02. I have been looking to stay away from carbs, but my '02 sat the winter and ran fine in the Spring with Stabil in the gas.

He's asking $3800 but is flexible

He's only selling because he has a Harley and can't register both. It IS indeed mint. My wife loves the first gen FZ. She's seen all my other bikes come and go and says when I hit the throttle on the others, they just sat there, but the FZ moves! She also fell sound asleep on the back of my FZ cruising to Loudon NH to watch the races. So she likes em. She said last night, "It's beautiful. Buy it."

Here's the bike.

He did not want to budge on price. It has upgraded fork internals that he paid 500 bucks for. Belly Pan. Rizoma levers and bar riser. GTYR exhaust. I've seen some on Cycletrader with 20-40k miles for 3500-4000 so I guess the market says this is an ok price for an always garaged, seldom ridden FZ. An 06 is selling for 5200 nearby but I cannot stretch that much.
fz2g.jpg

fz1k.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed!
The only way I could see this being legit is if he used that as his track bike. A lot of guys will pay cash for their track bike and never register them. Never carry insurance on them either. I ran into that with my R1 and it was a GIANT headache getting everything switched into my name!!!!
I would be very careful with this one.

He's only selling because he has a Harley and can't register both. It IS indeed mint. My wife loves the first gen FZ. She's seen all my other bikes come and go and says when I hit the throttle on the others, they just sat there, but the FZ moves! She also fell sound asleep on the back of my FZ cruising to Loudon NH to watch the races. So she likes em. She said last night, "It's beautiful. Buy it."
BTW that is a complete lie he cant register cause its not in his name something fishy goig on there if you are patient you could find a gen 2 for not much more money.I sold an 07with 17k miles for 4200 last year

He took the bike in trade

I spoke with the previous owner. They did a trade deal. People trade stuff and then sell it for cash instead if they decide they don't want it. The current "owner" has his own business. Everything he has in his garage is spotless so he is not some shady guy. He has a nice Harley VRod and has little time to even ride that so it makes no sense for him to keep the FZ. I sold a bike to a dealer and left the title open, which used dealers do all the time. - Just called my insurance agent and she said it's fine. Here in the Northeast the used bike market is pretty hot. I often do not see what I am looking for til the Fall. Last Fall I was cash poor, so now I have some money and this has less miles and is in the same shape as my '02 from '06 which had 5000 miles on it. This one was owned by a cop, who I spoke to by the way about the old pipe, and my '02 was owned by a fireman. Go figure. This new guy took it in trade, tried it a few miles and just decided it was not his kind of bike. He liked the ZRX better. So there is no shady story. Just a trade where the guy never bothered to put it on the road. - I am not a huge fan of the Gen2 unless it is customized to look sportier. Fueling from the carbs is also nice off the bottom and Gen1 is like a sofa. Both nice though in their own way.

Last edited:
Buyer beware, you never, ever get the whole story, even from your best friend. Now, unless your vehicle laws are extremely easy where you live, you'll never get it titled unless your are buying it from the legal owner and he has signed it over to you, with no lein holder or second secured party. Get that straight and you may end up with a nice bike and not have a bunch of worries getting it titled in your name.

Mass. requires the signed title and RMV1 form

The RMV1 form my insurance says they will give me no problem. So you can sell a bike from someone else other than yourself, as long as the previous owner signs the title with no date, as the seller, and then you sign it as the buyer.

The RMV1 form my insurance says they will give me no problem. So you can sell a bike from someone else other than yourself, as long as the previous owner signs the title with no date, as the seller, and then you sign it as the buyer.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense to me now. Forgive me, but when you grow up in the Bronx, your pretty much leary of anyone or anything. Okay, I guess if the previous owner signed over the title, but the new owner never registered it, technically you only have to fill in your name on the title and insure and register the bike. That would work as long as the new owner never filled out the "Buyer" section on the title. Well, are you gonna go for it?? Enquiring minds want to know!

I didn't grow up in the Bronx but the "hey y'all"south and it makes me leery. If you are certain the p.o. signed it without the date and the c.o. just never bothered to switch it, e.g it's blank, you should raise the cash and go for it.Otherwise walk away.

How many banks will finance a 10 year old motorcycle? I've always assumed that was difficult to do (never tried, all my motorcycle purchases have been cash); can someone enlighten me?

My credit union would finance it

Talked with the guy this morning and he will even hold the bike til I get the cash together. Business owner. Family. House in the burbs. Huge garage. Mint cars. Boat. Everything in his garage looks brand new. Not a spot on it including the FZ. So it's not some dark alley deal. He may buy a Ducati Diavel and sell his VROD. I told him to go for it. Test rode one. Better than a Harley for the money.
My old 02 FZ:

Last edited:
Back