Removing the Sub Throttle Plates (flies)

Hi,
I have a 08 FZ1, Modified air box with K&N filter, Yoshi slip on with the the Cat removed, Blocked of the AIS. Is there any truth to the rumor that you get better performance if you remove the Flies all together. All my mods I did thanks to Cooperdawgs expert videos..:nothing:

That's what they say.
If you remove the flies completely, I have heard people say that he bike will bog a little if going to WOT from low revs, but who does that anyway?
Try cable tying the flies open to see if you like it or not before attacking the screws :)

How does your bike go with the Cooperdawg flies in? , I ordered a speed screen of him and cant wait I don't particularly like the stock one..

How does your bike go with the Cooperdawg flies in? , I ordered a speed screen of him and cant wait I don't particularly like the stock one..

It's ok, I guess.
It wasn't the huge jump in performance some others have reported by removing the flies altogether.
If I were to do it all again, I would just remove the flies completely, the only thing stopping me is having to spring for another custom dyno tune.

Yeah it does cause a flat spot at 4240-5000rpm, the thing is if your tuner works on getting the AFR @ 12.5 at these revs in all throttle positions it goes away and is replaced with smooth power with great throttle response, minimal induction bark. I can sit at 3000rpm in sixth and crack the throttle to 100% and it just goes, no snatch or flat spots. Your tuner needs to know that the secondary's are gone and understand what is required.

You didn't mention if you have any fuel management module, so you will most likely need a PC-III or PC-V to tune your EFI's A/F ratio, but the FZ1 is so rich to begin with, it may not be completely necessary if you can live with the flat spots.

I bought Ivan's cut-flies and FCE at the same time. I have been hesitant to install the FCE, but I installed the cut flies as soon as I got them. I noticed very little difference with the cut flies alone. I had the cut-flies with the rest of the mods listed in my sig (minus the FCE). The FCE has been sitting in my tool box for 3 or 4 months and I just decided to go ahead and put it in this past Saturday. WOW!! is all I can say! I barely noticed any power increase when I put in the cut flies alone, but the FCE opens the flies sooner (lower in the rev range).

I'm not saying you need the FCE, but I am trying to make a logical comparison, that if opening the flies sooner and quicker gives this much midrange power (WOW Factor!!), then getting rid of them altogether should have a similar, if not better, midrange power advantage. Although I've never had my flies zip-tied or removed, I say go for it. This maybe the next mod that I try.

Last edited:
Back