Stress Crack In Frame on 2007 FZ1

well AFTER the crash no one can prove if the frame cracking caused the accident or the accident cause the crack............. #*#@%^%^@** Lawyers !!

No you can prove that, it's not that difficult to show, takes some time but no problem. However, I never heard of any bike showing the cracks on both welds, so breaking apart is unlikely. That said I agree Yamaha should have checked that better and taken proper action to fix it. I only check my frame (as all parts) when I do maintenance. Not really worried, these things either crack fast or most likely never.

My 2007 with 27800km just cracked on Sunday during a spirited ride. luckily i noticed it when we stopped for some refreshments :| could have ended badly. I am the 3rd owner of the bike and put 4000km on it in 3 months. no signs of crash damage anywhere from previous owners. Checked the welds at beginning of season and they were mint. Yamaha paying for new frame and labour. according to yamaha canada i am the second person in canada lol :huh:

10312478_10152209129667800_7840981956844824580_n by rstinut, on Flickr

10269346_10152209129547800_2271050962907876496_n by rstinut, on Flickr

My 2007 with 27800km just cracked on Sunday during a spirited ride. luckily i noticed it when we stopped for some refreshments :| could have ended badly. I am the 3rd owner of the bike and put 4000km on it in 3 months. no signs of crash damage anywhere from previous owners. Checked the welds at beginning of season and they were mint. Yamaha paying for new frame and labour. according to yamaha canada i am the second person in canada lol :huh:

Good to hear Yamaha Canada is taking care of you. I have an '07 with about 45k km on it that's still ok, but this thread has scared the bejesus out of me.

As far as I know, there has been no release from Yamaha on serial #'s, build date, vin #'s, or any thing else as to what frames are cracking. I don't know how you come up with your assumption, but it may be misleading to people that do not know any better. Unless you know something the rest of us don't. In that case, do tell.

The majority of cracked frames thus far have been 2006 models. The last four digits of your VIN is the production number thus if those are 0001 then you have the first one of that year. As Yamaha pulls frames off the line to build at the beginning of 2007 model year, these are frames likely made in 2006. This isn't a secret, a formula or anything else, it is manufacturing standards, use up existing stock first. We have no way of knowing how many frames were produced in 2006 that carried into 2007 but we do know at some point they fixed the welding mistakes thus no more cracked frames on later models.

So in other words, you have no idea what frames will or will not crack. You have a theory. A guess at best. What you are doing in your own subtle way is telling people not to worry. It's only affecting frames built on this date and so on. I would rather assume it is every frame on all 06/07 bikes and be on the safe side. Who cares. I am not married to Yamaha and could really give a crap about them or their bikes. I care about people. The last crack to be posted was huge. It didn't look safe at all. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt due to this obvious manufacturing screw up. I'm sorry if you don't think it's that serious. Just ask any one that was two up with a loved one, and noticed a crack afterwards how serious they think it is.

So in other words, you have no idea what frames will or will not crack. You have a theory. A guess at best. What you are doing in your own subtle way is telling people not to worry. It's only affecting frames built on this date and so on. I would rather assume it is every frame on all 06/07 bikes and be on the safe side. Who cares. I am not married to Yamaha and could really give a crap about them or their bikes. I care about people. The last crack to be posted was huge. It didn't look safe at all. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt due to this obvious manufacturing screw up. I'm sorry if you don't think it's that serious. Just ask any one that was two up with a loved one, and noticed a crack afterwards how serious they think it is.

A) You need to do more research. Yamaha had an issue with welds when they started the Gen II bikes and fixed it. Assume all you want.

B) ALL frame cracks are dangerous and the bike needs to be immediately parked when it cracks. Are you saying the prior smaller cracks looked "safer" ? At no time did I, nor anyone else, ever say these are not dangerous and we don't care about the riders or pillions.

What state of mind are you in when you post this negativity anyway?

Last edited:
Okay. Here's the latest from the new owner. He said Yamaha has agreed to fix the crack in the frame. Agreed middle of May. Said expect the bike to be fixed some time in July or later. That just wouldn't have worked for me so I'm glad I let it go. Sorry it took so long for me to respond about this.

Okay. Here's the latest from the new owner. He said Yamaha has agreed to fix the crack in the frame. Agreed middle of May. Said expect the bike to be fixed some time in July or later. That just wouldn't have worked for me so I'm glad I let it go. Sorry it took so long for me to respond about this.

Wow ! two possibly more months to fix :banghead: Totally unacceptable , they would lose me as a customer for LIFE if that happened to me. That and I'd go out of my way to let everyone know how I was treated.

Wow ! two possibly more months to fix :banghead: Totally unacceptable , they would lose me as a customer for LIFE if that happened to me. That and I'd go out of my way to let everyone know how I was treated.

I take a different read from this. If I found a crack on my USED second owner bike, went to the dealer and they got the manufacturer to REPLACE (they don't repair) the whole frame, I'd be very happy with them.

When they find this crack, Yamaha actually brings in a brand new frame, strips the bike and completely rebuilds it onto the new frame. This might be the age of instant gratification, but some things actually take time to complete. I don't know about your experience with parts these days but I have to wait 10 to 14 days for basic parts, never mind a whole frame! I also would not want my bike taken apart and slapped back together as quiclkly as possible, but rather as well and carefully as possible.

Overall I think that Yamaha is doing the right thing. It is bad that this was ever an issue, and a serious one without doubt, but they are not taking the sucks to be you approach after the warranty period is over, or a machine changes hands.

I take a different read from this. If I found a crack on my USED second owner bike, went to the dealer and they got the manufacturer to REPLACE (they don't repair) the whole frame, I'd be very happy with them.

When they find this crack, Yamaha actually brings in a brand new frame, strips the bike and completely rebuilds it onto the new frame. This might be the age of instant gratification, but some things actually take time to complete. I don't know about your experience with parts these days but I have to wait 10 to 14 days for basic parts, never mind a whole frame! I also would not want my bike taken apart and slapped back together as quiclkly as possible, but rather as well and carefully as possible.

Overall I think that Yamaha is doing the right thing. It is bad that this was ever an issue, and a serious one without doubt, but they are not taking the sucks to be you approach after the warranty period is over, or a machine changes hands.

The " right thing " would have been a recall years ago :) !!!!! The frames should be stocked and ready to go !!!! Yamaha knows they have an issue ! They should be in the USA and ready to distribute. I've had fishing equipment and motorcycle parts shipped from Japan in less than 10 days.......... to my front door. :)

The biggest retard motorcycle mechanic on the planet should be able to change that frame out in 8 hours with a nice long lunch :) The reason its going to take so long ???............ the dealer is busy ripping off customers and the LAST thing they WANT to do is warranty work that Yamaha will pay them a FAIR price to do.. They much rather be busy bending people over :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honest dealers are few and far between, two possibly more months is INSANE ! 14 days MAX to get the frame ( if its coming from Japan ) and 2 days MAX for the work.......... if the mechanic is a lazy bastard. lol.

If the frame cracks were not a known issue and yamaha stepped up and did this for a second owner , well that's one thing. Failing to have a recall on a motorcycle that has a serious KNOWN issue with frames cracking that just dangerous, unethical, morally suspect and unforgivable.

You act like we should pat Yamaha on the back for screwing people , risking lives and making someone wait 2 or more months while they fix a screw up that should have been recalled 7 years ago !

So yes, I guess we see things a bit differently :)

OldSchool, if I seem worked up and annoyed its at Yamaha not you ! Just seems we live in a world where people are so used to getting screwed by big corporations that when its only a partial screwing we have become conditioned to feel grateful. LOL

So thank you Yamaha for only giving 2006-2007 FZ1 owners a partial screwing !

Last edited:
OldSchool, if I seem worked up and annoyed its at Yamaha not you ! Just seems we live in a world were people are so used to getting screwed by big corporations that when its only a partial screwing we have become conditioned to feel grateful. LOL

So thank you Yamaha for only giving 2006-2007 FZ1 owners a partial screwing !

I work with truck drivers, so I have thick skin, don't sweat it.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, as long as it doesn't get into personal attacks.

My personal feeling is I won't buy another frame with a design like that. I check my frame welds on my current machine every time I take off the tanks. I take nothing for granted.

I work with truck drivers, so I have thick skin, don't sweat it.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, as long as it doesn't get into personal attacks.

My personal feeling is I won't buy another frame with a design like that. I check my frame welds on my current machine every time I take off the tanks. I take nothing for granted.

My wife always says I have a mouth like a truck driver :) ( no offense to truck drivers ) lol.

I don't think anything is wrong with the design of the frame. Probably just bad welds. Someone may have put the wrong numbers into the robotic welder. I'm sure he was compelled to commit ritual suicide after the mistake was found .

Back