New Owner 06 FZ1, FCE, Slip on, PC3, Airbox mod and K&N - map recommendation?

chruisser

Hey guys, I recently picked up an 06 FZ1 out in PA. (I live in NJ). The bike was mostly stock other than a K&N filter and some holes drilled in the airbox. It also has the Yamaha performance slip-on.

When I was test riding the bike, I noticed the throttle hesitation/snatch and quickly found that Ivan's FCE would take care of it. So I ordered it and installed it before the bike was even registered. It definitely helped a lot.

My question is, I'm awaiting delivery of a PC3. My hopes are to find a map for these mods that will smoothen it out. While riding into NYC the other night I let off the throttle at about 8k and jumped back on, and noticed hesitation. Granted the bike was hot ~212' which may have exemplified the problem, but it was noticeable.

So with the GYTR Slip-on
PC3
K&N filter and airbox mod
FCE
02 Sensor Eliminator - on its way.

What would you recommend as a good map? Any experience on this year with these mods?

a lot of the maps I see show gutted cat, which I'm not overly fond of doing.

Disclaimer - I apologize if this topic has been covered, I tried searching and there wasn't any definitive answer on exactly this question that I could find. I've downloaded Duke's maps and was planning on playing around with those, but I thought I'd ask as well. First post flame!

I have to say I love the bike. I had a vulcan 1500 I recently sold, and purchased a new 06 R6' back in 05. Loved the bike and 17k redline, but hated the lag of the 600. This 1000 boogies! I also come from a motorcross/harescramble background. I ride a 11' Husky WR300 (2 stroke plated) and a few years ago had an Aprilia SXV550. I'm very happy with my purchase so far and the FZ's 'total package'. Minus the few quirks which I'm hoping to iron out, I plan on having this bike for a LONG time.

Cheers

Just have the ECU reprogrammed or Flashed if you like. If you have Ivan do it, he will provide you a good PC3 map with his flash.

Hi and welcome
As loosenut says ivans flash seems to be the deal ,, I have an 06 too and for me I just played with some maps from dyno jet till I found one that works nice with reasonable fuel consumption ,, I don't have an fce but do have a later ecu fitted witch helps, some days depending on air temp I find the throttle more jerky than others , If I'm honest I find it annoying you have to do these mods to correct something that should be right in the first place ,,

Thanks guys. I didn't realize Ivan was so close to my house. ~45 min ride. I'll give him a shout when the open back up in 2 weeks. Thanks for the suggestions. I feel the same way - there should have been a recall or some other fix offered by Yamaha. Big difference from the auto industry...

Definitely get Ivan's flash, it will transform your bike.
I'm very happy with mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

since you're in jersey go hit up Rockland County Motorcycle it's right up the road a bit. get a custom fuel map along with an ecu flash and your bike will be properly sorted. get a fuel map made on a dyno, canned maps are not, almost never, good enough

since you're in jersey go hit up Rockland County Motorcycle it's right up the road a bit. get a custom fuel map along with an ecu flash and your bike will be properly sorted. get a fuel map made on a dyno, canned maps are not, almost never, good enough

^^^^^ Do this. ^^^^^

Get the ECU flash and then the custom Dyno tune. I strongly second that.

Back