Steering Dampers / Stabilisers

Any recommendations on steering dampers?

In particular I was looking at the GPR V4... Does anyone have one and if so how do they stack up against conventional dampers?

Thanks

Joey

I have a GPR and while I cannot compare it to any others, I can tell you that I really like the way this one performs as well as how integrated it looks. I've tested this by purposely coming down unsettled to try and create head-shake but it's one or two wobbles (set on 12 out of 20) and I'm straight again. It's quite a confidence booster!

The GPR is a very nice and compact setup and I know Eric really likes his. I have a Hyperpro on my FZ1 and love it as well. It mounts differently, but still very tidy setup. I have the "reactive" one so while you can adjust how much it dampens, it also self-adjusts depending on how quickly you move the piston in it. That means a particularly nasty tank-slapper is brought under control immediately...

attachment.php

attachment.php

i have a sprint steering damper on my 06 FZ1N, bolts on under the front headlight behind the forks, really neat, works great!
i do like the look of the one in the pics above tho, nice to be able to see the damper,
where did ya get that one and how much?
will it fit the 06 FZ1N?

Risers.... yes. That is a drawback to the GPR.... You're stuck with stock risers so you'd better like that ergo! :D

Very nice setup Tony!

NJ... I really like that steering dampener do you have any idea if it would work with the SV lower risers? Will a R1 model fit, if so what year would I look for?

Craig, not sure about the fit with the SV risers. I guess it really depends how much shorter they are than the standard FZ1 ones. There is a little bit of room between the damper and the bars as you can see. And as for the R1 one it wont work as the mounting brackets are different and bike specific. However, the damper itself will work as Hyperpro uses the same model for various bikes.

i have a sprint steering damper on my 06 FZ1N, bolts on under the front headlight behind the forks, really neat, works great!
i do like the look of the one in the pics above tho, nice to be able to see the damper,
where did ya get that one and how much?
will it fit the 06 FZ1N?

The Sprint one is actually nice, but you're right if you want to show it off and have access to easily adjust then a top mounted one like the GPR or Hyperpro is the way to go. I bought this one used from the forum, but new they go for about 450 USD:

HyperPro Yamaha FZ1 Steering Damper 06-08,Hyperpro FZ1 Damper,Sportbike Stabilizers, - Tobefast

And I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the FZ1N since the bars and risers are the same as the FZ1S.

Back