New FZ6 owner already considering trade

troyw

Hello,

Just about a month and a half ago I traded my prized Honda VTX 1800 C for a new 2008 FZ6. I wanted something not uncomfortable, but sporting, and that didn't weigh almost 800 lbs. I got an even trade, but really did want the FZ1 they had there. Ah well. I figured the FZ6 would still be great. It seems I may have been very wrong, and I'm looking for advice from seasoned FZ1 owners & maybe some newbies too.
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like with the FZ6, but what I'm already having to do is suspension work up front, I need a seat, and the bars are awful and have created a very uncomfortable ride all the way around. On Friday after work, I went and ordered a set of FZ1 bars after sitting on an FZ1 they have left there at my local dealer. It was on its center stand, so I did get a fairly accurate feeling of how it would be. I noticed that the seat fits me much better, as do the bars. I'm also horrified at the bargain bin nature of the suspension on the FZ6 the more I get into it. The suspension on the FZ1 is far superior, and fully adjustable, as you all know. So, it could be that the FZ1 bars make a difference on the FZ6, but then there's money still needed to be spent bringing the forks in line, a seat, grips, maybe a rear shock or at least a spring and revalving, etc. So you folks think I'd be better off just going and taking a hit financially and trade the FZ6 and go get the FZ1 I should have got in the first place?

Thanks,
Troy

So many different avenues.....and I'm a Gen I owner, so if info is wrong please correct :)

Bars: Gen II bars would make a bit more forward position w/o having to sacrifice a full on sportbike position where the weight can be carried by your wrists.

SV650 risers can be another alternative to replace the current risers to get a bit more of a forward/lower position instead of being more upright (FZ6/FZ1).

As for suspension -- methinks that the consensus of the Gen II rear shock is no good. It cannot be serviced by others (Traxxion/RaceTech/Company of your choosing) Some have opted for an R1 shock to replace, but I don't have any idea what years fit, and it is a tight fit at that. The R1 shock is a cheaper means to obtain a workable shock and rebuilding can be from 200-300.00 depending upon how you go (from Traxxion) Other alternative is to buy aftermarket. Ohlins -- over 1k and Penske have shocks that can be from 800-1400 (ballpark).

As for the Front shock, I've seem to have read that one fork controls compression and the other is for rebound and not like the previous Gen I where each leg of the for controls both compression/rebound.

Replacing the springs to your correct size (weight) and riding style can be from 300-400.00. And each company may have their own special setup to sell to increase overall performance (that can bring the price around 1k). Word on the street (and it is who I've used and about to use again) Traxxion Dynamics is a pretty good bang for the buck. Very knowledgeable and service oriented.

I've only been truly riding for about a year, and I should of listened to some of my fellow board members, but do the suspension upgrades FIRST! The rest of the mods will follow.

It is unfortunate (but it is also how businesses make $$) that better components don't come already installed on the consumer bikes we purchase. You'll know for next time....and also look at buying used from others who may have already done some of the work for you. Depending upon the situation, you can sometimes find a bike, well maintained, with alot of the things you might already be looking to do and it then just becomes options, sometimes for over 1/2 of what you would expect to pay if you were to buy new.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forum!

BroHay

Last edited:
Oh, I was on the same fence for starting out small or having something to grow into. I opted for the second and I'm really glad I did. With the finishing touches, I'm ear to ear grin whenever I'm riding on the twisties or doing the daily commute to work.

Adam

I've read a lot pf reviews that were very positive on the FZ1 suspension.
Fulyl adjustable is also key here, as I remember from a 2001 YZF600r I had in that year. The stock suspension was pretty good for me. I've already got springs and new fork oil in the FZ6, and it showed a bit of improvement, but far from there. Both ends still need some pretty significant work, plus I can't effectively lower the bike with the rear shock being linkless. Sure, I can get a HyperPro lowering spring, but those cost some good money, then there's installation that I can't do myself, and on it goes. I guess I just didn't research it enough, and assumed there'd be great parts for it since it's a 600cc sportbike of sorts. I was wrong on that count too.
The risers on the FZ6 are part of the triple tree top, molded right in. Can't replace them. Another thing that really irked me. All I can do is try different bars, and if none work, I'm out of luck and uncomfortable.
I'd expect to mod the FZ1 too, just not have to do quite so much right out of the gate. Seems I'd spend almost as much as just getting into an 08' FZ1 and putting a lowering link on it and raising the forks in the triple trees as I would trying to buy stuff for the FZ6.

I thought about the getting the FZ1 because of that growing into it factor too. I was penny wise and pound foolish. If I do it now, I'll be losing pretty bad. Wasted time and money. Not that the FZ6 is a weak motor, because it isn't. It'd run circles around the VTX 1800 I had just prior to that. I'm not sure I'd outgrow the FZ6 motor, per se. I'm a small guy at 130 lbs. and 5' 6" tall. It's the other stuff that concerns me.

I don't know...

- T.

Last edited:
Hit the sister FZ6 site (under Site Navigation on Homepage) and I'm sure you could spend sometime reasearching there and come up with solutions that have already been put to the test instead of being the guinea pig, if you decide to stay with the FZ6.

I'm offering my opinion on two bikes that I don't know as much about as I do the Gen I FZ other than what I've read when thinking of going to a different ride. (so far the only one that has me thinking in that direction is the Daytona 675) Maybe a future stable mate, who knows....best of luck!

Adam

I'm already a member in the FZ6 forum. That's how I got the info to start doing the mods I've already done, and the ones I'd have to do to make the bike up to my standards. I bought the FZ6 because of budget reasons only. I usually do my homework, but I didn't this time, at least not enough. Looks like I may have to spend almost as much on mods for the 6 as I would just making up the difference on the 1. I could be wrong there, but that's how it looks. Seats are more expensive, pipes are a lot more, etc. for the 6 than they are for the 1. Only about 30 lbs. separates the two models too. The dealer gave me different info, and when I realized my error, I started looking much deeper into it, and with the discomfort I'm feeling on the 6, I got that sinking feeling that I'd made a bad mistake. Maybe not, but so far I'd rather have my 760 lb. elephant VTX 1800 back than spend another day on this bike. It's nice to look at in the garage though...LOL.

Lots of Gen 1 FZ owners here. Don't you guys like the new one better? I think it's much improved. I'm figuring out that carbs are a bit easier though. Fuel injection can be tricky when doing mods, and lots of money to be spent there with the Power Commander. Comes with the territory of mods though. Just that carbs are a bit easier in some ways.;)

Well, instead of sinking 9-10k into a bike. I opted for something a bit lighter on the wallet. Plus, what you spend for mods on the Gen II, Gen I (if you wait long enough and are patient) can get smoking deals.

Gilles rearset -- normally 500+ (slightly rashed on left peg only 150.00)
Jet Kit --150.00 new (20.00 b/c they had laying around)

I'm already in the dog house with modding, if it were new, I'd be out on the street....

There is light at the end of the tunnel -- if it comes to it -- sell present mods in exchange for stock, recoup some $$ to make the hit if you upgrade a tad easier to swallow.

Adam

Hey Adam,

Yeah, that sounds like it might be a good plan. I just bought the Power Commander 3 weeks ago, if that. It's super easy to uninstall. One good thing I've noted about the FZ6 is that it's easy to work on. The fork springs have been in only about 2 weeks, and that's easy to take them out. Cat eliminator mid-pipe, well, I'll leave that on. That was actually tough because of the undertail. But, yeah, I'm finding it hard to believe I can only get five bucks for a bike that cost me $7k not even 2 months ago. Even metric cruisers don't depreciate THAT badly.

- T.

There are a thousand reasons any of us buy a particular bike. Some we are conscious of and some we are not. And, of course, there are parameters such as price that we can't control, but may have an impact on what we end up buying. Some bikes end up growing on you when you didn't think they would and some get outgrown quickly because they never quite become what was expected. If you keep the 6 for a few weeks, you may find that a few simple and relatively cheap changes do the trick for you. One thing I learned about twenty years ago was you pay to play and you're not going to be a motorcyclist who is happy with his steed cheaply. If I'm not happy with a bike, I trade and whatever it costs me I just chalk up to the price of riding.

For me, I was fortunate to not have the experience that troyw is having. I just am wondering if I stop and look at something newer, or spend the time and hunt for the last few "big ticket" (ohlins front/rear and Marchesi (sp?) rims.....) items and be more than happy with the FZ. But a Daytona 675 is just callin' me to the other side.....must resist!

Adam

Troy, you look to be a large size fella like me, and the 6, while fun and a hoot may become tamed in short order. Theres so many guys that fall in th the money pit, and still don't have what they want. If you want the FZ1, then thats what I would work towords, and stop spending on trying to make the 6 something it 'aint. Personally, were I to have x amount of bucks in hand, or the ability to sign on the dotted line, I'd go for a FZ1, and it would be a low mileage Generation 1 model. However one thing to keep in mind there is that the GEN. 2 has more possabilities for modification in reguard to carbon fiber, billit, and bling stuff. But I feel like the Gen 1 is a quicker, faster bike. And while the Gen2 looks way sweet, I also like the look of the last Gen 1's ie. 05. But at any rate, if you can be in love with the 6, then by all means keep tricking it out, but if the destination is an FZ1 then stop the money pit and work on getting one, after all it's perfect timing right now with the economy being a buyers market to be sure.:tup:
Ps. Troy, I think you'll be suprised how well the FZ1 handels in stock mode, with just new tires......yupper

Last edited:
Troy, FZ1 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher tech than the FZ6, not even looking at the horsepower, although the stock FZ1 bars are like butter (switched mine out for YZ dirt bars, bent them in an easy crash).

The FZ1 is right behind the R1, in terms of off the shelf quality, but the FZ6 is way behind the r6, and in every way. FZ6 is a great bike for a rider just jumping off a beater bike.

For you, FZ1 would be an excellent choice. Still have to do mods to get it set up the way you want, though. But once you clean it up, yo' have a bike.

Troy, FZ1 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher tech than the FZ6, not even looking at the horsepower, although the stock FZ1 bars are like butter (switched mine out for YZ dirt bars, bent them in an easy crash).

The FZ1 is right behind the R1, in terms of off the shelf quality, but the FZ6 is way behind the r6, and in every way. FZ6 is a great bike for a rider just jumping off a beater bike.

For you, FZ1 would be an excellent choice. Still have to do mods to get it set up the way you want, though. But once you clean it up, yo' have a bike.

Troy, you look to be a large size fella like me, and the 6, while fun and a hoot may become tamed in short order. Theres so many guys that fall in th the money pit, and still don't have what they want. If you want the FZ1, then thats what I would work towords, and stop spending on trying to make the 6 something it 'aint. Personally, were I to have x amount of bucks in hand, or the ability to sign on the dotted line, I'd go for a FZ1, and it would be a low mileage Generation 1 model. However one thing to keep in mind there is that the GEN. 2 has more possabilities for modification in reguard to carbon fiber, billit, and bling stuff. But I feel like the Gen 1 is a quicker, faster bike. And while the Gen2 looks way sweet, I also like the look of the last Gen 1's ie. 05. But at any rate, if you can be in love with the 6, then by all means keep tricking it out, but if the destination is an FZ1 then stop the money pit and work on getting one, after all it's perfect timing right now with the economy being a buyers market to be sure.:tup:
Ps. Troy, I think you'll be suprised how well the FZ1 handels in stock mode, with just new tires......yupper

Guys look at the date of the original post. Since then Troy has already "upgraded" to an FZ1. I am sure if he sees this he'll post about his experience with it...

Guys look at the date of the original post. Since then Troy has already "upgraded" to an FZ1. I am sure if he sees this he'll post about his experience with it...

Thanks, hate it when I do that.

Gotta love jumping on a topic that is, shall we say, dated. But, regardless of the particular poster, this is a good issue for discussion. I suspect the reason you see a lot of FZ6's for sale and not as many FZ1's is the same reason you see a lot of V-Star 650's for sale and very few V-Star 1100/1300's: You outgrow those smaller bikes VERY quickly.

We were fortunate and bought a V* 1100 when we first got into motorcycling, and have ridden the heck out of it. So, when we moved from cruisers to standards, I am SO glad we went to the FZ1. This is a good topic, regardless of the freshness. Be wary of buying too small a bike, if you have any degree of experience, or are relatively large in size (like me), or if you master skills quickly.

New to the forum today

Didn't notice the original post but if it was fresh this is what I would have said. Anyway Hello and this my first post.

I also just purchased the candy red FZ1 with 0 miles today. Funny thing I traded the 06C90t that I had customized for a solo ride. I had set up the trade for a 09 FZ6r. But It just seemed it was too much of nothing. So I moved up to a 09 FZ6 but really wanted the FZ1 which fit me like a glove. I am 51 and have been on bikes since I was 8 and presently have 12 in my shop. I really wanted a Farrari not a Ford. So at the bank I just pulled the trigger for the FZ1. Glad I did I have been smiling all day. Mounds of power but all of it under control. All I can say is Niiiicccceeee. I have a light wieght polar suit and ran off about 150 miles today. I let it cool down a couple of times but awesome. The red and gold are real head turning colors. I am so glad I went with the bike I really wanted. It's not insane like the R6 and R1 as the retune brings more low end torque into play but still has a rush which I punched a few of times then backed off. (too new). The best part was that it was a crated repo. Some guy made the deal then packed out with bike not even out of the crate. I got it for 7599 otd and a bit to make up the C90T.
I hope this helps you make up your mind.:disturbed

Last edited:
Congrats!!

Didn't notice the original post but if it was fresh this is what I would have said. Anyway Hello and this my first post.

I also just purchased the candy red FZ1 with 0 miles today. Funny thing I traded the 06C90t that I had customized for a solo ride. I had set up the trade for a 09 FZ6r. But It just seemed it was too much of nothing. So I moved up to a 09 FZ6 but really wanted the FZ1 which fit me like a glove. I am 51 and have been on bikes since I was 8 and presently have 12 in my shop. I really wanted a Farrari not a Ford. So at the bank I just pulled the trigger for the FZ1. Glad I did I have been smiling all day. Mounds of power but all of it under control. All I can say is Niiiicccceeee. I have a light wieght polar suit and ran off about 150 miles today. I let it cool down a couple of times but awesome. The red and gold are real head turning colors. I am so glad I went with the bike I really wanted. It's not insane like the R6 and R1 as the retune brings more low end torque into play but still has a rush which I punched a few of times then backed off. (too new). The best part was that it was a crated repo. Some guy made the deal then packed out with bike not even out of the crate. I got it for 7599 otd and a bit to make up the C90T.
I hope this helps you make up your mind.:disturbed

I, am not far behind you age-wise and I love my 08. I liked both the Red and the Grey but the choice was made for me as the red was gone by the time I went to buy. They made me a good deal on the grey so I took it. The rest as they say is history. Welcome to the madness. :stirpot:

I, am not far behind you age-wise and I love my 08. I liked both the Red and the Grey but the choice was made for me as the red was gone by the time I went to buy. They made me a good deal on the grey so I took it. The rest as they say is history. Welcome to the madness. :stirpot:

Took it out again today and lazed around the canyons. This bike is very sure footed. I didn't take anything fast just deliberate getting my weight out there and letting the bike pick a line. Very nice. This 4 banger is about as smooth as it gets. Can't get the smile off my face. Nice thing about the red is the 2010 is the same color. Funny I pulled into Starbucks and there was a ton of screemin yeemies there. Got some great looks when granpa pulled off his grill protector. I say a little gray goes good with red.

Back