new member from northern california

Hello to all. Looking to get an FZ1 as a second commuter bike. I currently ride a 2007 CBR600rr monstly out in the twisties on the weekends. I will be doing an hour to commute to work each way beginning later this month so I have been looking around for a second bike to do the commuting duty. I like the FZ1 but have yet to ride one. Currently looking at the '06+ since I want the inverted suspension and fuel injection

Any hints that will help my search would be much appreciated. For now, here is a picture of my current bike to hold you over...

2012-07-13171932.jpg

but for real, you may not want a 06 as there some problems that need to be fixed read about throttle snap or something like that.

the carb FZ1's get better millage. hard to believe but true.
if you must get a fi model, get a 08 or newer as the problem was fixed by then i think.

only real deal with the forks right side up or inverted is un-sprung ver sprung weight. both ways handle about the same and better when set up for the rider and how they ride.
and the first gen (05 and older) have a far better seat from the factory. than the second gen (06 and newer) if you want to do longer than 100 miles.

but no mater all are great all around bikes. great in the twistys and (from what i have heard) work great with hard bags and cross country trips.

there are a number of forums devoted to this bike. lots of good info.

packnrat

I've got an '08....mileage wise, I've gotten 18 (track day) to 45+ in Montana during a 3000 mile trip. It all depends on how you treat that little grip on the right side! A buddy has a CBR600, and my track bike is a Gixxer 600, and the FZ is WAY WAY more comfortable!!! For the price you can get a used one, its a GREAT bike! Good Luck!

Thanks guys. Im on the way to look at an 08 off Craigslist as we speak. Good to head the throttle issue was solved from the 06, so that's a good sign

I'll let you Guys know if Im a new fz1 owner by the end of the day!

Welcome to the club! The FZ1 would be a nice change of pace to compliment your CBR. Make sure to post up some shots of the new ride if all goes well. Oh, by the way, how long have you been working for Hooters? And I hope you "gear up" for the ride to work and back!:tup:

Welcome to the club! The FZ1 would be a nice change of pace to compliment your CBR. Make sure to post up some shots of the new ride if all goes well. Oh, by the way, how long have you been working for Hooters? And I hope you "gear up" for the ride to work and back!:tup:

I think you already knew I was the one photographing Brittany on my bike and that it's not actually me in the photo right?

well, the purchase on Craigslist went well, here is what I came back with:

26k miles
couple of scratches but I'm not worried since I will be putting a good chunk of miles on myself, and with mileage comes wear and tear.

2012-07-18163930.jpg

Looks like a good find, I really like mine, I have an 06 Retro that has been modded for mid range power.
I am originally from NorCal born in Hayward raised in Fremont, I spent a little time in Pleasanton as well.
Have fun on your new bike and welcome to the forum.

Had to snap that quick pic before I left town for a week in Vegas. Trust me, as much fun as Vegas will be Im itching to get back and actually get to ride the thing

crazy small world. Pleasanton is not fifteen minutes from my house in Danville

Loved the area spent a lot of time down at the Alameda Creek and at Shadow Cliffs park as a teen. I had my first real job as a summer worker at the Alameda County fairgrounds maintenance department. I learned how to drive on one of those jeeps they used to pull the tram shuttles with.
Have fun on the FZ...

Back