PCV with Auto Tune

I don't know much about it either and I was interested in it when I bought my PCV, but my tuner in sydney (he also tuned Ballmeads bike) said it was a waste of time.
I liked the idea of what it does too though!

Maybe it would be good for fine tuning after a session of tuning on a dyno by a good tuner???

I'm not too tech savvy but I like the idea of continuously modifying the tune. After all our cars do that. A map is all good but what about changes in altitude and air pressure? Like I said I'm not that tech savvy so maybe I'm all wrong on this, will the O2 sensor account for this?

It sounds like an awesome idea but whether or not it works in the real world is debatable.
I know that a certain Kawasaki lover on my forum loves using it on his track bike.
Personally I just went the proven route with a custom tune.

Sent from my SG3

I don't know much about it either and I was interested in it when I bought my PCV, but my tuner in Sydney (he also tuned Ballmeads bike) said it was a waste of time.
I liked the idea of what it does too though!

Maybe it would be good for fine tuning after a session of tuning on a dyno by a good tuner???

But your tuner also has a vested interest. If they work well, we only need him to confirm our power output not to tune. That is why I'm asking if anyone actually has one fitted. Not being disrespectful just thinking.

But your tuner also has a vested interest. If they work well, we only need him to confirm our power output not to tune. That is why I'm asking if anyone actually has one fitted. Not being disrespectful just thinking.

Thats true Blanchy, but with such a highly strung engine I would not be game to just stick it on and let it go. I was thinking about that setup before I bought my PCV, but I was still going to get it tuned and then let the auto tune do its fine tuning as I rode.
I still like the idea of the auto tune to keep the AFR in the optimal band with an O2 sensor providing the closed loop feedback, just like the 'old Autronic engine management system I fitted to my VL Turbo (1986 3ltr 6cyl turbo engine) a few years back, and just like all modern EFI engines do today.

Further to that, I would prefer to use the auto tune to keep the AFR in the right spot with the custom tune to give it the right base line.

The other thing is, the manufacturer of the power commander in the US have thought about the whole pricing situation for Australia and have managed to get the retailers here to sell them for a reasonable price. Which means you wont save much by buying one from the US. Plus you need to buy it here to get warranty coverage, which I thought was worth it.
Plus the same resellers here will usually give you a good deal for the tuning if you buy the PC off them.

I run the autotune 100% of the time on the FZ1. I run some sort of closed loop tuning on all of the motors I tune. The people that are advising customers to not run CL simply have not watched and logged enough motors running day after day in real world conditions.

Andy

I run the autotune 100% of the time on the FZ1. I run some sort of closed loop tuning on all of the motors I tune. The people that are advising customers to not run CL simply have not watched and logged enough motors running day after day in real world conditions.

Andy

After playing around (at an amateur enthusiast level) with cars and EFI, turbo's etc... it baffles me that these highly tuned bike engines don't run a closed loop feedback system!!!

After playing around (at an amateur enthusiast level) with cars and EFI, turbo's etc... it baffles me that these highly tuned bike engines don't run a closed loop feedback system!!!

The only way to tune EFI is with continuous feedback to the data loggers. Weather tuning is done automatically with closed loop feedback to the ECU or done offline with data analysis software is a little debatable.

Not using data loggers makes tuning impossible. Using a dyno to do this is simply a very expensive form of data logging. My friends in pro racing spend millions of dollars a year in the dyno room. Most of that money goes to attempting to simulate the data they get off the track data loggers. I simply just use the track/street data and skip the million dollar dyno.

I have one friend that ran the EPA dyno in Denver for years. I was worth something like 8 million.

Andy

Andy

Beast show me how to use Autotune to is full capacity using the LCD-200 and Data logger. Work great!!!

I just finish to help a friend of mine tune his FZ8. He did the R1 cams swap with TB slip-on. We did the tune together, basically riding the bike and emailing me the updated map/trim with the data. After about 2 weeks the map was done. He went to the dyno yesterday. Bike stock is about 89 HP. With the decat TB exhaust alone made it 94 last year. I peaked at 107HP with 55 ft.lb of torque. That's prety much a bone stock R6 with more torque... give & take!

But the most important is the dyno tech ask my friend who did the map, that thing is great!

So Autotune work great!

Back