Power loss and stalls

Port8080

My wife and I were riding to the movies when all of a sudden I experienced what can only be described as a sudden loss of power to the throttle. As I rolled on the throttle after making a turn the bike was bucking slightly. At first I thought it was the road but I soon realized it wasn't.

After pulling it over to the side of the road I noticed two things. One, the exhaust sounded funny. Two, a distinct smell of gas. However I couldn't find anything leaking.

I managed to ride the bike home but I felt like I was on a 250cc scooter from both the sound and power the bike was putting out.

Also on the ride home I noticed the R1 fuel gauge flashing. This is and was odd because I haven't yet installed the new fuel sensor for the new gauge. The bike also is barely keeping idle when I start it. It jumps around 500 rpm. When I turned into my driveway and shifted to neutral the bike just stalled.

Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smell of gas and different exhaust sound, sounds to me like some cylinders stopped firing. Did you feel the exhaust headers to see if any were cold?

First pull your plug wires and verify them..
Pull plugs to see if they're fouled.. More than likely the two cylinders that weren't firing will reek of fuel.

take notice if the two cylinders that weren't firing are connected to the same coil. It's possible that one of your coils could have gone bad. (To me that makes the most sense considering two went at the same time)

Other, less likely things to check would be fuel filter/pump...
And more of a pain, (should all other things check-out) possible jet issue.

Back in the 80's I was racing an Rz350, (two carbs) it suddenly fizzled on one cylinder... In a panic I started troubleshooting. It seems my main jet in one of the carbs had fallen out and was in the float bowl...easy fix but strange that it happened!

Good luck with your troubles...

Thanks for the input. Currently I'm working 7 days a week and have very little time to look at the bike though it is my primary vehicle ATM. I'm thinking I might have to take it to a shop.

Now that I think about it can I put dry gas or something along the lines of that in the tank to clear out derby build up? The bike has been sitting for a long time. That might be causing something. The bike doesn't have a lot of miles on it. At least not compared to some gen 1 s

I highly doubt bad fuel is the cause of two cylinders not firing. Maybe rough running, but not firing at all

Pull plugs and check them, if they are wet and reak of fuel, its that the cylinders aren't firing then check coil as suggested and so on

Great news, the issue is fixed. I looked under the tank and this little white connector was unplugged. As soon as I plugged it back in the other two cylinders kicked on.

Can anyone tell me what this connector does? Is it a vacuum? I can take a picture tomorrow if it helps.

If after you reconnected that loose wire and it ran like a champ, then it certainly is not a vacuum line. The gen 1 has two ignition coils located underneath the fuel tank. Each coil feeds electric current to two spark plugs. You will see each spark plug wire going up and connecting to one end of each coil. There are two other wires coming out of each coil. One wire from each coil goes back to the igniter located under the seat. It's a small square electronic unit, and could be expensive if you had to replace it. The other wire coming for each coil goes to the starting circuit/fuel pump and engine stop switch on the handlebar. It is likely the wire that you reconnected is one of the wires coming from one of the coils, resulting in two plugs now firing as normal and producing half the recommended explosions for normal engine operation.

Back