Thinking about an FZ1 - Good for me?

I have been riding dirt bikes for 40 years and now want to do a little street. No touring plans but like the idea of bags to carry stuff. Plan to mostly do back roads. I like standard riding position. The more like a dirt bike the better. No cruisers, no sport bikes. I like the idea of an adventure style bike that will absorb the bumps better on some of the back roads. I am 5"8 and about 155 lbs.

I found a 2001 FZ1 with Givi side bags and trunk for sale near me. It is going to be a couple of days before I can go ride it. I don't know if this bike is right for me or not. I have ridden a Honda Shadow 1100 (that's when I decided no cruisers), a Triumph Trophy 1200 (a little big and heavy with a long reach to the bars), and a 2000 (older style) Triumph Tiger 885 (fit me great except a little tall).

I have been riding dirt bikes for 40 years and now want to do a little street. No touring plans but like the idea of bags to carry stuff. Plan to mostly do back roads. I like standard riding position. The more like a dirt bike the better. No cruisers, no sport bikes. I like the idea of an adventure style bike that will absorb the bumps better on some of the back roads. I am 5"8 and about 155 lbs.

I found a 2001 FZ1 with Givi side bags and trunk for sale near me. It is going to be a couple of days before I can go ride it. I don't know if this bike is right for me or not. I have ridden a Honda Shadow 1100 (that's when I decided no cruisers), a Triumph Trophy 1200 (a little big and heavy with a long reach to the bars), and a 2000 (older style) Triumph Tiger 885 (fit me great except a little tall).

Hi DK, welcome to the group. At 155lbs, the first Gen FZ1 would be a great bike for you with the stock setup. The inseam is what I am looking at. At 5'8" you may not be "flat footed" at rest on this bike unless you throw in some lowering links, but if you've been riding dirtbikes for 40 years now your probably used to having one foot down and one foot up. I went from a Shadow 750 to the GenI FZ1 and I can honestly say that this bike is THE best bike I've ever owned in 33 years of riding. Also, at 155lbs, the power will be exceptional. Me, I'm at 240lbs and the power is phenominal. Just be careful once the tach reaches the magical 8k mark and above. You had better be holding on!:tup:

One of the new Ducati Multistrada's would fit the bill if not the budget. I would take that Gen 1 for a ride though! Might be just what the doctor ordered.:2cents:
He might be diapointed with the KLR's power after full blown dirt bikes (especially if they were 2 strokes).

Canmorebackroad.jpg

But here you go. It's lots of fun if a bit underpowered (compared to the FZ). Cruises down the highway just fine at about 4000 rpm at 60 mph.

This one is much more fun on the pavement (just love showing off this baby, so any excuse)

May152010c.jpg

parkstopmay2010.jpg

The GS 650 is a friend of mine's and he complaines about the 19" front wheel sending the bumps back to him a little too much (the cast wheel doesn't help) In this regard the KLR has him beat with it's 21" front and spoke wheels. The KLR has more ground clearance as well (than the BMW) and is lighter.

Last edited:
I would agree with Norm on this one. I think with the type of riding you are use to, the FZ1 would not be exactly what you are looking for. I do love mine, which I just picked up about a month ago, but I wouldn't plan on taking it on anything but a paved surface.

Options from my research

I would agree with Norm on this one. I think with the type of riding you are use to, the FZ1 would not be exactly what you are looking for. I do love mine, which I just picked up about a month ago, but I wouldn't plan on taking it on anything but a paved surface.

That is why I bought the KLR. I wanted a dirt bike but not have to buy a truck or trailer. The dual sport lets me drive to where I want to play and get home after. There are lots of options, like the KTM 990 adventure, The BMW GS 800, The Ducati Multistrada and the KLR 650 (it being 1/2 the cost of the others listed). If I could only have 1 bike it would have been the KTM 990. All the research that I did pointed to it being the most capable of the dual sports, with the least problems (short life on water pumps). The KLR is the cheapest and simplest of the machines and was the most logical choice as a second bike. The FZ 1 will always be my favorite of my machines, it just makes me smile evrytime I get on it and ride. After a spin on a twisty mountain road it sometimes takes hours for my face muscles to relax. It's just that much fun!

Thanks for all the input. I seriously considered bikes like the KLR and BMW 650s. Was a bit concerned about engine vibration and power. Also, sort of like riding my dirt bike on the street. I was looking at the Multistrada and it would probably be a good pick. Not many around though. I want something with low end grunt that I don't have to shift all the time. Rode a 2000 Triumph Tiger 885 and liked the power band and riding position. Also had to ride it some in gravel and on poor road conditions. What was rough driving in my Nissan Pathfinder to get there was smooth as silk on the Tiger.

Also was considering a Suzuki V-Strom.

Sounds like the FZ1 even with bags on is probably not going to suit me.

Thanks for all the input. I seriously considered bikes like the KLR and BMW 650s. Was a bit concerned about engine vibration and power. Also, sort of like riding my dirt bike on the street. I was looking at the Multistrada and it would probably be a good pick. Not many around though. I want something with low end grunt that I don't have to shift all the time. Rode a 2000 Triumph Tiger 885 and liked the power band and riding position. Also had to ride it some in gravel and on poor road conditions. What was rough driving in my Nissan Pathfinder to get there was smooth as silk on the Tiger.

The GS 650 is actually 800cc but BMW being BMW calls it a 650 (because the bike it replaced was a 650 and they don't like change) It is very smooth and has lots of power and low end grunt. The difference between the GS 650 and the GS 800 is: spoke wheels on the 800, cast on the 650. Inverted front forks(non adjustable) on the 800, standard forks on the 650. Longer travel suspension on the 800. Tuned for a little bit more power on the 800 over the 650. It is very similar riding position on the GS 650 to the KLR 650. The GS 800 goes for about $4000 more than the GS 650, and twice what the KLR costs. The V-Strom is a bit top heavy if you are going to use it on any serious gravel.

Another possibility is the KTM 690 Supermotard, It just needs nobby tires and it is a good price.

With that said the FZ1 gets pretty squirely on gravel. I lived on about a 2 mile streach of gravel and it was a 10 to 15 mph ride down the road and wont even get into it when the gravel is wet lol. Love my FZ and wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

That's the bike for you - a V-Strom 650.

That's the bike for you - a V-Strom 650.

Respectfully, I disagree. The V-Strom sits very tall. At 5'10" I touched down with just the balls of my feet. At 5'8" he'll have more of a reach. Riding dirt bikes, it may not bother him, except the V-Strom is probably a lot heavier than those bikes and more top heavy, So again, all in all, I suspect the OP won't love that bike. But I do agree with you that for many, the V-Strom is a beloved bike with decent off road capability. I'm with oldschool on this one: The KLR all the way for our new (albeit likely brief tenure) member.

Back