Rear Wheel Bearing Failure While on a Trip. Advice Needed

gdcpony

So I get my tire replaced yesterday and the guy mentioned I had a wheel bearing going out. I asked if I could make it back to OH as I am on a trip and have the tools to do the job myself there, and he says it should hold. Well it gave out. I have a clunking in my rear so bad, I thought it was going to fall apart. I cant hear it as I sit here stranded and spin the tire while on the center stand, but riding around the parking lot says "don't get on the highway" pretty clearly.

So how much am I looking at here? My brother has a garage, but VERY limited tools. I can pull the tire with what I got on the bike and take it in. Is this bearing easy to find? online prices seem to be around $60-$90 which seems pricey, and I expect a shop to charge more. Will they have to order them, or are they a common bearing set? Any help would be appreciated.

I am near the end of my trip on the return leg and my wife just informed me that the tire (a new rear) put us in the hurt locker funding wise for the trip. Go figure right?

I dunno if this is too late but chances are unless you go to a yammie dealer they won't have the bearings. Also a PITA to change without the proper puller. It can be done but takes much longer and is way more work. An all balls bearing kit lists for $26. Pivot works lists for $56

I dunno if this is too late but chances are unless you go to a yammie dealer they won't have the bearings. Also a PITA to change without the proper puller. It can be done but takes much longer and is way more work. An all balls bearing kit lists for $26. Pivot works lists for $56

I found a bearing and seal 60 miles away. I got it in yesterday and made it home today. A trip report will be posted soon. I also found that I was not the first person messing with that bearing. After cutting the outer race out (yes it needed cut out), I found gouging behind it. I didn't have time to do more than put in the new bearing and pray (wife was on stand by with the truck just in case), but if it makes a sound I don't like, I will replace or repair the wheel.

I have replaced a lot of bearings in alloy crankcase`s etc , I find a heat gun is the best and easiest way to remove and replace them, you need to heat the casing/wheel not the bearing [ until when you spit on it your spit will just start to sizzle ] turn it downwards and bang the wheel down on a block of wood and it should just about fall out on its own,heat the same to when fitting the new one

Last edited:
glad ya made it home. those kinds of things suck for sure especially on the trip at least it was when you were almost done and not just starting

Back