Popping on decel

Utah06FZ1

I have done Graves velocity stacks, Lars air box mod, K&N filter, TBR Juicebox, TBR VALE slip on, Flies mod and AIS block off (at the air box only) I am popping on decel at speeds below 4500 rpm. The bike is running very strong at 0-4500 rpm at least according to what I have read from other posts that decry the low to mid range performance of the Gen II FZ1. I rode for 130 miles and am pleased as punch with the overall performance of the bike just want to make sure I am not missing something or running a too lean condition. Will pull the plugs and check before I ride again as winter has returned to Utah anyways. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I've heard a few people mention that they still have some popping with just the hose plugged. ( I know I do ) If your planning on pulling the plugs that's the perfect time to install block off plates.
Also check for any exhaust leaks especially where the slip on connects.

I've heard a few people mention that they still have some popping with just the hose plugged. ( I know I do ) If your planning on pulling the plugs that's the perfect time to install block off plates.
Also check for any exhaust leaks especially where the slip on connects.

Since winter has returned, I figure the surest way to know what I have going on is to pull the plugs they don't lie. The popping doesn't bother me as much as the thought of running lean at the lower end, Which is what I will be riding in the most around town in the heat of summer. Thanks for the advice I will order the plates and install while I am at it.

You can try to lean out the 0 column, sometime it work. But popping might be something you need to deal with. Usually it popping because your dumping gaz in the exhaust on deceleration. Just lean her out where it pop, do it a little step at the time.

Since winter has returned, I figure the surest way to know what I have going on is to pull the plugs they don't lie. The popping doesn't bother me as much as the thought of running lean at the lower end, Which is what I will be riding in the most around town in the heat of summer. Thanks for the advice I will order the plates and install while I am at it.

Popping in the case of the AIS is not a lean condition, but just the extra gas combusting. I wouldn't worry too much about it for now. Check the plugs if you want to see how they look and while you're in there completely remove the IAS.

Once the AIS plates are installed and the fuel gets blown out with the exhaust, is this noticeable? ie. do you get fuel stains on your muffler? or is it undetectable?

Once the AIS plates are installed and the fuel gets blown out with the exhaust, is this noticeable? ie. do you get fuel stains on your muffler? or is it undetectable?

Without the AIS operational there will be no popping and no other issues either. We're not talking a whole lot of fuel here that's causing the popping...

You can try to lean out the 0 column, sometime it work. But popping might be something you need to deal with. Usually it popping because your dumping gaz in the exhaust on deceleration. Just lean her out where it pop, do it a little step at the time.

OK now I get it, The popping is a sign of a enriched condition. I thought I read somewhere about it being a lean problem. I am not concerned about a little too rich I can adjust that out. The juicebox just adds fuel it can't take any away according to Two Brothers. I added to the mid range on their field techs advice I will put it back to the original setup and see.
Thanks for the info.

Haven't got that far yet I have just plugged it at the Airbox.
I am going to install plates when I pull the plugs.

Backfires are an indication of a misfire. The misfire can be caused by either rich or lean fueling. It takes raw fuel, unburned oxygen and a source of ignition to get it to happen.

Beast

Backfires are an indication of a misfire. The misfire can be caused by either rich or lean fueling. It takes raw fuel, unburned oxygen and a source of ignition to get it to happen.

Beast

Since its waste spark, every time the piston is at TDC (1-4 & 2-3 together) it fire up in compression & exhaust. The injector might be sequential, but I don't think ignition is. So, if there's unburn fuel... pop pop pop :wow:

Since its waste spark, every time the piston is at TDC (1-4 & 2-3 together) it fire up in compression & exhaust. The injector might be sequential, but I don't think ignition is. So, if there's unburn fuel... pop pop pop :wow:

I just looked at the wiring diagram and there are 4 separate wires for the ignition coils and four wires for the injectors coming from the ECU. It is very unlikely that these bikes are wasted spark. My bet is full sequential on both ignition and fueling.

Beast

I have done Graves velocity stacks, Lars air box mod, K&N filter, TBR Juicebox, TBR VALE slip on, Flies mod and AIS block off (at the air box only) I am popping on decel at speeds below 4500 rpm. The bike is running very strong at 0-4500 rpm at least according to what I have read from other posts that decry the low to mid range performance of the Gen II FZ1. I rode for 130 miles and am pleased as punch with the overall performance of the bike just want to make sure I am not missing something or running a too lean condition. Will pull the plugs and check before I ride again as winter has returned to Utah anyways. Any ideas?

Need Help! i have a 2006 FZ1 im doing the AIS block off at the airbox, i have removed the AIS hose and plugged the airbox...stupid question..what do i do with the hose? with bike running its still pumping air and is noisy...please help!

Need Help! i have a 2006 FZ1 im doing the AIS block off at the airbox, i have removed the AIS hose and plugged the airbox...stupid question..what do i do with the hose? with bike running its still pumping air and is noisy...please help!

You just block the hose, I shoved a marble in mine. Some people use a short wood dowel or just shove a bolt in the hose.

Fast forward video to the 5:40 mark and it shows the hose being plugged with a dowel. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpobkmydRY&feature=player_embedded"]FZ1 Video Tutorials - PC3, Airbox Mod and AIS Blocking - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back