Oil Leak

So i just bought my 2001 fz1 last week and i'm in love with it. Decided to change the oil today since it's been raining all week and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow. Only problem I had changing the oil was getting the filter off, didn't have a filter wrench so of course i jammed a screwdriver through it.. bad idea.
Didn't realize it til i started it but i pushed the driver too far through and hit whatever was behind it, breaking a seal. I think it was the oil pump. Anyway it was spitting alot of oil out when running. Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/images/R1engine.jpg

If you look in the picture I would have pushed the screwdriver in from the right side and it went all the way through and hit the thing with the big gold bolt head

Last edited:
Try pulling your filter off again. Sometimes the seal from your old filter will stay on the engine, then you screw on a new filter that already has a seal on it causing an oil leak. So basically just check to see if you have two seals stacked. If you havnt thrown your old filter away yet just take a look at it and see if the seal is still there. I doubt you did any damage with the screwdriver.

Same Oil Leak

Seems like I just did the same thing today. I pushed through the stuck oil filter into a hose behind the filter. Did not realize until the serious leak when I started it.

What did you figure out? Did you find a schematic that showed you what part was damaged?

Thanks,

Clayton

Bloody Hell! some of you blokes are rough mechanic`s:spank2:

So i just bought my 2001 fz1 last week and i'm in love with it. Decided to change the oil today since it's been raining all week and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow. Only problem I had changing the oil was getting the filter off, didn't have a filter wrench so of course i jammed a screwdriver through it.. bad idea.
Didn't realize it til i started it but i pushed the driver too far through and hit whatever was behind it, breaking a seal. I think it was the oil pump. Anyway it was spitting alot of oil out when running. Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/images/R1engine.jpg

If you look in the picture I would have pushed the screwdriver in from the right side and it went all the way through and hit the thing with the big gold bolt head

Seems like I just did the same thing today. I pushed through the stuck oil filter into a hose behind the filter. Did not realize until the serious leak when I started it.

What did you figure out? Did you find a schematic that showed you what part was damaged?

Thanks,

Clayton

Had a shop fix it... it was the oil cooler, punched a hole in it and it was shot. bought a filter wrench when i paid the bill, wish I would have done that in the first place, would have saved me 300 bucks.

Had a shop fix it... it was the oil cooler, punched a hole in it and it was shot. bought a filter wrench when i paid the bill, wish I would have done that in the first place, would have saved me 300 bucks.

At least you have your bike back and you won't have that issue again! Glad to hear it

Back