Sorry Guys....Heading to the Dark Side

Congratulation! "Going over to the dark side" has a different meaning up here

Ok, I get the hint about the term "Dark Side"...In the dirt bike world (I ride orange there, too) getting a Kawi wouldn't even be considered. Well.....It would be considered blasphemy(and heading to the dark side).

Last edited:
IMG_2187.jpg

Poor kid....

Ok, I get the hint about the term "Dark Side"...In the dirt bike world (I ride orange there, too) getting a Kawi wouldn't even be considered. Well.....It would be considered blasphemy.

You don't get "the dark side" - it's not a "hint". You're young. That's ok. It's better than being old in many ways - except experience. It's just kinda obvious.

Personally I think the Z1000 is a great bike. I've ridden one a few times and the low and mid-range power, combined with great gearing (same as FZ1 with 16T front sprocket) and spot on fueling makes it a a really nice street bike. Like most others I'm a little put off by the looks of it, especially the pipes. However, I'm sure the aftermarket is brimming with some nice replacement parts ;)

Personally I think the Z1000 is a great bike. I've ridden one a few times and the low and mid-range power, combined with great gearing (same as FZ1 with 16T front sprocket) and spot on fueling makes it a a really nice street bike. Like most others I'm a little put off by the looks of it, especially the pipes. However, I'm sure the aftermarket is brimming with some nice replacement parts ;)

Well said. It has a great motor and handles well. I have a friend that has one and have ridden it. Just not as sexy as the FZ1. :yes:

my big butt and his bike:

I don't get what he thought you didn't get but actually got...

Regardless, the Kawi looks like a very fun bike.

When you get some miles in please give us a comparison.

Yeah - I was thinking the dark side as in star wars -- let's see that came out in 1977. So maybe you were kinda young! That is a good thing!

Wow! I'm 54 and still being called young!! Thank You!!!! :yes:

I'm 54 as well! Congrats on the new bike. I'm excited for you and please stay on the board and keep us updated on how you like the ride, pros and cons.

The "dark side" with bikes, as Dustin said, usually refers to putting a car tire on the back of a bike. It's flat but the idea is that it will last a lot longer. It's a very dangerous move IMO. Yea, bike tires don't last too long but they're made to do what they're supposed to do and that is ride at an infinite number of angles. I've read a couple of stories on a couple of forums of dark siders getting hurt and even dying because they couldn't make a proper turn.

BTW, on my scooter forum the dark side also means someone who buys a motorcycle, so Pete is right to say it could be anything outside the norm. In fact even Norm is a little outside the norm.

To me the dark side is the style of the bike and not so much the make. Going to a cruiser or a true race bike like the R1 would be considered crossing over, but you are sticking with a naked standard again, so may the force be with you!

Yeah - I was thinking the dark side as in star wars -- let's see that came out in 1977. So maybe you were kinda young! That is a good thing!

Let's see... 1977 I was married and riding a '74 Honda CB360 {gasp} (Please note it was still Orange!! LOL)

HONDA-CB360G.jpg

Last edited:
It always comes down to "You pays your money and you makes your choice." I'm sure you'll love it. It has charisma. Eric likes the transformer look. I don't. And thus the world turns. Enjoy my friend.

I love the FZ1 but I also think you can't go wrong with a Kwacka. Out here in Oz they received very good reviews.

I'm actually thinking of the ZX14R for my next bike....in a few years!

I love the FZ1 but I also think you can't go wrong with a Kwacka. Out here in Oz they received very good reviews.

I'm actually thinking of the ZX14R for my next bike....in a few years!

That bike is a beauty! Since the C14 engine is apparently based off this machine it's probably smooth as silk. Apparently, from what Eric and I learned at the dealer the Hayabusa and ZX14 are both restricted to 186 MPH. I guess the fun is how quick you can get there, lol.

In fact one day when Eric and I were riding some smaller roads at warp speed we arrived back home the day before we left. Now that was cool. We passed everything. Near the very end of the ride Eric got held up at an intersection I had just crossed. I slowed to wait for him and lo and behold a cop was tucked away in the bushes right next us. Eric thought he was just napping in the shade. Could be.

That bike is a beauty! Since the C14 engine is apparently based off this machine it's probably smooth as silk. Apparently, from what Eric and I learned at the dealer the Hayabusa and ZX14 are both restricted to 186 MPH. I guess the fun is how quick you can get there, lol.

In fact one day when Eric and I were riding some smaller roads at warp speed we arrived back home the day before we left. Now that was cool. We passed everything. Near the very end of the ride Eric got held up at an intersection I had just crossed. I slowed to wait for him and lo and behold a cop was tucked away in the bushes right next us. Eric thought he was just napping in the shade. Could be.

We only ever did 5 mph over... it was the 10 mph Q-Tip snowbirds we were passing. ;)

Back