Speedometer Rort

Is there any other consumer good where you would accept being ripped off 8.5%. Its all very good to say "OK it keeps me from getting booked for speeding" but if you are entitled to a 100k warranty and your speedo reads 8.5% optimistic then you don't get warranty for 8,500km that you have purchased. Not picking on Yamaha here it's nearly every motor vehicle.
Any comments?

I've heard this 8.5% thing a lot but I don't know if it's as cut and dry as that. Although I know this isn't a scientific test, I have compared my speedo readouts to various GPS and radar readouts on several bikes (including the FZ1) and have never found anything more than 2-3% difference. My SV is only 1% off what my GPS reads out.

Mine was showing 100kph in a straight line (very important for gps) the gps showed 91.5kph. With a speedo DRD adjusted 8.5% its very close. We have here "NSW Australia" roadside radar? at Roadworks that show your speed. Mine is now either on the money or showing on the speedo 1kph higher. Very similar on my car, the error I mean. Also In the truck I drive, it's about 6% to 7% out. All checked against two GPS units.
Forgot to mention in Australia it is legal for the Speedo to read up to to 10% faster than your actual speed. Not sure about the legal requirements elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes the thing is that the ADR regulations still state that the speedo must be within +or- 10%, now lets say your speedo is - 10% then at you are doing 110 Kph in a 100Kph zone and receive a hefty fine !! If you take it to court as I have done you will LOOSE !! after nearly $8000 in legal fees I gave up. The law is not the law when it suits them. Get a DRD set it up with a good GPS and KNOW exactly what speed you are going.

Yes the thing is that the ADR regulations still state that the speedo must be within +or- 10%, now lets say your speedo is - 10% then at you are doing 110 Kph in a 100Kph zone and receive a hefty fine !! If you take it to court as I have done you will LOOSE !! after nearly $8000 in legal fees I gave up. The law is not the law when it suits them. Get a DRD set it up with a good GPS and KNOW exactly what speed you are going.

Even worse is that I believe this law applys to vehicles under 10 years old. After 10 years they can be out by 50% & still be roadworthy.

I think at most "legal" speeds the speedometer reads relatively close. That grows quite a bit into the triple digits though. I think Motorcycle Consumer News posts indicated vs. actual speeds in there reviews.

Is there any other consumer good where you would accept being ripped off 8.5%. Its all very good to say "OK it keeps me from getting booked for speeding" but if you are entitled to a 100k warranty and your speedo reads 8.5% optimistic then you don't get warranty for 8,500km that you have purchased. Not picking on Yamaha here it's nearly every motor vehicle.
Any comments?

Don't confuse speedometer with odometer. Just because your speedometer reads a little faster than what you're actually traveling it doesn't mean that your odometer is showing the accurate distance traveled.

My speedo read 9.1% off when stock. I changed 1 down on the front sprocket, added a Speedo DRD, and now it reads right on. Never care about the odometer though.

Cheers,

MrHix

Don't confuse speedometer with odometer. Just because your speedometer reads a little faster than what you're actually traveling it doesn't mean that your odometer is showing the accurate distance traveled.

This most likely true with a stock geared bike, but if you re-gear then your odometer will be off as well your speedometer (with out DRD or healer). Just wanted to point that out.

Last edited:
As mentioned, speedometer error does not equate to odometer error. Most odometers are within a couple of percent of true mileage, and since it will vary depending on tire circumference or other changes in gearing is this something we really need to worry about? I'm certainly not lying awake at night thinking that Yamaha and the industry is ripping me off.

This most likely true with a stock geared bike, but if you re-gear then your odometer will be off as well your speedometer (with out DRD or healer). Just wanted to point that out.

Well that goes w/o saying. Once you change your stock gearing both speedometer and odometer will be off. I miss the days of the front wheel cable driven speedometers (well not really :D), but at least you never had to worry about gearing changes affecting the speedometer/odometer accuracy.

Back