Sprockets 15t & 45t

So I finished rebuilding my engine/transmission got her all back together and went ahead a put on a 15t front with a 45t rear and HOLY CHIT!!!!! Its like a whole new bike now the power is absolutely ridiculous with this set up, at any rpm the front lifts abruptly with only throttle and it yanks it right back all the way up when shifting to 2nd. Corners I use to be able to power out of at wide open throttle in 2nd&3rd is a nono now, the rear will quickly let go in 2nd with too much throttle and even in 3rd just not as viciously. Only complaint I have is when cruising I find myself hunting for 7th gear quite often.

Anyone else run this setup? How do you like it? And I would love to see some 1/4m times with this setup

Looks like you have a gear ratio of 3. You don't want anything much more than 2.8 really
Or you second gear will be your new 1st. This is why your looking for a 7th gear. You've gone too far. Your top end will be pants too. You can even loose bhp too..! Check this web page. P.S divide your front sprocket teeth by the rear teeth to find the ratio.

Read this AMA Pro Road Racing News - Tech Tuesday: Motorcycle Final Drive Ratio

I use 16f 45r

Cheers Delta.

Looks like you have a gear ratio of 3. You don't want anything much more than 2.8 really
Or you second gear will be your new 1st. This is why your looking for a 7th gear. You've gone too far. Your top end will be pants too. You can even loose bhp too..! Check this web page. P.S divide your front sprocket teeth by the rear teeth to find the ratio.

Read this AMA Pro Road Racing News - Tech Tuesday: Motorcycle Final Drive Ratio

I use 16f 45r

Cheers Delta.
It is a big jump no doubt but its not much more aggressive than the 16/47 setup some people run. I always use this site before making a selection on gearing (gearing commander.com) and its not near as bad as what you think as you can see in the pics. I'd still love to see some real world results as in 1/4 mile times but I imagine the hard part would be keeping the nose down through 1st and 2nd.
d43be46f4e95fef6e4f7a620a204fb93.jpg
a5a34dc4ea64975873a382528d4e7f7a.jpg
1d560b4ff571d22c40d207a03f0edbba.jpg

Not too far actually, as it's a Gen1.

It's still a ratio of 3 and I still say 2.8 or just over is as far as you want to go. Unless you want a stunt bike.. Besides if you can't keep the front down when aggressively using the throttle your quarter mile times will be rubbish. Yes?

Last edited:
It's still a ratio of 3 and I still say 2.8 or just over is as far as you want to go. Unless you want a stunt bike.. Besides if you can't keep the front down when aggressively using the throttle your quarter mile times will be rubbish. Yes?
A ratio of 3 isn't that bad, most stunters put custom sprockets of +12 teeth and up for the rear or a final drive of 3.5+ on their bikes which in that case yes you would lose significant acceleration. With the 15/45 setup, you lose no top speed and maxes the engine out in 6th gear at 160ish which is just over what a stock bike is capable of so its setup pretty much for best possible acceleration. As far as keeping the front end down, yes if you wheelie you lose forward momentum but wheeling can be controlled by technique.

Back