Need help with the R1 wheel conversion and what bearing kit to buy? R1 or FZ1

Hi everyone, longtime no see!
thumbup.gif

I haven't been on the forum in years. But I've had (6) FZ models and still have two...FZ1 09' and a FZ10 17'

My question relates to the R1 wheels and the Gen2 wheels and what's really different about them other than colors? I think these wheels are I identical except for a carrier bearing and (1) spacer. I'm also not sure that the carrier is actually different...meaning is the R1 carrier narrower than the FZ1's? Has anyone ever had both of these wheels apart and measured all these components? The carrier bearing and (1) spacer have different part numbers, but I'm pretty sure that the first 3 digits tell the model and it's the center (5) part numbers that really matter? I'm pretty sure the rear axle is also the same, but it shows the first (3) digits as being different. I'm just getting ready to replace all the bearings on (2) R1 wheels I bought for track days. The question is are they R1 wheels or just wheels that fit both bike models R1/FZ1 Gen2 with a few parts being different to line up the sprockets and chain. I'm no mechanic, but I like my stuff done right and can ask a lot of questions sometimes.
hoplol.gif
I don't know if the carrier is actually different other than the bearing for the sprocket carrier. The other (2) bearings are the exact same part number. Thanks for your help. Happy Riding!

The R1 sprocket carrier is slightly narrower than the FZ1 presumably due to the difference in the R1 frame and swingarm. The R1 wheel itself is the same on certain years (2004-2012). Check the parts fiche. I suggest that if you use the FZ1 parts (bearings,, spacers, collars, etc.) you won't have a problem.

I have done R6 rear wheel conversions on the GEN II to use a 180/55 for less weight and better turn-in (5.5" rim width - GEN I spec); however, I used the FZ1 bits including sprocket carrier with a custom bushing/spacer on the brake side. It did not appear to change the wheel centerline using that approach.

Back