PC3/Velocity stacks Mapping

i had a PC3 with dyno map installed following my upgrades (listed in signature).
I hear Graves velocity stacks will improve mid range performance but will i need to have a new map after doing this mod.

I am sure of this but do not have any map to point you to at this time. I have the PCV and am running the whittlebeast Stage III smoothed map. I have now gutted the CAT as well as just installed the Graves velocity stacks. After letting the bike warm up, I gave it a few steady rolls and then a couple of quick WOT blips. (Still in winter mode so no road trials yet). I already know that I will need to work on the map because the mid-range areas that the stacks are supposed to help with fell flat on the WOT test... The bike simply bogged and couldn't keep up in the same RPM range. It happens to fall in the meat of where we commute/ride. So, I'm already on the hunt for the right map.

As with you, I have no CAT, K&N filter, airbox mod, AIS removed, modded flies, slip-on exhaust, and velocity stacks.

What we *really* need to do is take it in to be custom tuned as no map out there will be perfect based on temp, elevation, humidity and fuel.

In the interim, I intend to try the Stage IV perfection map from Whittlebeast or the Jondaddy82 map. Hearing a lot of good things about them.

The Graves site shows 2 maps for the stacks, 1 for thier slip on. Maybe compare thier map with what you are currently useing, see where its different.
Colbalt, my mods are very similar to yours with the exception of the stacks. Jondaddys map was/is quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
I agree the stacks should help the mid range. The WOT fuelling should not change unless you have made other mods like pipe or gutting the cat etc.

I agree the stacks should help the mid range. The WOT fuelling should not change unless you have made other mods like pipe or gutting the cat etc.

Perhaps I did not explain it correctly. At WOT, there is no issue, but going from idle to WOT, there's a huge flat spot before the RPM's go to 6k where it bogs down very bad. After that, the fueling picks up and the 7500+ RPM range responds properly. Does that make sense?

Slow roll makes it through that flat spot but it is sluggish in the 3500 - 5k range. I will take terdog's suggestion and compare maps as that is a great idea! Thanks!!

Short answer, yep you need to retune.

Mmmmm. wondering if its worth the dollar if this is the case.

Graves velocity stacks £115.00
Import duty and tax to Uk £25.00
Dyno remap £150.00
Total £ :jaw drop:

May have to discuss with the home finance director to see if she will allow me this over indulgence :embarrased:

Perhaps I did not explain it correctly. At WOT, there is no issue, but going from idle to WOT, there's a huge flat spot before the RPM's go to 6k where it bogs down very bad. After that, the fueling picks up and the 7500+ RPM range responds properly. Does that make sense?

Slow roll makes it through that flat spot but it is sluggish in the 3500 - 5k range. I will take terdog's suggestion and compare maps as that is a great idea! Thanks!!

Understood, likely the gutted cat and pipe has created a lean spot and bog but nothing to do with the velocity stacks

Understood, likely the gutted cat and pipe has created a lean spot and bog but nothing to do with the velocity stacks

Actually is ran great before the stacks and I knew the map would need to be changed. Before the stacks, I was running whittlebeast's smoothed stage III with great results.

I downloaded the Graves map for their slip-on, velocity stacks and air-filter so I'm going to start with that one. ;)

My wife, Michele, is an Excel Guru. She was able to, in a couple minutes, put in my existing map on sheet one, the Graves Stacks map on sheet two and on sheet three, show the differences between the two. The area on the map where the bike dies when you whack the throttle is far too rich, it appears. A lot of fuel is removed in the Graves Stacks map.

More to come... I'm looking for a local Dynojet tuner to check costs for a custom tune vs. buying the autotune.

Has anyone here bought the Wideband2 with LCD for the PCV yet? I found it for $399 at Surfside Moto.... hmmmm....

This or $250 for a custom map and done with it until another change occurs? If I buy headers, then it's another $250 custom tune and that puts me over the cost of the WB2.... what would YOU all do? ;)

Another thought... If I just go buy the headers, install them and get it tuned for $250 then I'm done right? I mean, what else could I need/do to change that map down the road?

LARS - Check
K&N - Check
AIS delete - Check
Modded flies - Check
Arrow Headers - Check
Two Bros can - Check

At that point, I don't think I'd change anything... maybe a different slip-on down the road but that will not change the map requirements.

Arrow headers are $460 at Motovationusa. Hmmmmm....... ;) I can always try the Graves FULL map and see if that matches up. It looks like it removes a lot of fuel in the lower end where I am bogged now without a header and need to re-map anyway. The Graves slip-on/Stacks map also removes a lot of fuel there too.

I think I'd still take it to get a custom map regardless but one of those two should suffice to get me to the shop. ;)

Decisions..... :D

I'm running the Arrow header, slip-on , airbox, flies pretty much the same set up your looking at. The Duke/Papa Geno map runs real good in my bike.

This map........... http://www.998cc.org/forum/125210-post18.html Think all I did was fool with the idle area of the map 1000-1500rpm

Edit: I think I also enabled the accelerator pump thing in the PCV and have it set to add 15% fuel at 80% throttle. Basically it just adds a +15% squirt of fuel with rapid throttle openings over 80% throttle. Cured a slight bog I had when quickly slamming the throttle open.

Last edited:
I'm running the Arrow header, slip-on , airbox, flies pretty much the same set up your looking at. The Duke/Papa Geno map runs real good in my bike.

This map........... http://www.998cc.org/forum/125210-post18.html Think all I did was fool with the idle area of the map 1000-1500rpm

Edit: I think I also enabled the accelerator pump thing in the PCV and have it set to add 15% fuel at 80% throttle. Basically it just adds a +15% squirt of fuel with rapid throttle openings over 80% throttle. Cured a slight bog I had when quickly slamming the throttle open.

That is great! Good to know that this is an option for me to fall on. What I will do is, once the Dyno is done, share that map with Duken, whittlebeast and this forum in hopes that it will help someone. I will be interested in seeing the differences that Andy comes up with if he runs it through his smooth Excel formula. :tup:

I think this will be the end of the performance mods but I still want one more suspension mod, that being the AK-20 Golds from Traxxion. I'd love to send my forks to Lee and have them fine-tune them for me and me alone.

A lot of cash to dump into one bike? Yes, but I don't think I'll get rid of her ever. I might add a bike, but nothing can replace my FZ1. ;)

Back