Joined today, Folks. Traded my '08 FZ6 in on my new 2011 FZ1. Both great bikes. Very happy with my new ride. Gotta read up now on FZ1 particulars.

See you on Campus!!!

Welcome. Happy to have you. Congrats on the upgrade. I almost got the FZ6, but at my excessive weight, I'm glad I started with the FZ1.

If I remember correctly, the 2011 is silver only. Let's see some pictures of the new ride and some of the old FZ6 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome: and congrats on the upgrade! If you were on the sister FZ6 site then you'll recognize some names over here. :D

You've got questions, we've got answers! Ride safe!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, I was a FZ6 member.

Still lighting the candle on the new FZ1 ride. Different from the 6, but certainly has a more solid ride and handling. The power increase is, of course, there. I think the FZ1 handles easier/better than the 6.

One item that shocked me was my insurance through Progressive 2X's!!! I expected an increase with a new bike, but not that much. I have a clean driving record.

Checking the insurance out. Some Insurance companies classify the 1 as a sport bike, others as a street-touring.

Still lighting the candle on the new FZ1 ride. Different from the 6, but certainly has a more solid ride and handling. The power increase is, of course, there. I think the FZ1 handles easier/better than the 6.

One item that shocked me was my insurance through Progressive 2X's!!! I expected an increase with a new bike, but not that much. I have a clean driving record.

Checking the insurance out. Some Insurance companies classify the 1 as a sport bike, others as a street-touring.

As far as insurance goes for the FZ1, when I was looking, Progressive was decent and Geico was 3x's Progressive. At that point, Flo had my business. The gecko can bite me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as insurance goes for the FZ1, when I was looking, Progressive was decent and Geico was 3x's Progressive. At that point, Flo had my business. The gecko can bite me.

I also got the best deal through Progressive. They don't classify the FZ1 a sport bike. I actually pay more for my '97 YZF1000 (with liability only) than I do for my '06 FZ1 (with comprehensive, but no collision)...go figure. All has to do with how they are classified.

Anyway the FZ1 is a lot more fun than the FZ6 so just enjoy it ;)

Many thanks for the input for comparison on Insurance. Guess I'll just need to pay it. It is what it is.

Nice Spring day. I'll burn fossil fuel this afternoon!

See you on Campus!

I'm always amazed how cheap insurance is in the USA. I guess it's a highly-populated place and a market driven by competition so it makes sense

We have an insurance institution here and it's mandatory. I pay about $700 a year for the SV and $220 a year for the FZ600. The FZ1 was about about $950 a year. That's just basic insurance with some third-party liability. Theft, accident, fire and etc costs extra. If you get it through our institution, it's nearly double the cost. Thankfully, there is competition out there for private additional coverage and I have it on the SV for $325 a year

Last edited:
Welcome (to a Goldmine of information)

Mr. Templar! Enjoy the new ride, then open the checkbook and start the modding process!! Now, the fun begins . . . :woot:

He is right. 1st owner of my 08 did the mods I would have picked(then from 08 to 2/11/12, the 2nd owner rarely ever rode the thing).

Post some photos. If I ever buy another bike, it would just be a brand new FZ1. I am 6'1" and this Yamaha just feels RIGHT.

Be safe out there. :unworthy:

Back