R1 Head Gasket Vs FZ1

SpeedDoesntKill

Has anyone had experience swapping from stock head gasket to the R1 head gasket? Here's the real question, does the fz1 and the r1 use the same gasket? I know the fz uses two and the r1 has only one, which for packaging reasons may explain the part # difference. Has anyone measured the two??

The stuff in that thread is mostly GEN2 specific

I was wondering about this mod as well actually...What change to compression actually happens, and whether or not its safe to use with a timing advancer as well as what modifications should be done to complement the higher compression ratio.

Information found on the other board:

Don't quote me on the numbers, but if I remember correctly, the stock FZ1 head gasket is 0.032" thick while the stock R1 head gasket is 0.025" thick. This change in head gaskets therefore moves the cam sprockets 0.007" closer to the crankshaft sprocket. Since the cam chain on the front (exhaust) side is tight and a fixed length between these two sprockets, this results in the cams being ~1/2 degree of crankshaft rotation retarded for any given position of the crankshaft since the crankshaft pully is ~1.5" in diameter. Again, I'm pulling all of these numbers from my head.

The R1 gasket will fit, but it changes the cam timing, so you need slotted cam sprockets to re-degree them.

It will only raise the compression from 11.4 to 11.8, and it will retard the cam timing 2 degrees.

Using the R1 gasket will retard the cam timing 2 degrees from wherever it is currently set.

FZ1OA Message Board - View Single Post - Head gaskets

FZ1OA Message Board - View Single Post - Head gaskets

Well, I shifted mine by ~1/2 degree towards the R1 spec (~2 degrees difference between the R1 and FZ1) by replacing the FZ1 head gasket with the R1 head gasket. Changing the head gasket bumps compression from 11.4:1 to the 1st gen R1 spec of 11.8:1. I also cleaned up the head ports (port matched intake side, polished exhaust side). I've got more power everywhere now based on my seat of the pants. I'm sure it was a combination of all of the above.

Has anyone put on an R1 head gasket on and left there cam timing alone and found any detrimental affects ? i got a 3 day ride coming up in 4 weeks and a 3 1/2 week wait for and FZ1 gasket but can get an R1 gasket off the shelf.

Has anyone put on an R1 head gasket on and left there cam timing alone and found any detrimental affects ? i got a 3 day ride coming up in 4 weeks and a 3 1/2 week wait for and FZ1 gasket but can get an R1 gasket off the shelf.

Try giving Ivan a call at " Ivans performance " he knows these bikes better than anyone. He should have an answer for you.

Back