Slip-on for stock...is it reeeeally THAT simple?

Hello all, new to he forum and to Fz's!!! Got my '01 Fz1 about a week ago, and absolutely LOOOOOOOOOVE IT. It is a piece of cake to ride, and far and away the smoothest bike I've ever owned or been on.

That being said, it's basically all stocl except a Corbin and windshield. I just ordered a scorpion slip on.....is it really as simple as swapping them out, or is there more to it? I thought I read awhile ago that on some dude's bike that when initially changing from the factory pipe, he had to add something else. And please explain it like you are talking to a two-year old, b/c I'm kinda 'learning on the job', so to speak, and don't understand a lot yet.

Thanks!

Chad

Yes it really is as simple as swapping them out. I'm on a gen 2 and you have to remove the exup cables. I think it's the same with the gen 1. Just remove the cables and leave the servo in place so you don't get an error code. The other thing you "have to add" but don't really have to do is the ais block. When you switch to an aftermarket slip on it's going to pop alot. The popping doesn't hurt it at all, but to some like me, it's annoying, so we just remove the ais and put in some block off plates. The popping will still be there but greatly reduced and you save about a pound of weight.

block plates?

Remember, I don't know jack when it comes to this stuff...what are block off plates, where do I get them and how/where do I put them?

Yes it really is as simple as swapping them out. I'm on a gen 2 and you have to remove the exup cables. I think it's the same with the gen 1. Just remove the cables and leave the servo in place so you don't get an error code. The other thing you "have to add" but don't really have to do is the ais block. When you switch to an aftermarket slip on it's going to pop alot. The popping doesn't hurt it at all, but to some like me, it's annoying, so we just remove the ais and put in some block off plates. The popping will still be there but greatly reduced and you save about a pound of weight.

Someone else chime in who knows more about it, but I believe you can just plug a tube in the airbox for an easier way to stop (or greatly reduce) the popping on decel without having to remove the AIS and use the block off plates.

Some want to remove the servo and AIS to reduce weight a tad and clean up the bike a bit, but I don't think either are necessary. Good luck with it. Show us some pictures when your done, and better yet, give us a video so we can see and hear it.

I hope I bought the right thing, is this what you were referring to:

Powerstands Air Injection Block Off Plates Yamaha FZS600 FZ6 FZ6R R6 R6S FZ1 R1 | eBay

The ones in that picture don't look right, but it may just be a filler picture.

They should be shaped like this
graves_misc_blockoff_plates_yamaha_kawasaki_400.jpg

They are made to replace the plates (with the openings) that provide air from the airbox to the exhaust causing the unburned fuel to ignite and 'pop', thus saving everyone and the planet from horrible unburned fuel.

ais1.JPG

If this is a gen1 there are no block off plates involved when you remove the ais. Theres a nice kit sold by holeshot that will reduce the popping on deceleration (forgive me if I'm wrong about the name). If all you have is the slip on then there is also no need to remove the exup cables either.
Cheers

Oops. Sorry. I didn't read well enough to see this is a Gen 1 AND posted correctly in the Gen 1 section. Everything I posted was Gen 2 stuff. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. :confused:

I think it is a 10/12mm nut/bolt to remove the clamp necessary to remove the mid pipe and cannot recall size for exhaust hanger.

Just remember, bike is metric and not SAE when it comes to using the right wrenches (and a crescent wrench is NOT the right wrench) . Same for allen keys.

Just make sure of position of the mid pipe when installing new, because if you have to put a lot of body weight to reattach the exhaust hanger, you need to readjust the mid-pipe section to take some of the bind out.

Sent from: GS4

Last edited:
Hello all, new to he forum and to Fz's!!! Got my '01 Fz1 about a week ago, and absolutely LOOOOOOOOOVE IT. It is a piece of cake to ride, and far and away the smoothest bike I've ever owned or been on.

That being said, it's basically all stocl except a Corbin and windshield. I just ordered a scorpion slip on.....is it really as simple as swapping them out, or is there more to it? I thought I read awhile ago that on some dude's bike that when initially changing from the factory pipe, he had to add something else. And please explain it like you are talking to a two-year old, b/c I'm kinda 'learning on the job', so to speak, and don't understand a lot yet.

Thanks!

Chad

Chad most comments are for Gen-2 , yours is Gen-1, all you need to do is buy the slipon can that is specifically for gen -1 and install it.
1- put the bike on the center stand
2- loosen the bolts holding the pipe.
3- Install the new pipe.
Nothing else is needed, it is as simple as that, I have a 2004 gen-1 & this is exactly what I did, I installed Delckvic slip on, I am very happy with it and installing it took less than 30 min. its less than $200.00 & you'll feel a great improvement instantly, I would also recommend a timing advancer, these two mods combined really are the best bang for the buck without going into rejetting and all the other StuFF.

Last edited:
Back