Post your on board cam videos!

I'm looking at getting into track days this coming year. If any track guys are watching this, where do you think I'd stand at the track?
FZ1 fast run through Skaggs - YouTube

I'd say you would probably be fine at the track. Listen to what the instructors say, and don't be in a rush to get through the beginner group too fast. There are a lot of things to learn that go beyond just handling your bike. When I finished my (first) track day last season and reviewed some of my own video, I realized that I could have been operating at a higher RPM to help with corner exit speeds. That might apply to you too, but I'm no expert. You'll find that the bike really wakes up over 8K.

I have to mention that posting videos that show your speedometer while exceeding 100 mph is probably a bad idea. :spank2:

I'm looking at getting into track days this coming year. If any track guys are watching this, where do you think I'd stand at the track?
FZ1 fast run through Skaggs - YouTube

I have only been to one track day and I think you would stand in novice school C group just like everybody else on the first day...lol. That's the attitude I would show up with it is allot to absorb the first time. Well worth the time and money. By the last 2 sessions I was tearing it up pretty well. The thing with track days is they teach you how to ride the track you are at. As far as teaching you technique I may have learned a couple of minor things but nothing major. I am going to hit a few more Thunderhill track days next year then I will go for the track record ;)

Are you on stock sprockets or have you changed the gearing? Looks like a fun run!
I'm running 16/47 with a 190/55 and no speedo healer. It's always fun following this guy! You pretty much see the same local fast guys there all the time lol.

Looks like a fun bit of road but it's spoilt by too many tar snakes for my liking.
The snakes before the 25 mph decreasing radius left have been there for a while and grip fine. The ones between 1:25 and 2:45 were just added, and we're not too happy about them.. They're a bit slippery but after that the road is all clear.

My mate lost his front end on a tar snake here in Australian on a particularly hot day.
The tar was soft and his front tyre just folded after it slid over it.
The tar was so soft that it moved and just gave way.
We've been a bit wary of them ever since, especially on hot days.

Sent from my Nexus 5

My mate lost his front end on a tar snake here in Australian on a particularly hot day.
The tar was soft and his front tyre just folded after it slid over it.
The tar was so soft that it moved and just gave way.
We've been a bit wary of them ever since, especially on hot days.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That's why, when riding on the street, you always keep about 20% in check. If you ride 100% on the street, these things will happen. WAY to many variables that are out of control on the street. I save the 'fast' riding for track-days etc...

--Ladders/furniture that decided to jump off the truck
--Little miss muffet, dropped her muffin and swerved a couple feet into your lane
--Mike-the-mechanic's old jalopy only leaks a few pints per trip...
--Henry-the-Home-Remodel-Hero didn't care that he lost 100lbs of sand on his way home.
--Larry the landscaper forgot to put a tip on that line..now there's a small flood on your favorite corner.

250,000+ miles of surviving on the street can't be wrong.

You get the point by now I'm sure.

No doubt, the tar snakes don't like warm weather very much. I've also noticed they also slip on the cold end of the spectrum. It seems like they grip best around 70F.

I totally agree Walter, a rider who always tries to push himself to 100% on the street is as good as dead. That was about 70-80% in my video. There are certain corners where I just slow down beforehand due to past experiences. There are a few corners where I just know that a car could possibly be pulling out or stopped around the corner, and there are others where I know deer like to cross. I've had a deer jump out in front of me mid corner before. And as for surviving over 250k miles on the street, congrats! I only have about 10k under my belt, but every single one of those miles is in the twisties ;)

Last edited:
That's why, when riding on the street, you always keep about 20% in check. If you ride 100% on the street, these things will happen. WAY to many variables that are out of control on the street. I save the 'fast' riding for track-days etc...

--Ladders/furniture that decided to jump off the truck
--Little miss muffet, dropped her muffin and swerved a couple feet into your lane
--Mike-the-mechanic's old jalopy only leaks a few pints per trip...
--Henry-the-Home-Remodel-Hero didn't care that he lost 100lbs of sand on his way home.
--Larry the landscaper forgot to put a tip on that line..now there's a small flood on your favorite corner.

250,000+ miles of surviving on the street can't be wrong.

You get the point by now I'm sure.

Excellent advice!

The keeping 20% in the tank thing is kind of subjective I think. How do you know what 100% is without pushing it to the max limit at least once ??

Last edited:
Back