Smell of gas

firefly

Was riding today & while waiting for the light to change a strong gas smell happened, I thought the bike will catch fire at any moment, I quickly stopped and looked at the carbs, the left carb was leaking gas:( luckily I was close to an auto parts store, borrowed a mallet & whacked the carb a few times thinking it is a stuck float valve, I think it worked but not so sure since I had to ride the bike on the freeway. lately I've been smelling gas on & off but never that strong.
my question now is: how do I fix that without opening the carbs? is there an additive that would lubricate the float valve that I can try?
Thanks

Not worth the risk, fix it and have peace of mind. By that I mean pull the carb and fix it. Probably worth looking at all of them though.

I know its not worth it but I use the bike daily for work & cannot be down more than one day, eventually I'll have to do it, do I just get 4 float valves & gaskets or do I need to replace more stuff? while in there?
Thanks

If a breakdown isn't in the agenda, go grab a can of Seafoam from any auto parts store and run a few ounces through the system. It may clear up some gunk thats causing your float to stick. However, it may not. In any case it will clean up the carbs for sure. The stuff is great. It's one ounce per gallon of gas but I'd go 1-1/4 Ounce per gallon for the initial dose.

Anyone ever try mmo (marval mystery oil) for this purpose? In cars it works well and is less than half the cost.. I use it primarily as an oil additive when a oil change is in the near future and a ring soak medium.

Anyone ever try mmo (marval mystery oil) for this purpose? In cars it works well and is less than half the cost.. I use it primarily as an oil additive when a oil change is in the near future and a ring soak medium.

I've been using 50cc of carb cleaner every fill up & know the carbs are very clean but the float valve sticking makes me feel It needs some kind of lubrication, I like MMOil & will give it a try, I add some to oil 200 miles before changing it just to clean things up.

Back