Miles a day on LONG trip???

I just rode 420 miles on July 1st. Rode from San Jose to Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass, North up 395 to Hwy 89 and Monitor Pass followed by Hwy and Ebbits Pass back to the bay area.

It was my longest single day ride. I have my bike set-up to do what I want, which in my case is everything. The things that made me comfortable are:

1. Rear-sets - I'm short and the rear-sets allow me to position my feet where they should be and it is more comfortable with the benefits of looking good.

2. Convertibars - being able to adjust the bars for max comfort is great.

3. Seat - I have a Corbin. It took me a while to get used to the seat, but I really like it.

4. Windscreen - I'm using the Puig racing screen and It works better than stock.

I also stand up on the pegs, and generally stretch my arms and legs while riding.

Just got back from a 1350 mile trip over 5 days. Day one (400ish) and Day five (360ish) were slab days, mostly. The other days were all 8 hour ride days with lots of puttering, stopping, a u-turn clinic as we kept finding "paved" gravel roads or closed roads, and eating. That is my longest trip on the FZ1, and it left me in way better shape than those kind of days on the cruisers did.

I do note that I am still having a bit of neck burn when I hold my head certain ways, and some residual pain in my right wrist from some improper steep descent body mechanics, but other than that, the recovery time has been good.

I had a buddy mount a rigid frame for my cortech bags, and they worked well.

GirlyRide287.jpg

My hometown Buchanan, Va. is 1325 miles from Austin.. . for the past few years I have been making a couple trips a year.. always 2 days going and coming back.. and a different bike every year..

2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2009 Yamaha Tmax

Now getting my '05 FZ1 ready for such a trip...

I did 335 miles last Sunday. We stopped before every 100 miles (we had a V-Max in the group, so I wasn't the worst mpg). The twisty roads were fine, but the long, straight, flat road for the last 100 miles started to wear on me. My left hip and occasionally one or both knees got a bit troublesome. I stood up once, but I think I would have been happier if I had done it a few more times.

I don't like to take drugs, but I have to admit to taking a couple Aleve on the way home. It helped, but not as much as I'd hoped. It didn't help that it was around 95 degrees and I was the only one in the group that wore gear or a helmet. I was a little rough and tired the next day, but I'd do it again (and will later this year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

road Trip

Just returned from a four day road trip in the British Columbia mountains. the first two days were low miles, 200 and 230 the bike performed flawlessley. We toured the third day low milage and the last day was approximately a 320 mile day. the bike is an 02 with a jet kit and audiovox cruise control. Milage was 51
imperial here in Canada. the jet kit is set up for 2-5 thousand feet. I was pleased - at times we were at 100 mph to pass traffic. Raven riders jet is superb
In the heat with a full fairing on the bike I was happy with the heat range.

road trip

Hi , I can't post a map, but here is the trip.
day1: start Logan Lake B.C. to Kamloops -Vernon-Nakusp.
day 2: Nakusp ferry at Arrow lake , Revelstoke to Lake Louise.
day 3: Viewing Lake Louise and Banff and return to Lake Louise via ski resort. I can imagine the view would be fantastic in winter.
Day 4: Lake Louise -Hwy 1 -Kamloops- hwy5 branch to Logan Lake.
the weather was great just a slight sprinkle east of Revelstoke.

A mention, i have also added the risers from a Gen2 on my gen 1, this has improved my comfort zone . this is ok with standard cables.

the longest ride I take isn't all that long its around 200-250 miles from my place to my buddy's place upstate and then a fast past ride once we get there. we meet halfway and barely use highways. I stop once or twice for gas or get some water. I'm still on the stock seat and for me its ok but after 4-5 hours I'm ready to take a long break. My bike is definitely not set up for long rides tho, lower risers, wider bars, adjustable rearsets tucked higher and back farther, cut down stock windscreen. I'll be taking that trip again soon with my girlfriend on the back I'm sure she will need a break before I do even with the corbin seat I got for her and a backrest I got from hellgate

My longest trip was to the FZ1 Arkansas Gather.
584 miles from Brownwood, Tx to Eureka Springs, Ark. We drove all through Ark for 2 days and then I drove back to Tx on the 4th day. Each one of the trips from Tx to Ark was continuous driving. LOL Not the smartest thing I have ever done. :eyebrow:
The trick to long distance driving is to get a comfortable seat and pack well. Walk around and stretch at gas stops and probably the most important thing is to make little adjustments while you are driving. Don't sit like a statue. Adjust your position in small increments every 20 minutes or so. IMHO this is the most helpful thing to distance riding. I do have both a Throttlemeister and Crampbuster. I can't say one is better than the other - they are very different but at $10 - there is no denying that a Crampbuster (at least) is well worth the money.
Long distance riding is also like long distance running. You build up your tolerance the more you do it. So if you have a long trip coming up - build up to the long ride but making some smaller rides. It will help build your endurance and you will find little things that helps you feel more comfortable. Hope this helps.

149 miles in 101 heat on Sunday to Morningstar Resort

Did Sacramento back roads to Auburn past Forresthill and back. I was TOAST. This is all new to me. Here is what a friend wrote on FB who rides all over the West,

"Doug's back probably did pretty good. The reason he's whipped is because it was a mentally draining ride. New riders who do a trip like that r to busy in their head to enjoy the ride and take it as it comes. Bad thing is that you don't get that until u have experience. I give Doug a hard time out of friendship and know that he is still learning the ropes and learning and getting to know his ride. And his ride his learning him and getting to know him. They are both being carful. I think that is a good thing and do look forward when Doug and I can take a nice day trip and put a few miles under our ass'es."

8% downhill twisties, 55mph in a 45mph turn with 6 cars on my tail riding into the setting Sun and it's 101 outside. My first LONG ride alone. Showered and went to bed at 7pm.: owned:: owned:: owned:

''''My longest rides since 2/11/12 purchase has 40 miles round trip.'''

I do that going back and forth to school every day.
My fun canyon rides go between 100-300 miles. I am disabled with a back injury and can handle that, (with some meds). But before I got hurt, I was doing 60+ miles 2x's a day plus big canyon runs on the weekend. I put 26,000 miles in a year on my last bike.
You kinda just get used to living on your bike sometimes.
It just takes seat time..

I have had my 06 FZ1 for a couple weeks now, just rode down to the mid ohio vintage motorcycle gathering near lexington, oh last weekend. Put 600 miles on in 2 days. No problems, im a younger guy (22) so my body may be more forgiving than some, but as long as I stood up every now and then and stretched my legs out I could have riden the whole thing in one day. My bike is lowered as well. Its about finding your sweet spot on the seat, how your feet rest on the pegs, and for me a big one is floating over bumps. If you stay planted and just hammer over every hwy to bridge bump and pothole you come across I can see where these bikes could really make you sore due to the seating position.
Happy riding! :shine:

i regularly do 6-10 hour rides, 400-600 miles, best thing to do, take a break about every 2 hours to stretch, rehydrate. or if you like, make stops to see the scenery whenever its nice enough

360 in a day (much off it on back country roads).. the somewhat *impressive* part is that I did it 2-up. We were both pretty spent when we were done. My right hand wasn't happy (really don't like crampbuster though) and my arse was definitely unhappy.

.. would do it again in heartbeat though :D

Back