Suspension Setup

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my bike dialed in for my weight? I’m about 160 and the bike seems super stiff, about an inch of sag when I sit on the seat.
Or does anyone know any FZ gurus in MN or WI that could help out? TIA.

What year FZ1?

Street comfortable? Fast? Track?

Factory engineers design for a particular market and typical rider. The US Market FZ1 seems to favor middleweight to heavy riders. The 2006 GEN II was the stiffest. 2007 & later appear to favor those in the 220-240# range.

Unless you are riding the race track, you likely need a softer spring. Until the spring weight is proper for the rider/load weight and riding style, you will forever be 'dialing' the wrong number.

Besides the rear spring, the FZ1 also needs care in the front springs, both front & rear shocks as well as front-to-rear height adjustment. I suggest you start browsing the suspension threads on both this and the 'other' FZ1 forum.

What year FZ1?

Street comfortable? Fast? Track?

Factory engineers design for a particular market and typical rider. The US Market FZ1 seems to favor middleweight to heavy riders. The 2006 GEN II was the stiffest. 2007 & later appear to favor those in the 220-240# range.

Unless you are riding the race track, you likely need a softer spring. Until the spring weight is proper for the rider/load weight and riding style, you will forever be 'dialing' the wrong number.

Besides the rear spring, the FZ1 also needs care in the front springs, both front & rear shocks as well as front-to-rear height adjustment. I suggest you start browsing the suspension threads on both this and the 'other' FZ1 forum.

I would say street comfortable is what I’m shooting for. It’s a 2007. I’ll browse around and give the owner manual a read.
I think I’ll start with slight preload setting adjustments first before messing with compression and rebound dampening as I haven’t quite wrapped my mind around those. Thank you for the info!

At your weight, you are going to want the rear set on the lightest settings possible for sure and even then it's likely going to feel too hard. The front isn't quite as "hard", so you might be able to find street comfortability there.

Check out any/all Dave Moss vids or this book - https://tinyurl.com/2p8vwsfp - for great suspension info.

Back