stock exhaust mod?

Stevierst

Has anyone out there taken the stock end can apart on the gen II? I love the way my 2010 pulls with almost gen I bottom and mid range. I don't want to ruin the grunty lower end of the rev range by getting rid if the EXUP on the standard can and messing around with fuelling.
What I really want is just a bit of extra noise, for her to sound like the sportsbike she really is. So can the standard can be 'gutted' or modded? And has anyone done it?

It helps massively with filtering too, so the 'cagers' can hear you even if they don't see you!

Has anyone out there taken the stock end can apart on the gen II? I love the way my 2010 pulls with almost gen I bottom and mid range. I don't want to ruin the grunty lower end of the rev range by getting rid if the EXUP on the standard can and messing around with fuelling.
What I really want is just a bit of extra noise, for her to sound like the sportsbike she really is. So can the standard can be 'gutted' or modded? And has anyone done it?

It helps massively with filtering too, so the 'cagers' can hear you even if they don't see you!

Everything you are referring to can be tuned out by proper tuning. The EXUP device is for noise from back firing.

Beast

You can gut the stock can but in my opinion it sound like a fart can on a civic.
Plus from what I remember you have to cut apart the stock can, gut it, then re weld it. You can also take it off and drill holes through the baffles. Either way you better off just buying a slip on with proven performance since increasing the flow is precisely what a slip on does. You also lose a lot of weight. As far as fueling issues you should be fine if you leave the pre-catand EXUP valve intact. It will just run a little rich. The stock ecu is pretty good at metering fuel though if you leave the O2 sensor alone. Really all a slip on does is make the bike louder. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Last edited:
AAah, now I see. was thinking that the Gen II EXUP was the same as the earlier one in the headers.:doh2:
Cant see the point in having it if that's all it does! Basically it's just a restriction then! Time for it to go, along with the cat :evillaugh:

Now, about slip ons..........:hook2:

I missed an "and" somewhere. I meant the Pre cat AND exup valve.

Got it. ;) The only problem is, no aftermarket manufacturer includes an EXUP valve with their exhaust and the Gen II EXUP is part of the stock can when removed. So, unless someone wants to cut that off the stock can and find a way to adapt an aftermarket can to this, you cannot do both.

Lose the exup, gut the cat and tune it to compensate. These are not low-end bikes with a lot of torque and to get performance, we riders need to stay in the higher RPM range. It's simply the nature of any I4 motor.

Got it. ;) The only problem is, no aftermarket manufacturer includes an EXUP valve with their exhaust and the Gen II EXUP is part of the stock can when removed. So, unless someone wants to cut that off the stock can and find a way to adapt an aftermarket can to this, you cannot do both.

Lose the exup, gut the cat and tune it to compensate. These are not low-end bikes with a lot of torque and to get performance, we riders need to stay in the higher RPM range. It's simply the nature of any I4 motor.

I can be done, but Cobalt is right, it isn't worth it. I agree about the mods since I have all of the above. If your patient and mechanically inclined you can do it for less that 300 bucks (with used parts). PC is the most expensive part. Furthermore with all the fantastic support on this site you will have good help to get the job done. I have the airbox mod, modded flies, cat gut, exup delete, and Akrapovic shorty slip on, tuned with a PC3 and I have plenty of power everywhere. The only rpm range which leaves a little to be desired is under 3500rpm but come on its a 1liter I4. Even that can be changed with some very conservative gearing changes.

My 2010 Gen II has the updated ECU for a bit more bottom end grunt. I was originally after a Gen I for the fact that it has a bit more flexibility low down, but got offered a deal that I couldn't refuse:smokin2:

I'm just a bit concerned that if I go down the mod route that I'll lose the bottom end pull, and ruin the already rubbish fuel consumption, thus pushing the power further up the rev range.

I had a '98 R1 4XV streetfighter previously, and that had probably the most flexible engine I have ever used (big mistake selling it!) My 2010 FZ1 is 'nearly' as good, and I'm a bit concerned that tuning will turn it into a thrashy rev monster with no torque.

This is my old bike, the buyer couldn't handle it and is selling it on.
Yamaha YZF-R1 Motorbike STREETFIGHTER | eBay

Is it wrong to have ones cake and eat it??

My 2010 Gen II has the updated ECU for a bit more bottom end grunt. I was originally after a Gen I for the fact that it has a bit more flexibility low down, but got offered a deal that I couldn't refuse:smokin2:

I'm just a bit concerned that if I go down the mod route that I'll lose the bottom end pull, and ruin the already rubbish fuel consumption, thus pushing the power further up the rev range.

I had a '98 R1 4XV streetfighter previously, and that had probably the most flexible engine I have ever used (big mistake selling it!) My 2010 FZ1 is 'nearly' as good, and I'm a bit concerned that tuning will turn it into a thrashy rev monster with no torque.

I`am a bit different to most on the site,been down the modding track before,I prefer to leave the FZ1 motor,exhaust stock.Also because I do a lot of long rides, have other bikes to mod if I like

Well I had my cake and it was good. Worst case you can go one down up front (It is terrifying by the way), you have to remember these bikes have really high gearing aimed at long cruising. You could also go back to stock. This started just wanting to make the bike louder so if your that worried just get the slip on. Fuel mileage wise its not the worst when you tune it properly. I still average about 32-35. If I ride like an old lady I can still push 40mpg in warmer weather at 70-75. I can also lift the front wheel at 4200-4500 with a quick throttle stab. :teeter:

You could buy a cheap used stock can off ebay,have it cut open, reworked then welded up,there are pro`s who can do this for you if you don`t have the equipment, if you don`t like it no big loss

The mpg is really a problem when you mod the Fz1. I just have a slip-on and a K&N airfilter and even blocking the AIS I still got popping, the bike was to lean so I added a PC V and added some fuel mainly in the 0 column (2%) and loaded a canned map with about the same mods. The mpg went down to 37 which is not nice (do a lot of long rides and 20k miles a year) but ok. Now that the temperature dropped the mpg suck completely because the ECU makes the bike much to rich without O2 sensor.

I am looking into solutions but all of them are a hassle, requiring some changes between cold and warm weather (connecting/disconnecting the O2 sensor) which I really do not like.

So if you ride in cold and warm weather the modding comes with a really bad mpg.

Thanks guys. The fuel consumption is the biggest issue really. My old R1 did 45mpg, and even when I rode hard, it only dropped to 40.

The best gas mileage i got out of the FZ1 was 47mpg riding like a vicar, the first tankful only 35mpg, riding 'normally' on my commute. It's averaging only about 35-37mpg which for a modern machine, litre 4 or not, it's bloody awful!!! (even my Aprillia Futura did 40mpg average, My Tiger did 42mpg average, and the R1 45mpg) I do about 12,000-15,000 miles per annum commuting, so it gets a bit expensive.

I commute daily on this bike, and absolutely love it to bits. Then I have to fill it up with fuel and it breaks my heart! Might sell it on this summer and get a Gen 1, then mod it to make it better. Almost the same power, but with 45 mpg. I'd be stupid not to!

Thanks guys. The fuel consumption is the biggest issue really. My old R1 did 45mpg, and even when I rode hard, it only dropped to 40.

The best gas mileage i got out of the FZ1 was 47mpg riding like a vicar, the first tankful only 35mpg, riding 'normally' on my commute. It's averaging only about 35-37mpg which for a modern machine, litre 4 or not, it's bloody awful!!! (even my Aprillia Futura did 40mpg average, My Tiger did 42mpg average, and the R1 45mpg) I do about 12,000-15,000 miles per annum commuting, so it gets a bit expensive.

I commute daily on this bike, and absolutely love it to bits. Then I have to fill it up with fuel and it breaks my heart! Might sell it on this summer and get a Gen 1, then mod it to make it better. Almost the same power, but with 45 mpg. I'd be stupid not to!

So long as it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters.

Yep, that's true. My dad just saw the FZ this morning, and loved it. (he rides a HD 1200XLS:poke:)

When I open the garage door, I smile. I ride it and thoroughly love it. I've got until summer to get used to it's little quirks and enjoy the machine for what it really is, A sit up sports bike!:evillaugh:

Yep, that's true. My dad just saw the FZ this morning, and loved it. (he rides a HD 1200XLS:poke:)

When I open the garage door, I smile. I ride it and thoroughly love it. I've got until summer to get used to it's little quirks and enjoy the machine for what it really is, A sit up sports bike!:evillaugh:
Yep, just ride it for awhile,don`t worry about the fuel, I did for the first 6mts, now it doesn`t bother me,a "Tip" just look the other way at the gas station at what your mates bikes use

Out of curiosity couldn't you load maps in your PCV that you could adjust for temperature and riding style.

I spoke with the Two Brother Head Customer Service Manager for about a half hour on the topic of modding the stock can, air filter, and fuel control unit.

He said if you put just the slip on can on there it should generate no real change in mpg and a little increase in performance. He said you get into trouble when you do the air filter. He said that if you do the air filter alone without the Juicebox Pro/PCV then you run lean and have issues that way. If you are going to pick an order to do the mods he suggested the following, exhaust then JuiceBox/PCV, then air filter. He actually said for most bikes unless you are going for a full track set up it is almost better to keep in the OEM air filter. He noted that is what probably causes the most engine issues as well as reducing fuel mileage. And whatever minute increase in power you may get in the air filter upgrade is not really worth it for most that are just weekend riders and commuters.

I thought it was pretty cool that this guy who could have bumped his sales by another $50 because they do sell air filters was almost discouraging it for me because I told him I was a commuter and weekend rider.

Out of curiosity couldn't you load maps in your PCV that you could adjust for temperature and riding style.

I spoke with the Two Brother Head Customer Service Manager for about a half hour on the topic of modding the stock can, air filter, and fuel control unit.

He said if you put just the slip on can on there it should generate no real change in mpg and a little increase in performance. He said you get into trouble when you do the air filter. He said that if you do the air filter alone without the Juicebox Pro/PCV then you run lean and have issues that way. If you are going to pick an order to do the mods he suggested the following, exhaust then JuiceBox/PCV, then air filter. He actually said for most bikes unless you are going for a full track set up it is almost better to keep in the OEM air filter. He noted that is what probably causes the most engine issues as well as reducing fuel mileage. And whatever minute increase in power you may get in the air filter upgrade is not really worth it for most that are just weekend riders and commuters.

I thought it was pretty cool that this guy who could have bumped his sales by another $50 because they do sell air filters was almost discouraging it for me because I told him I was a commuter and weekend rider.

Sounds like a good guy. Yes you could but you would need multiple tuned maps or be really good at tuning your own maps. Unless you have a PC V which has the capability of autotune. Regardless you will always run more rich in colder weather, stock or otherwise due to higher air density. I agree with his logic though, exhaust, PC, intake mods. I due track my bike but its mostly DD. I noticed a huge difference in throttle response when I completed my intake mods. I did keep OEM filter just opened up the intake. Like I said earlier my mods didn't hurt my MPGs enough for me to grip about, with the PCIII and proper tune it's just about perfect for me. Plus that louder growl echoing under the tank is intoxicating. Again to each his own.

Back