Needs Rings - Repair or Replace?

2 years ago I purchased a 2003 FZ1 for $2,500 with 54k (!) miles on it. It was still in good shape but had been laid down on a track somewhere, I figure from the safety wire. The title has a salvage on it. It’s definitely a bit of a beater and I like it that way, despite my mechanic’s recommendation to ‘Gucci it Out.” I’ve resolved to keep it (mostly) a ratbike. It’s got rattle-can black for paint.

Regular maintenance is a joy. That’s pretty much all I’m good for. I’m no grease-monkey, but I can handle the basics and a little bit more. I’ve laid it down once myself and fixed it up already.

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed, there are a lot of miles on the engine. The issue is that the bike is burning oil at a pretty high rate. A hard acceleration leaves a black cloud behind me, but it idles clean with no visible exhaust. I can get maybe 500-800 miles of hard riding before dropping another quart of 10w40 full synthetic in it. All signs point to worn piston rings. I suspect the cylinders are varnished enough to require a re-honing. The valves and/or valve guides are probably also worn. Ideally, it’s just about time for a new top end.

Even though I’ve got 62k miles (!) on the engine now, the engine runs really very smoothly, just purrs like a big jungle cat at idle with no chugging or coughing. I *still* get 140hp at the rear wheel per dyno testing after tune-up, which is pretty darn decent for this bike at this age. It still cold-starts reliably. I replaced the cam chain just last year. The bike is still something of a beast. I wouldn't mind repairing the old engine if it was inexpensive (less than $2k) but most shops around here won't even do the work.

Other things that need doing on the bike – the cam is beginning to show signs of wear, and the wiring (!) is getting old and iffy. It’s probably due for a new clutch as well. I don’t have a lot of money to throw at it right now, and it is my primary method of transportation 9 months out of the year. Once I get a new job I’ll be happy to continue the project but that feels like a ways off.
I really like the bike; I’ve done some minor modifications to it so it’s distinctive and mine. I’ve got some K&R cone filters on the carbs, put on some acceleration sprockets and a new chain, and some off-road handlebars. My dash console was destroyed when I laid it down and I put on a digital Koso gauge and added lights and windscreen from a Buell X12. The Yoshi exhaust has been repacked and shortened. My beat up old pipes have a harmonizer connection between hole 1 and 4. I can’t find anything like them here in CA. Also, some OEM parts for this bike aren’t being made any more and have to be found elsewhere. I’m a little bit old-school in that I still believe loud bikes save lives. The bike is now a bit of a puzzle for local riders and they know it’s mine, which is good. The tail fairing gives away its secret though. It’s got a great upright sport-touring riding position, much more comfortable than the 2nd-Gen FZs, and steel frame. There’s no fuel injection – as I said, I’m still a bit old school. I tell you this so you get a sense of why I’m invested in the bike.

With very limited financial resources, what would you recommend as the cheapest/best course of action? I don’t have the cash to throw it in the gutter and go buy another.

72605_469447339793435_1036074608_n.jpg

hmm.. black smoke is from unburnt gas, not oil.. or a combination of both

first do a compression and leak down test.. so you know where you are.

if compression is there an even on all cyl I would change the oil with a higher flash point 10w-50 and ride it till it dies .

welcome btw

Don't waste any more of your dough by throwing away expensive synthetic oil. Change your oil for some 20/50 or 10/40 MC Oil and it may last longer. If it's burning oil you'd see some bluish/white smoke, not black. Sounds like a carb adjustment and synching is due, as well as your EXUP Valve.

Have you changed the air filter and the spark plugs?

The K&N cone filters get cleaned regularly - I bought it without an airbox. While I kinda liked the cone filter look, it's a downgrade from the stock airbox. I just haven't done anything about it.

I changed the sparkers about 5k ago.

Today I disconnected my crankcase vent breather and routed it to a small white bottle, rode it for 25 miles and got what you see in the photo. As you can see, my oil level was a bit lower than full.

oillevelandbreather_zpsa10f9cad.jpg

Last edited:
ok.. so you get some wear on rings/cylinders
cheapest option is to build/buy an oil catch can and also use 10w50 or 15w50 oil, I believe you can ride at least 10-15 k like this before starting and power loss becomes a problem.

ok.. so you get some wear on rings/cylinders
cheapest option is to build/buy an oil catch can and also use 10w50 or 15w50 oil, I believe you can ride at least 10-15 k like this before starting and power loss becomes a problem.

I'd like to keep the bike.

I think I could get a donor engine for less than it would cost for the new top end. I can keep the old engine and repair it over time. Looks like that's the way I'm probably going to go with this.

Are there any other suggestions or options I'm not seeing?

I just picked up this 2005 engine with 12,800 miles on it. Guaranteed to run without smoking or knocking. There's no shipping to get it to me or to return it. Looks very much like a reputable shop. Their branch in Portland had 2 of what I needed.

From the photos it looks like they take good care of the used engines they pick up. They will provide paperwork on the engine. They ran a compression test for me and it came in at 230psi (cold) on every cylinder.

Right now, I like their service and would definitely recommend them as a parts source. Customer service was professional and I'm keeping up hopes that my good experience doesn't change to bad when the engine gets here.

2005 05 Yamaha FZ1 Engine Motor at LKQ MotorSports | eBay

LKQ Foster Auto Parts
10355 SE Foster Rd
Portland, OR 97266

I just picked up this 2005 engine with 12,800 miles on it. Guaranteed to run without smoking or knocking. There's no shipping to get it to me or to return it. Looks very much like a reputable shop. Their branch in Portland had 2 of what I needed.

From the photos it looks like they take good care of the used engines they pick up. They will provide paperwork on the engine. They ran a compression test for me and it came in at 230psi (cold) on every cylinder.

Right now, I like their service and would definitely recommend them as a parts source. Customer service was professional and I'm keeping up hopes that my good experience doesn't change to bad when the engine gets here.

2005 05 Yamaha FZ1 Engine Motor at LKQ MotorSports | eBay

LKQ Foster Auto Parts
10355 SE Foster Rd
Portland, OR 97266

WOW! That motor is a thing of beauty! I think your gonna be up and running in no time. And a black one to boot! A little black touch-up on the cases and you'll be good to go. I'd remove the AIS while the motor is out of the bike so you never have to mess with it again. Congrats on a good find!

Agree with the smoke. Black tends to be from too much gas - running too rich .... could be combined with oil though too.
It's burning some oil - but not a lot. The harder you ride it, the more it will burn.
The old cars used to burn oil - normally. My first used MG used about a quart every 500 miles. Was consider OK.
Even the new cars specify oil usage as high as around 500 miles a quart as being "normal'. At least that is what you hear when you buy a new car and take it to a dealer complaining of oil usage being too high. They will show you the book. Each engine - coming out of production - is different. Some come out brand new, using some oil. And it is normal. Most don't though, of course.
Oil usage numbers are not usually given in owners manuals - for that reason. It is highly variable and the car companies don't want people complaining about a few higher usage cars.

But it's not a big deal.

Until the oil starts fouling your plugs - it should be good. And even then, it's only kinda bad because your plugs are getting messed up and you have to clean them...
And then there is the expense of burning oil. - buying the oil - but that is not a big deal either.

It sounds like a good old friend that'll take you around a lot longer ... if you want it too.

Those compression numbers are a bit suspect to me (high) and if they are in fact true, it would tell me that rings and valves are OK. I'd just ride the thing and do regular maintenance as equired. 183.5 is the compression suggested in the Gen II manual so your are actually on the high side (236.1 max). I'm assuming the GenI numbers are darned close. Anyway, as already said, your exhaust may simply be showing signs of a rich mixture but your oil is going somewhere. My own bike is almost five years old, although it has far less miles and I go through about 1/2 qt. ever 3000 miles. I'll bet you could ride yours another 10-15,000 miles without needing any significant repairs.

Back