Sprockets?

Sorry for bringing this up but I just can't find info on a good quality chain and sprocket setup. I think I'll be going to a 16t front 46t rear but was wondering about quality brands...I'm going with a DID chain, I know that much...if someone could just direct me to the thread I'd appreciate it.

FWIW, I always use JT steel sprockets. They aren't fancy or trick or super light but they're cost effective OEM-quality replacements.

I just installed a did chain and vortex front and rear sprockets. I'm all about the steel and 530 chain due to durability and longevity, but I have only been riding for year so take it for what it's worth.

When it comes to sprockets you best bet is to just make sure they are steel units. Most guys will that are going with a 16T front just buy the stock OEM GenI front sprocket. Partshark has them at a good price and they are Factory Yamaha units. If you go that route you may as well just order the OEM Rear as well. You can't go wrong with OEM sprockets. They will go well with your DID Chain too.

Partshark.com has the front 16T for only $21 bucks: SPROCKET, DRIVE
4XV-17460-00-00

As for the rear, you could probably just call them to get the proper tooth number you want.

I looked up the rear on the Partshark site and JT has no 46T but has 45T Sprockets: Rear Sprocket

product # 55-47945, They are $42 bucks.

Last edited:
I went with the oem 16t off the gen 1 and its nice because it has the rubber on the sides so its a little quieter, and for the rear i got a driven 47t steel sprocket and it looks great and was about $40 online

I have JT front and supersprox rear (aluminium+steel) and DID chain

I'm really not impressed with the DID chain , when I change a part on my bike I want to change it with something better then stock, performance or endurance oriented .

DID has always been a good chain for me but I've seen RK offered more frequently lately. Be prepared to lay out between $165 and $200 for a good set. If taken care of, it will last several years. My bike is six years old with 26,000 miles and still has the OEM chain with plenty of miles left.

My bike is at 27K miles and still rocking the stock chain and rear sprocket. I put a used (less than 4K miles) 16 tooth sprocket on it. I do have the replacement parts ready to go in the garage. I will replace them at 30K miles.

What I learned from off-road racing is that if you replace the front sprocket more often the chain and rear sprockets last much longer. The reason is that the front sprockets teeth get more wear from more frequent contact with the chain rollers and aplified in the off-road environment. This damage is then transfered to the chain and rear sprocket. So, once I get to 45K miles, I will go ahead replace the front sprocket as a preventative measure.

I agree,on the 919 hornet I had,I flipped the front sprocket over worked well, as it runs on the unworn side of the teeth,I have`nt looked yet if it can be done with the FZ1:icon_beer:

My bike is at 27K miles and still rocking the stock chain and rear sprocket. I put a used (less than 4K miles) 16 tooth sprocket on it. I do have the replacement parts ready to go in the garage. I will replace them at 30K miles.

What I learned from off-road racing is that if you replace the front sprocket more often the chain and rear sprockets last much longer. The reason is that the front sprockets teeth get more wear from more frequent contact with the chain rollers and aplified in the off-road environment. This damage is then transfered to the chain and rear sprocket. So, once I get to 45K miles, I will go ahead replace the front sprocket as a preventative measure.

Back